PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Using a permanent 'Gust of Wind' spell

Dust
2010-01-16, 08:02 PM
The current campaign I'm playing in revolves around the exploration of the different elemental planes; the GM seems to reward one of us (seemingly at random) each time with magical items that match the location, power-wise.
For example, after a brief stint in the Elemental Plane of Earth, our 5th-level Sorcerer was awarded with a Staff of Earth and Stone and Eyes of Petrification.

(Note that I didn't say this was an especially GOOD or BALANCED campaign. The GM's a good friend though, and requested we keep things simple and our classes low-tier for him)

I'm playing a Scout and have just recieved MY treasure from the Elemental Plane of Air; four small beads with a Gust of Wind spell that has been added to them via Permanency.

This is incredibly problematic; while a powerful 60ft directable hurricane is useful, they prevent me from stealthing anywhere or doing anything remotely subtle. They blow over companions and take up both hands since I have no where to store them, etc.

Before I just chuck these items to the curb, does anyone have a creative suggestion on how this could actually work in my favor?

Edit: The irony of my avatar is not lost on me.

Draken
2010-01-16, 08:10 PM
Well. Since they are small beads you should consider finding a box to keep them.

Potential uses:

- Make the life of a flying enemy miserable.

- Making a ship go faster.

- Use Stick to trap these to a pair of boots and a pair of gloves and achieve turbo-flight (Iron Man movie, but with wind instead of fire).

Can't think of anything else.

jseah
2010-01-16, 08:14 PM
It's abusable. Not in the usual way however.

You could basically build an Gust of Wind driven turbine and start a factory. You know, the industrial revolution.

If there are NPCs capable of casting permanency on the thing, then you can attempt to change the setting to magic-technology. XD

Optimystik
2010-01-16, 08:14 PM
Turn them backwards, put them in your shoes. You now have a 50ft. circumstance bonus to your move speed and are very hard to pursue or hit with ranged weapons.

...if that isn't allowed, chuck 'em. I don't think Gust of Wind was meant to be carried around with you, for precisely the reasons you described.

abandon hope
2010-01-16, 08:23 PM
I'd be careful how you chuck them to the curb if there's even the slightest chance your DM will apply real world physics.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-01-16, 08:29 PM
Before you chuck them to the curb, have your character ask the rest of the party if they want them. That is, assuming you can't find a fix. I like the idea of keeping them in some sort of box, or the flight thing.

olentu
2010-01-16, 08:38 PM
Pandemonic Silver comes to mind or could you not just put them in a box.

tieto
2010-01-16, 08:53 PM
\- Use Stick to trap these to a pair of boots and a pair of gloves and achieve turbo-flight (Iron Man movie, but with wind instead of fire).

this made me laugh so hard.

Although this would be hard to control it would be hilarious.

Rixx
2010-01-16, 08:57 PM
Stretch your arms out to the sides. Hold each one in one hand, one facing forward and one facing backward. Spin.

Useless, but really fun.

Touchy
2010-01-16, 09:07 PM
Force it into an enemy mouth then force them to swallow, that should blow out their insides!

Reptar
2010-01-16, 09:10 PM
Make the largest whoopie cushion ever.
Get a hang glider, they're in the arms and equipment guide.
Take a trip to the bottom of the sea.
Defeat your random encounters with suppositories.
Defeat the BBEG with a suppository
Wash your hands.

If you can get a mini anti magic field the options get even more numerous.

Touchy
2010-01-16, 09:17 PM
Make the largest whoopie cushion ever.
Get a hang glider, they're in the arms and equipment guide.
Take a trip to the bottom of the sea.
Defeat your random encounters with suppositories.
Defeat the BBEG with a suppository
Wash your hands.

If you can get a mini anti magic field the options get even more numerous.

Attach one to the top of a staff and name it "Staff of Noah". :smallbiggrin:

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-01-16, 09:20 PM
Maybe get someting with an antimagic field on it and stash them both in a bag of holding?

Lysander
2010-01-16, 09:45 PM
Maybe get someting with an antimagic field on it and stash them both in a bag of holding?

There's no real need for the antimagic. Once its in the bag it's in another dimension. Let it blow in there if it wants.

Then you can pull it out and point it at enemies to knock them over, blow a ship's sail, all kinds of cool stuff.

Knaight
2010-01-16, 09:59 PM
Assuming any appreciation for real world physics, put them in rings, then have some sort of clasp that closes over them. If it is air tight, then basically nothing can happen with them. Until you unclasp them. The issues are:
a) Finding something that can withstand the force. 60 mph wind isn't a big deal, but if it is much faster at the source(due to needing to spread), then it is. Given magic, I would say it isn't, but I'm not GMing this.
b) Opening and closing the clasp. Particularly closing it.

The solution: Command Word clasp, custom magic item ring. 4 of them, 1 for each of 4 party members, or 1 for everyone but you and the rest for you if you have 2 or 3 people.

Tricksy Hobbits
2010-01-16, 10:01 PM
There's no real need for the antimagic. Once its in the bag it's in another dimension. Let it blow in there if it wants.

Yeah, but it would make finding the other stuff in the bag a hassle, so, unless you want to waste a whole bag on 4 beads...

Moglorosh
2010-01-16, 11:19 PM
The solution: Command Word clasp, custom magic item ring. 4 of them, 1 for each of 4 party members, or 1 for everyone but you and the rest for you if you have 2 or 3 people.I had a Captain Planet flashback when I read this.

Also, unless the spell actually creates new air rather than just moving existing air, once they're contained by any means they should cease functioning until exposed to air again.

Lysander
2010-01-16, 11:20 PM
Yeah, but it would make finding the other stuff in the bag a hassle, so, unless you want to waste a whole bag on 4 beads...

Handy Haversack then.

Temotei
2010-01-16, 11:21 PM
Force it into an enemy mouth then force them to swallow, that should blow out their insides!

Whoo!

Also, know that I thought of Legend of Dragoon when I saw this thread.

"Gust of wind pants!" (actually, it's dance, but...)

elonin
2010-01-16, 11:29 PM
I'd stash them in a glove of storing.

Dust
2010-01-17, 12:13 AM
Thanks, guys. Many good ideas here.