PDA

View Full Version : Help, Malware Defense!

Thoughtbot360
2010-01-17, 03:58 AM
I got a trojan thats trying to get me to install the phony Malware remover: Malware Defense (which has a logo it that resembles Windows security, which the install parades around as.). It is also doing random **** thats slowing down and even freezing my computer shortly after boot-up. It starts up an installer if I accidentally hit enter!

It seems to be able to block anit-Malware sites, unless I view them Cached (which I only know how to do via Google.) So I don't think I can download another program.

I have Avast! antivirus, Zonealarm Firewall.

Anyway, its going to freeze soon, and I'll have to restart!

Help?

Bhu
2010-01-17, 05:28 AM
These guys might be able to help
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/

Anuan
2010-01-17, 06:20 AM
Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware may help.

Neko Toast
2010-01-17, 06:25 AM
This link (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-malware-defense) will help you. I had this same problem not too long ago.

Surfing HalfOrc
2010-01-17, 06:29 AM
Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) usually does the trick in removing this type of malware. If this link is blocked by the malware program, upi can always download Malwarebytes to a thumbdrive, and remove the malware by running it from there.

nanobot_swarm
2010-01-17, 02:18 PM
Open up Internet options, go to connections, hit Lan settings. If the box for using a proxy is checked, un check it. That should stop it from blocking sites.
Download rkill, when that is done, activate it, and it should stop any Malware activities.
Finally download the latest version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, have it do a scan and find all infected programs, then select remove when the scan is finished.
Malware problems should be dealt with.
If there is a problem with downloading rkill, download it from a diferent computer and save it to a flash drive, then use.
Also you might want to instal the firefox browser, so far as I've experianced, no malware can block it.

Minstrel Cowboy
2010-01-17, 02:27 PM
If you have fire fox there is an app called flash block. Use flash block on the site until the problem is fixed.

lesser_minion
2010-01-17, 04:58 PM
Also you might want to instal the firefox browser, so far as I've experianced, no malware can block it.

No. Any web browser can be 'blocked' by malware using the same methods that AdMuncher and genuine security programs use, or by a variant on the method used by Malware Defense.

Any web browser, if not fully up to date - or if no solution has been developed to a software hole - can expose you to drive-by download attacks, among other system access holes. Firefox is no exception.

Overconfidence in a web browser or piece of security software could quite easily be more dangerous than not bringing security software to the table.

NoScript, FlashBlock, etc. aren't going to get you round a piece of rogue security software either - it doesn't use a plugin or anything like that to block websites, it just sets things up so that your web browser talks to it now, instead of talking to your normal DNS server.

It can help you avoid such a thing being installed, but if you've already been hit, they aren't that useful any more.

Thoughtbot360
2010-01-18, 04:36 PM
No. Any web browser can be 'blocked' by malware using the same methods that AdMuncher and genuine security programs use, or by a variant on the method used by Malware Defense.

Sad but true. I already was using Firefox.

The computer is currently in the shop, but strangely they can't seem to even boot it up (that didn't happen for me....I think I might be dealing with some less than tech-saavy people over at office depot).

Thoughtbot360
2010-01-19, 09:57 PM
I've taken the computer to a shop, and most of the problems seem to be cleared up. The removal of the root kit is suspected to have potentially damaged windows, but so far, everything seems fine.

Besides, I'm pretty sure I can reinstall Windows on my own.