PDA

View Full Version : [4E]Magic and Monsters: "Gritty" 4th Edition Rules

jmbrown
2010-01-16, 09:15 PM
Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition assumes a specific type of game. This isn't a fault in itself but a result the rules have on the play style. This topic will be a collection of house rules I've formulated over the past year and a half as a way to turn 4E into a "grittier" swords-and-sorcery type game as opposed to the epic fantasy style it is now.

Bloodied Value
Add the following sentence to the end of "Bloodied Value" line in the Hit Points box on page 293 of the Player's Handbook.

Bloodied Value: While bloodied, all attacks and defenses suffer a -2 penalty.

Healing Surges
Replace the following line on page 293 of the Player's Handbook.

Healing Surge Value:When you spend a healing surge, you regain 1d6 + half your level in hit points. The variable increases to 2d6 at 6th level, 3d6 at 11th level, 4d6 at 16th level, 5d6 at 21st level, and 6d6 at 26th level.

Dev's Note: This rule was added to remove the static feeling of healing which made it feel very artificial and "videogame-ey." It also puts more importance on healing potions (which are absolute garbage by default) because they heal a specified amount. For most classes, you only miss out on a few hit points had you used the normal system. For example, a 6th level cleric with 12 constitution has 49 hit points and a healing surge value of 12. Under my system, that cleric's healing surge value is 3 + 2d6 which gives you an average of 9 or 10 (3.5 + 3.5 + 3).

Critical Hit
Add the following line to "Critical Hits" on page 278 of the Player's Handbook.

Bleeding: If you're struck by a critical hit, you acquire the bleeding condition.

Conditions

Bleeding
* You suffer 1 point of damage after every standard or move action.
* You can move 1 square per round without suffering damage as a result of bleeding.
* Bleeding is removed by healing at least 1 point of damage or succeeding on a heal check DC 15.
* Multiple bleeding conditions stack.

Starvation
A character can survive without food for a number of days equal to his constitution or strength (whichever is higher). At the end of the time period the character must succeed on a DC 20 Endurance check. Success buys the character another day. Each successful check increases the DC by 5 for the next day.

When a character fails the check he becomes starving, loses one healing surge, and must continue to make checks. A character reduced to 0 healing surges as a result of starvation falls unconscious. An unconscious, starving character can survive for a number of days equal to 1 + constitution modifier.

Healing surges and consciousness lost through starvation cannot be healed until the character eats a nourishing meal.

Dev's Notes: The effect of starvation on the human body is called catabolysis. The body gradually breaks down fat and muscle tissue for energy (mostly muscle which contains the highest amount of calories). In the case of this rule, the stronger or healthier the character, the longer they can survive without food.

Dehydration
A character can survive without water for 1 day. At the end of the time period the character must succeed on a DC 20 Endurance check. Success buys the character another day. Each successful check increases the DC by 5 for the next day.

When a character fails the check, he becomes dehydrated and loses 1 healing surge and must continue to make checks. A character without healing surges dies. Healing surges lost this way cannot be recovered until the character drinks at least a liter of water.

Dev's Notes: Dehydration is more dangerous than starvation. In temperate weather (average 70 degrees Fahrenheit or 21 degrees Celsius), resting, and in a shaded area the average human can survive for 10 days without water. These rules assume you're traveling or actively moving. Reduce the DC by half if the character stays in a shaded area and is doing nothing but resting.

The rules for dehydration and starvation were added because, by default, characters can literally survive for months without food or water. Even more ridiculous, higher level characters actually die faster than lower level ones. That's right, assuming they have equal constitution, Farmer Brown the 1st level fighter can survive longer without water than Big McLargeHuge the 30th level demigod fighter unless the latter succeeds on 16 consecutive endurance checks (up to DC 115!).

Extended Rest
Replace the following line on page 263 of the Player's Handbook.

Regain Hit Points and Healing Surges: At the end of an extended rest, you regain a number of hit points equal to your constitution modifier + your level. You regain a number of healing surges equal to 1 + your constitution modifier. Paragon tier characters regain 2 healing surges and epic level characters regain 3.

Dev's Note: Most people will be fully healed by the start of the day regardless but they'll have spent additional healing surges to do so. The idea of this rule is to eliminate instant healing as the result of 6 hours of sleep. In most situations it will take at least 36 hours for the party to be at full capacity; 18 hours to fully heal and another 18 hours to regain spent healing surges.

