PDA

View Full Version : Time Lord (D&D 3.5 Monster) (Doctor Who Inspired Thread)

Drolyt
2010-01-17, 12:58 PM
Here is the Time Lord:

I'm a Time Lord... I'm not a human being, I walk in Eternity...
Time Lord
Medium Outsider (Native)
HD 20d8+200 (290)
Speed 60' ft. (12 squares)
Init: +14 (+10 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
AC 39 (+10 Dex, +5 Deflection, +5 Natural, +4 Armor, +4 Shield, +1 Dodge); touch 26; flat-footed 28
BAB +20; Grp +30
Attack +5 Keen Brilliant Energy Longsword +37
(1d8+15, 18-20/x2)
Full-Attack +5 Keen Brilliant Energy Longsword +37/+37/+32/+27/+22 (1d8+15, 18-20/x2)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Lore, Spell-Like Abilities, Spells
Special Qualities Haste (Ex), Mage Armor (Ex), Regeneration, Shield (Ex), Spell Resistance 30
Saves Fort +24 Ref +25 Will +24
Abilities Str 30, Dex 30, Con 30, Int 30, Wis 30, Cha 30
Skills Time Lords treat all skills as class skills. They generally have max ranks in every Knowledge skill.
Feats Empower Spell, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Quicken Spell, Weapon Focus (Longsword)
Environment Any
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 20
Treasure Time Lords are equipped as if they were an NPC of their challenge rating. A single magic weapon is typical of Time Lords with no class levels, though many more powerful Time Lords carry artifacts and other powerful magic items. All Time Lords also carry a magical Spellbook that contains all Wizard and Cleric spells in the Player's Handbook, plus the Celerity line of spells if you have access to the Player's Handbook II.
Alignment Any
Advancement by Class Level; Favored Class None (Time Lords usually take prestige classes; regardless they never take XP penalties for multiclassing)
Level Adjustment +10
Time Lords are an enigmatic race whose true origins remain obscure. In appearance they are exactly like Humans, and seem to possess the very same range of skin tones, hair colors, eye colors, etc., though they are far more powerful than any mortal species and do not age. Legend has it that they were once the masters of a material plane world known as Gallifrey, and that they commanded an artifact known as the Time Vortex which allowed them to become more powerful than the gods. According to this legend there was a great war that consumed the heavens, so that when all hope seemed lost the Time Lords joined the battle. It is said that they very nearly turned the tide, but at that time the Vortex itself came under attack. It was believed that if the Vortex was damaged the Multiverse itself would die; knowing this the Time Lords chose to rewrite history so that Gallifrey never existed, but neither did the Vortex or the enemy that had nearly conquered the Multiverse. Regardless it is certain that less than 100 Time Lords ever existed in this timeline, and only a few dozen survive today. They are so rare that it requires at least a DC 30 Knowledge check (Arcana, History, Religion, or The Planes) to even know of their existence.
Combat:
Time Lords make good warriors, though they prefer to fight using their magic or better yet, not at all. They invariably cast various defensive spells before engaging in any combat. If you have access to the Player's Handbook II Time Lords always have Greater Celerity prepared. After preparing their defenses they use their spells to try to control the battlefield, never attacking directly until they have an advantage. However, when it comes to dealing damage a Time Lord usually either transforms using Shapechange or a similar spell or uses a magic weapon; their spells are used exclusively for defense and to control the battlefield.
Haste (Ex): Time Lords are constantly under an effect similar to the Haste Spell. This ability works exactly like the spell, save that it is an extraordinary ability. These benefits are included in the statistics above.
Lore (Ex): This ability functions as the Bardic Knowledge ability of a 20th level Bard.
Mage Armor (Ex): Time Lords are protected by invisible armor similar to the Mage Armor spell, save that it is an extraordinary ability. These benefits are included in the statistics above.
Regeneration (Ex): A Time Lord is not easily killed. If you manage to slay their physical body, a new one appears within a day (4d6 hours) at any location they choose on the same plane. Their new body is not necessarily anything like their old one, and can easily be of a different ethnic appearance or even gender, though they seem to have some level of control over their new appearance. There is a limit however: they can only regenerate in this manner 12 times before they die for good. It is not clear if there is any way to revive them after this, but spells that require a body do not work.
Shield (Ex): Time Lords are protected by an invisible shield similar to the Shield spell, save that it is an extraordinary ability. These benefits are included in the statistics above.
Spell-Like Abilities: At Will- Greater Teleport, Haste, Plane Shift, Slow, Vision 3/day- Temporal Stasis, Time Stop 1/Day- Wish CL 20th, DC is 20 + Spell Level
Spells: Time Lords cast spells as a 20th level Wizard and a 20th level Archivist (Heroes of Horror; if you don't have that supplement simply treat it as a Wizard with the Cleric spell list. Time Lords do not worship deities, but manipulate Divine Magic just as if it were Arcane Magic).
Need to know whether the CR and Level Adjustment are accurate. Besides that, any thoughts are welcome. Fluff to come soon. Fluff is here, and I added regeneration to their special qualities. More Fluff to come, added some abilities related to their great amount of knowledge.

