PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle DMing/Playing a solo game?

Coidzor
2010-01-17, 12:16 AM
That is to say, what do you do when making a game with only the one player and the one DM?

The most I've seen is basically adjusting encounters to the new 1/4 Effective Party Level, ala Joe Wood (I think that was his name...) from that one famous Commoner solo campaign from the WOTC boards.

The second seems to basically be gestalting or being some kind of triple-threat class that can at least get around the world/navigate the dungeon by itself.

I think I've seen mentioned once having the player control a party of 3-4, or just a pair of PCs...

So, anyone have any experience on either end?

On a scale of 1 to OMG EYES BLEEDING NAO, how bad is such an idea, in general terms?

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 12:29 AM
A player running a party is pretty awesome.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-01-17, 12:37 AM
This would be a better use of leadership than normal.

Playing a Druid is nice in this situation, because instead of overshadowing the fighter with your class features you're necessarily taking his place. At level 1, a party consisting of Druid and Beguiler pretty much covers all conceivable bases. At higher level, Druid or Cleric / Wizard does the same.

The only solos I've actually been in have been freeform, which works better in that setting IMO.

Ichneumon
2010-01-17, 02:22 AM
In 4e, it make sure the player is either a defender or a leader and I'd use minions.

Jeramiahh
2010-01-17, 04:35 AM
I've run a couple dozen solo games, over the course of the last three years, and I have a few basic tips.

Keep combats fairly simple. Lots of little guys, at a much lower level, such as ~6 Warrior 1 goblins, for a 6th level PC, or one single guy, at the PCs CR or slightly less. Keep it to 1-2 fights per day, and be generous with providing things they don't have (I usually let them heal to full, every night, for instance.)

I also usually throw in a DM controlled ally, usually no higher than half their level, though there's always exceptions. Usually either a low level caster, to provide magic support, or a simple melee fighter type.

A lot of encounters end up being RP'd out, snuck past, or simply run away from; plan for these instances, and encourage them. Also, while rogues can have good success with the sneaking and roleplaying parts, keep in mind that, alone, a rogue is a very poor fighter, since they won't be getting sneak attacks, beyond the first round. Clerics, sorcerers, and any solid fightery types tend to be very good for solo games.

Feel free to PM me, if you have any more specific questions; I'm actually writing up the end of an entire campaign done for a solo player, right now. =P

Katana_Geldar
2010-01-17, 05:01 AM
I try not to, as it involves a specifically created game. One week I was left with just one player at the table as all the others had excuses. We had gaming, but not as fun as usual.