PDA

View Full Version : Need Help -- Writer's Block

Soterion
2010-01-16, 11:33 PM
Okay, I wouldn't say technically that it's writer's block, but I'm 75,000 words into my novel and I'm stuck. I know what comes next, but the next section intimidates the hebebus out of me, because it absolutely has to be written well if the remainder of the book is to work, and I'm concerned that if I start off on the wrong foot, I won't be able to recover and the whole section will be written badly. Any thoughts on how I can get past this and write?

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-16, 11:51 PM
Okay, I wouldn't say technically that it's writer's block, but I'm 75,000 words into my novel and I'm stuck. I know what comes next, but the next section intimidates the hebebus out of me, because it absolutely has to be written well if the remainder of the book is to work, and I'm concerned that if I start off on the wrong foot, I won't be able to recover and the whole section will be written badly. Any thoughts on how I can get past this and write?

Clear your mind, young padawan. :smalltongue:

*Gives a really awesome looking pen*

An elegant weapon, for a more... civilized age.

Well, you won't get anywhere by worrying about it. Jump in there, and write it!

But tread carefully!

Now Go! *Kicks Soterion into the pit of writing*

Your's is a story that will pierce the heavens!

Did that help at all? :smalltongue:

reorith
2010-01-17, 12:06 AM
when in doubt, kill someone off.

don't believe in yourself! believe in me, who believes in you!

PhoeKun
2010-01-17, 12:10 AM
Just write the section. You didn't fall into a crazy alternate universe where rewrites are punishable by burning at the stake. No no, everything's still done by lethal injection. :smalltongue:

In seriousness, I understand the desire to get it done, and get it done well, and I know that things can feel like they hinge on you knocking it out of the park, but... really, they don't. Everything is depending on you getting from the very beginning to the very end. There will be time enough after it's been fully realized to fret and worry over the refinement, which will doubtlessly include the rewriting of various sections or chapters of the novel. That's kind of how the game is played.

So just play it cool. Play out the scenario in your head, and write what comes to mind. Then go have a refreshing glass of iced tea or something, come back, and go over the whole thing with a fine tooth comb, as required by the universal laws of writing.

Soterion
2010-01-17, 12:25 AM
when in doubt, kill someone off.

Ironically, that is exactly what's going to happen in the next section.

Pyrian
2010-01-17, 01:01 AM
Write it terribly, and then re-do it. :smalltongue:

zoobob9
2010-01-17, 02:03 AM
i know this sound stupid but...

1. print out a picture of paris hilon or other hated starlet.
2. safey pin it to a pilow.
3. while typing/writing, keep pillow nearby.
4. when frustrated, punch pillow as hard as you can to releive stress.
5. post what the novels about.

Anuan
2010-01-17, 02:11 AM
Fiiiiine, hang on, I'll go get the Writer's Laxatives.

Lord Seth
2010-01-17, 03:43 AM
Okay, I wouldn't say technically that it's writer's block, but I'm 75,000 words into my novel and I'm stuck. I know what comes next, but the next section intimidates the hebebus out of me, because it absolutely has to be written well if the remainder of the book is to work, and I'm concerned that if I start off on the wrong foot, I won't be able to recover and the whole section will be written badly. Any thoughts on how I can get past this and write?Write the section even if it's written badly, then come back to it later and fix it up if necessary?

Helanna
2010-01-17, 08:56 AM
Well one important thing is not to put it off too long. I've lost a lot of stories by waiting so long to write them for whatever reason that I end up losing all interest.

You could probably also check out the Writer's Workshop linked to in my signature to either ask for advice or post the section after you've written it to get it critiqued.

But I suggest you just start writing and see what happens. Who knows, maybe just starting it will help get rid of the block.

KuReshtin
2010-01-17, 10:34 AM
Pirates. Or Ninjas. Either works.

Soterion
2010-01-17, 08:00 PM
Thanks, all. I've written another 500 words--marginally closer to the end, but still closer.

I hate my books. I have two other books pestering me, but I can't start them until I finish this one. I'm sitting here, trying to work on The Wolves of Autumn, while Carboniferous Days knocks on the back of my brain, saying, "Write me! Write me!" And I'm like, "Dude, I barely even know what you're about, and even then I still know you're going to be about a hundred times as difficult as Autumn, so shut up."

And Planethammer sulks in the corner, muttering that I don't like him as much as I like the new guy, and that's why I haven't worked on him in six months, and no matter how much I tell him I don't have his plot fully worked out, he won't shut up.

So you see, I gots problems.