Drolyt
2010-01-17, 03:11 PM
In the off chance someone uses this material in a game, the following should not be read by players.

Note: Unfinished, needs skills and Hierophant/Archmage abilities and likely something else I forgot. Also the Pseudonatural template doesn't work very well, he's essentially immune to spells and can't hit himself without rolling a natural 20.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die...
Rassilon (Pseudonatural Time Lord Archmage 5 Hierophant 5)
Medium Outsider (Extraplanar)
HD 20d8+300 + 5d4+45 + 5d8+45 (620)
Speed 90' ft. (18 squares)
Init: +19 (+15 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
AC 74 (+15 Dex, +5 Deflection, +35 Natural, +4 Armor, +4 Shield, +1 Dodge); touch 31; flat-footed 58
BAB +20; Grp +41
Attack Tentacle Rake +57 (2d8+21)
Full-Attack 10 Tentacle Rakes +57 (2d8+21 each)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Constant Insight (Su), Improved Grab (Ex), Lore, Rotting Constriction (Ex), Spell-Like Abilities, Spells
Special Qualities Acid Resistance 35, Alternate Form (Su), Damage Reduction 15/Epic, Haste (Ex), Lightning Resistance 35, Mage Armor (Ex), Regeneration, Shield (Ex), Spell Resistance 100
Saves Fort +29 Ref +30 Will +29
Abilities Str 52, Dex 40, Con 40, Int 30, Wis 40, Cha 30
Skills
Feats Empower Spell, Epic Skill Focus (Spellcraft) Epic Spellcasting, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Quicken Spell, Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Spell Focus (Illusion), Spell Focus (Necromancy)
Environment Currently trapped in the Far Realm
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating ?
Treasure None. Rassilon does not need a spell book and can prepare any spell ever created.
Alignment Chaotic Evil
Advancement N/A
Level Adjustment ?
The Time Lords themselves invented the legend about the Last War in Heaven, in which the Time Lords had to intervene to prevent a powerful foe from conquering the Multiverse. In fact, that part wasn't a lie. The lie was that the enemy were not the ones that targeted the Time Vortex; it was their own legendary leader Rassilon, whom they had revived to fight in the war. He intended to enact the Final Sanction, destroying time itself but allowing the Time Lords to ascend to a beings of pure consciousness, free from cause and effect. To stop him the Time Lord known as The Doctor acquired The Moment, an artifact of his own design with which he erased both the Time Lords and their enemy from time itself. Rassilon, however, escaped beyond time to the Far Realm, where he was driven mad but at the same time gained immense power. If he managed to return to this reality, he would attempt to complete his plan, for in fact the Time Vortex was not destroyed along with its creators...
Combat:
Rassilon always begins combat by switching to his Pseudonatural Form. He uses his spells for battlefield control and defensive buffs and his tentacles to destroy his enemies as fast as possible. He is very fond of Time Stop and Greater Celerity (PHB II).
Alternate Form (Su): At will, Rassilon can take the form of a grotesque, tentacled mass (or another appropriately gruesome form), but all his abilities remain unchanged despite the alien appearance. Changing shape is a standard action. Other creatures receive a -1 morale penalty on their attack rolls against Rassilon in this alternate form.
Constant Insight (Su): Rassilon makes all his attacks with a +15 insight bonus. Rassilon is not affected by the miss chance that applies to attacks against a concealed target.