Called Shot
Called shot is an attack against a specific body part at the cost of reduced accuracy.
Attack: A called shot is a basic melee or ranged attack against a target's head, arms, or legs. Creatures without discernable anatomy cannot be attacked with a called shot.
Damage: Normal weapon damage.
Arms: Basic attack at -2 penalty. Target is weakened until the end of the round.
Head: Basic attack at -6 penalty. Target is blinded until the end of the round.
Legs: Basic attack at -4 penalty. Target is slowed until the end of the round.

Dev's Note: Called shot may be entirely unnecessary and powers will almost always trump it, however, I like the idea of giving players more mundane tactical actions instead of relying on power loadout all the time.

Deadlier Monsters
The damage monsters cause from attacks is increased by 150%.

Dev's Note: 4E monsters are built on a "high hp, low damage" design philosophy which can lead to them being stupidly weak for their level or ridiculously powerful (as is the case with most swarms although errata often nerfs them). Furthermore the PCs can dominate the action economy, lock down even the toughest solos, and never have to worry about healing with multiple leaders. The monsters need a break.

Death and Dying/Healing A Dying Character
Replace "Lower than 10" in the Death and Dying box page 295 of the Player's Handbook.

Lower than 10: You slip one step closer to death and suffer 1 point of damage. If you get this result three times before you take a rest, you die.

Replace this line under "Healing A Dying Character" box on page 295 of the Player's Handbook.

Regain Hit Points: When you are dying and receive healing, you regain hit points as normal. If the healing effect requires you to spend a healing surge but you have none left, you are restored to 1 hit point. In both cases if you aren't brought above 0 hit points you remain unconscious but not dying. If you take any damage while at 0 hit points or lower you begin dying as normal.

Coming Soon!
Wealth By Level

Suleman
2010-01-17, 06:28 AM
An interesting, if a bit overly complicated rules change. Keeping track of stacking bleeding conditions and rolling whenever you use a healing surge are changes that definitely force the player to think more about the game mechanics while playing. Whether this is good or bad, I can't yet say.

I personally don't think that randomized healing is a very good idea. Healing surges are meant to make healing simple and consistent. Consistency is good, as it allows the player to plan ahead and not feel cheated when things go wrong. With this change, healing becomes more mechanical and increases reliance on health potions, which is both annoying and, as you put it, videogamey.

But, if you really want to make these changes to your game, they shouldn't be too much of a hassle. The changes aren't too hard to understand.

jmbrown
2010-01-17, 10:48 AM
As odd as it might sound, "consistency" is the problem that I'm trying to remove. While no edition of D&D has ever claimed to be realistic, all of them before 4E has put a focus on variable factors. I'd say battles are 90% tactics, power, and equipmen while the last 10% is luck of the dice which can sometimes trump the former factor.

4E's consistency is what makes it feel mechanical. You can always count on being at the top of your game after 18 hours. You can always count on healing at least 1/4 of your health when you spend a healing surge. By adding a unknown variable, you increase tension and force players to act more conservatively.

Starsinger
2010-01-17, 12:59 PM
Attack: A called shot is a basic melee or ranged attack against a target's head, arms, or legs. Creatures without discernable anatomy cannot be attacked with a called shot.
Damage: Normal weapon damage.
Arms: Basic attack at -2 penalty. Target is weakened until the end of the round.

As far as I'm aware, there is no quantified creature without discernable anatomy, such a thing being a creature from older editions(?) that you're trying to thrust back into 4e. But specifically, at-will weaken for only a -2 penalty to hit? Yum. Congratulations people, the martial controller has been born.

Swordgleam
2010-01-17, 04:01 PM
I like most of these ideas, though I'm not as fond of not getting everything back at the start of the day. That's just my style, though; that rule encourages people to camp somewhere safe for a few days to heal up, which I don't particularly desire in my games.

When I was starting my 4e game, I asked the RPT readers for some advice on rules to make it gritty (and dark, but most suggestions focused on gritty). You might find some of their suggestions worth thinking about:
http://www.roleplayingtips.com/readissue.php?number=421
http://www.roleplayingtips.com/readissue.php?number=422