PDA

View Full Version : (3.5e) Redundant templates

Sliver
2010-01-17, 04:49 AM
So (:smalltongue:) assuming you are the DM and you ignore the restrictions on who you can apply a template to, how would applying redundant templates would change a creature?

I'm talking about fire elemental with the fire elemental creature template, half golem golems, half ogre ogres, half dragon dragons, fiendish fiends etc..

Temotei
2010-01-17, 05:01 AM
How would you ever explain half-dragon true dragons?

Sliver
2010-01-17, 05:04 AM
Whats wrong with half red dragon (half red dragon) red dragon?

Temotei
2010-01-17, 05:06 AM
Whats wrong with half red dragon (half red dragon) red dragon?

Being 150% red dragon is really difficult to explain...:smallamused:

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-17, 05:08 AM
Half Vampire Vampire.

Anthropomorphic Bat Werebat.

Fishy
2010-01-17, 05:11 AM
other half, also orc.

Sliver
2010-01-17, 05:11 AM
Anthropomorphic Bat Werebat.

Especially if it is a true born Werebat (for at will transformation).. Hybrid form makes so much sense...

Eloel
2010-01-17, 05:41 AM
other half, also orc.

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

BobVosh
2010-01-17, 05:56 AM
How would you ever explain half-dragon true dragons?

Well, when a black and a red dragon fall in love...what happens? I mean dragons can mate with anything (and I mean ANYTHING).

Half red dragon gelatinous cubes makes one annoyed, and curious. It is large so it should have wings. It has a breath weapon that comes from...somewhere. Flies at 30 too, that is scary on a G Cube.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-17, 05:59 AM
Well, when a black and a red dragon fall in love...what happens? I mean dragons can mate with anything (and I mean ANYTHING).

Half red dragon gelatinous cubes makes one annoyed, and curious. It is large so it should have wings. It has a breath weapon that comes from...somewhere. Flies at 30 too, that is scary on a G Cube.

Gelatinous Wings: What happens when you don't cook them long enough.

Runestar
2010-01-17, 06:02 AM
By the rules, there is nothing stopping you from applying the half-troll template to a troll...:smallbiggrin:

While not entirely redundant, I have always been interested in contrasting combinations, such as half-fire water elemental.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-17, 06:08 AM
Half Fire Elemental Half Black Dragon Troll.

Sophismata
2010-01-17, 11:57 PM
Half-Dragon Draconic White Dragonspawn Dragonwrought Kobold?

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-18, 12:04 AM
Doesn't a half-golem golem get a random breath weapon from pretty much nowhere?

Half-Dragon Dragon is actually pretty rubbish, it gets a boost to stats and not too much else...

Narazil
2010-01-18, 12:10 AM
Doesn't a half-golem golem get a random breath weapon from pretty much nowhere?

Half-Dragon Dragon is actually pretty rubbish, it gets a boost to stats and not too much else...
Uhm. Half-Dragon (White) Red Dragon - immunity to both Fire and Cold? Yes please! Cold breath attack? Even more awesome.

Temotei
2010-01-18, 12:21 AM
Uhm. Half-Dragon (White) Red Dragon - immunity to both Fire and Cold? Yes please! Cold breath attack? Even more awesome.

Then stack a bunch of other templates granting immunities until you're immune to adventurers.

Like the Chuck Norris template, which grants--

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-18, 12:24 AM
I didn't think of stacking different color dragon templates :smallredface:

absolmorph
2010-01-18, 12:33 AM

A half red dragon black guy? Actually, that's a bad joke.
A half red dragon black dragon or half black dragon red dragon would be the result. Basically, a slightly tougher black or red dragon with the ability to breath fire or acid once per day (depending which is the base).

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-18, 12:35 AM
Half lime jello Gelatinous cube? :smallyuk:

Temotei
2010-01-18, 12:39 AM
Half lime jello Gelatinous cube? :smallyuk:

Weakness: piercing damage (forks) and slashing damage (spoons).

Strengths: Tasty.

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-18, 12:46 AM
Weakness: piercing damage (forks) and slashing damage (spoons).

Strengths: Tasty.

But every bit paralyzes you, unless you are already immune to paralysis. So good, yet so deadly!

Sliver
2010-01-18, 12:51 AM
There is a half jello template? (Imagines an Tucker's half jello kobolds, half jello trolls, half jello dragons.. Jellooooooooooooo..)

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-18, 01:00 AM
There is a half jello template? (Imagines an Tucker's half jello kobolds, half jello trolls, half jello dragons.. Jellooooooooooooo..)

No. I just made it up because I was thinking of how redundant can you get, and a jello flavored Gelatinous cube sounded redundant enough to enter the Department Of Redundancy Department.

Sliver
2010-01-18, 01:03 AM
Awwww :smallfrown: You promised me a half jello template!

