PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Stone Item

Lysander
2010-01-16, 05:13 PM
No, this has nothing to do with Harry Potter. That's really a philosopher's stone anyway.

Here's the idea. What if there was an item that granted its user temporary sorcerer spellcasting? It'd be consumable by anybody like a potion, but instead of casting one spell immediately it would allow the drinker to cast a number of spells over a short period of time.

The power it grants is temporary and has to be used right away, but being able to gain magical powers when needed would be useful and quite cool for any non-magical character. It could also be used by magicians to provide an extra edge, or to save their own spell slots for later.

Sorcerer's Stone

A sorcerer's stone is a type of potion prepared in an unhatched reptile egg (usually from a creature with some draconic origin). The outer eggshell quite durable but can be punctured with a thumb with a little effort. The inside is an entirely liquefied glowing ooze.

Drinking this ooze grants unspent sorcerer spell slots and a predetermined spell list, but no other sorcerer abilities or feats. This magical ability persists for one hour, after which any unspent spell slots are lost. Spells cast do not automatically end after the hour, instead lasting their normal duration.

How many spell slots and what level slots are gained are determined by the level of the potion. For example, a 3rd level stone would grant the spellcasting ability of a 3rd level sorcerer, and any spells cast would have an effective caster level of three. This allows someone to cast a spell if they otherwise lack the necessary prerequisites. The stone allows them to instinctively perform the necessary components, and temporarily grants them the Eschew Materials feat for those spells. They must provide any other require material, focus, or xp cost a spell they cast requires.

If the drinker can already cast sorcerer spells a Sorcerer's Stone grants magical ability entirely separate from their own, with its own independent spell lists, slots, feats, and caster level.

The ability to cast spells granted by a Sorcerer's Stone cannot be dispelled or disjuncted but the spells it grants can.

Silverscale
2010-01-16, 06:34 PM
That actually seems like an interesting item. You need to include a stat block including Item Price by level, Creation Cost, Creation Time,..........good start needs a couple details to be usable.

Latronis
2010-01-16, 08:25 PM
Don't forget the mention of costly material components and exp costs for spellcasting. The precedent is ofc you still must pay those things.

Lysander
2010-01-16, 09:09 PM
How about charging (100gp x spell level x 2) for each slot it grants, plus 1/25 of the total cost in xp. 0 level spell slots only cost 50gp.

So the costs would be (just starting with low levels for now):

{table="head"]Sorcerer Level|Spells|Gold
1|5/0 3/1|850gp
2|6/0 4/1|1100gp
3|6/0 5/1|1600gp
4|6/0 6/1 3/2|2700gp
5|6/0 6/1 4/2|3100gp
[/table]

Creating a Sorcerer Stone requires letting the egg soak in a specially prepared brew for one day per level of the stone. The creator only needs to attend the egg for the first day, it can be left alone for the remainder of the process. If the egg is pulled out of the brew prematurely it isn't able to grant one spell level per incomplete day, starting with the highest. It retains the higher caster level though.

The creator picks the spell list on the first day. They can only select arcane spells they themselves can cast, or if assisted in the egg's creation by a sorcerer by any spells the sorcerer can cast.

Latronis
2010-01-16, 09:27 PM
no 20th level sorcerer stones?

(good call btw :P)

Although really stopping it at 5th level sorcerer is odd, they don't even have 3rd level spells at that point. I say make it go upto 6! (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fly.htm)

Lysander
2010-01-16, 09:31 PM
no 20th level sorcerer stones?

(good call btw :P)

Although really stopping it at 5th level sorcerer is odd, they don't even have 3rd level spells at that point. I say make it go upto 6! (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fly.htm)

I think the eggs should go up much higher. I just haven't gotten around to doing all the math yet : )

Think they should go all the way up to 20? Or should it cut out earlier, like 10?

DracoDei
2010-01-16, 09:39 PM
I think that as long as the price is high enough it doesn't matter how high they go.

Latronis
2010-01-16, 09:45 PM
No i don't think they should go up all the way.

High level arcane spells are bad!

ok well they tend to be awesome but you don't wanna throw them around like candy, it's extra heapings of awesome ontop of your already awesome for spellcasters. Hell a commoner could go a black wyrm hunting!

I say 5th maybe 6th max and that should be hella 'spensive.

EDIT: that's 5th or 6th level spells to be clear

Temotei
2010-01-16, 10:04 PM
No i don't think they should go up all the way.

High level arcane spells are bad!

ok well they tend to be awesome but you don't wanna throw them around like candy, it's extra heapings of awesome ontop of your already awesome for spellcasters. Hell a commoner could go a black wyrm hunting!

I say 5th maybe 6th max and that should be hella 'spensive.

EDIT: that's 5th or 6th level spells to be clear

With all the money they're spending for temporary casting, you would I would imagine it would be okay to have it.

Latronis
2010-01-16, 10:10 PM
With all the money they're spending for temporary casting, you would I would imagine it would be okay to have it.

Is it costing triple standard cr20 encounters though? Even core only a single caster can make it back and then some if not.