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-18, 01:11 AM

Homebrew it, and PM me it! :smallredface:

Sophismata
2010-01-18, 01:13 AM
You could probably whip something up.

Type changes to Ooze, Dex and Wis go to 1, but you get +14 to Cha due to tastiness.

Damage type depends on flavour.

Lime is acid, raspberry is fire, blueberry is cold, lemon is lightning and so on...

Temotei
2010-01-18, 01:13 AM

We should make one.

Size and Type: The creature’s type changes to ooze. Size is unchanged. Do not recalculate base attack bonus or saves.
Hit Dice:
Speed:
Armor Class:
Attack:
Full Attack:
Damage:
Special Attacks: A half-Jello creature gains the ability to deal damage by coming into contact with other creatures or objects, based on its flavor. Lemon: electricity; strawberry/cherry/orange: fire; blue raspberry, blueberry: cold; lime: acid. The damage dealt is equal to 10 + ½ creature's HD + creature's Con modifier per full round of contact
Special Qualities: Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning, blind (but have the blindsight special quality), with immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight, not subject to critical hits or flanking, tasty presence
Abilities: Str +2, Dex -8, Con +6, Int 0, Cha +10
Skills: Half-Jellos have a +8 racial bonus on Balance checks. Otherwise same as the base creature.
Environment:
Challenge Rating:
Alignment:
Level Adjustment:

Tasty Presence (Ex): A half-Jello creature can unsettle a foe's stomach with its mere presence. The ability takes effect whenever the half-Jello is attacked or comes into contact with a creature. Creatures within a radius of 30 feet + 5 x the creature’s Cha modifier are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the creature. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a Will save (DC 10 + ½ creature’s HD + creature’s Cha modifier) remains immune to that creature’s tasty presence for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Creatures that do not eat are not affected by tasty presence, although creatures that need not eat, but can, are affected.

Do what you will. Then we can fill it in! Whoo! :smallbiggrin:

Sliver
2010-01-18, 01:24 AM
It should have some aura, of despair maybe, that effects any hostile creatures... It is harder to attack the lump of tastyness, and you can't help it but feel sorry for it not liking you..

golentan
2010-01-18, 01:26 AM
Why not make a Vampire Vampire? No half, take a creature, apply the template, and apply it again.

Shalist
2010-01-18, 01:29 AM

On another game (http://www.dsl-mud.org/algoron/remorts.asp) I play, younger dragons are often referred to as "pudding scales," does that count?

Temotei
2010-01-18, 01:34 AM
It should have some aura, of despair maybe, that effects any hostile creatures... It is harder to attack the lump of tastyness, and you can't help it but feel sorry for it not liking you..

How about that? Tasty presence.

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-18, 03:07 AM
We should make one.

Size and Type: The creature’s type changes to ooze. Size is unchanged. Do not recalculate base attack bonus or saves.
Hit Dice:
Speed:
Armor Class:
Attack:
Full Attack:
Damage:
Special Attacks: A half-Jello creature gains the ability to deal damage by coming into contact with other creatures or objects, based on its flavor. Lemon: electricity; strawberry/cherry/orange: fire; blue raspberry, blueberry: cold; lime: acid. The damage dealt is equal to 10 + ½ creature's HD + creature's Con modifier per full round of contact
Special Qualities: Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning, blind (but have the blindsight special quality), with immunity to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight, not subject to critical hits or flanking, tasty presence
Abilities: Str +2, Dex -8, Con +6, Int 0, Cha +10
Skills: Half-Jellos have a +8 racial bonus on Balance checks. Otherwise same as the base creature.
Environment:
Challenge Rating:
Alignment:
Level Adjustment:

Tasty Presence (Ex): A half-Jello creature can unsettle a foe's stomach with its mere presence. The ability takes effect whenever the half-Jello is attacked or comes into contact with a creature. Creatures within a radius of 30 feet + 5 x the creature’s Cha modifier are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the creature. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a Will save (DC 10 + ½ creature’s HD + creature’s Cha modifier) remains immune to that creature’s tasty presence for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Creatures that do not eat are not affected by tasty presence, although creatures that need not eat, but can, are affected.

Do what you will. Then we can fill it in! Whoo! :smallbiggrin:

Needs DR 5/Forks or Spoons, and takes double damage from sporks. Whipped Cream should incur a slow effect. :elan:

Also, due to their sheer jello-y color the half-jello creatures should have a penalty on hiding, or at the very least lose the Transparent feature off Gelatinous Cubes. :smalltongue:

Sliver
2010-01-18, 03:17 AM
It should gain something like dodge bonus to AC or retain Dex bonus to AC even if FF..

Attacks should be same as base creature but it should get a slam attack and all natural attack's damage is upgraded in a similar to the elementals way..

Urban Environment, favores wizard's kitchen, Organization: Solitary, because there can only be one..

It should get a bonus to grapple.. Because you don't want to free yourself, you are hugging jello!