Haste (Ex): Time Lords are constantly under an effect similar to the Haste Spell. This ability works exactly like the spell, save that it is an extraordinary ability. These benefits are included in the statistics above.
Improved Grab (Ex): If Rassilon hits an opponent smaller than himself with a tentacle, he deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
Lore (Ex): This ability functions as the Bardic Knowledge ability of a 20th level Bard.
Mage Armor (Ex): Time Lords are protected by invisible armor similar to the Mage Armor spell, save that it is an extraordinary ability. These benefits are included in the statistics above.
Regeneration (Ex): A Time Lord is not easily killed. If you manage to slay their physical body, a new one appears within a day (4d6 hours) at any location they choose on the same plane. Their new body is not necessarily anything like their old one, and can easily be of a different ethnic appearance or even gender, though they seem to have some level of control over their new appearance. There is a limit however: they can only regenerate in this manner 12 times before they die for good. It is not clear if there is any way to revive them after this, but spells that require a body do not work.
Rotting Constriction (Ex): Once Rassilon has hold of an opponent, each successful grapple check it makes during subsequent rounds permanently drains 2d4 points of Constitution. At the same time, Rassilon regains 10 lost hit points.
Shield (Ex): Time Lords are protected by an invisible shield similar to the Shield spell, save that it is an extraordinary ability. These benefits are included in the statistics above.
Spell-Like Abilities: At Will- Blur, Dimension Door, Greater Teleport, Haste, Plane Shift, Shield, Slow, Unhallow Vision 3/day- Temporal Stasis, Time Stop 1/Day- Wish CL 20th, DC is 20 + Spell Level
Spells: Rassilon casts spells as a 25th level Wizard and a 25th level Archivist (Heroes of Horror; if you don't have that supplement simply treat it as a Wizard with the Cleric spell list. Time Lords do not worship deities, but manipulate Divine Magic just as if it were Arcane Magic).

industrious
2010-01-17, 04:05 PM
Way too OP, in my opinion. Actual Time Lords are far weaker than this. Remove the SLA's, the armor and shield effect, bring the HD to 1, and lower the LA, at the very least.

Drolyt
2010-01-17, 04:10 PM
Way too OP, in my opinion. Actual Time Lords are far weaker than this. Remove the SLA's, the armor and shield effect, bring the HD to 1, and lower the LA, at the very least.

While yes, but actual Time Lords aren't built for a D&D universe. It would be hard to fit a race that was only (at best) slightly more powerful than Humans but filled with super tech/magic into most D&D campaigns. I want to capture the essence of the Time Lords (the new series anyways): an ancient and extraordinarily powerful civilization that no longer exists because of a multidimensional war, and fit it into D&D. Edit: You could go the other route; make them about the same strength as Humans, but give them powerful magical artifacts or something. That would probably work better if I wasn't planning on having at most 40 Time Lords extant in the entire multiverse.

Fortuna
2010-01-17, 06:09 PM
One option is to give them all class levels. They're ancient, so they've learned a lot. That lessens the burden on a PC Time Lord, and makes them possible pre-epic.

Drolyt
2010-01-17, 06:16 PM
One option is to give them all class levels. They're ancient, so they've learned a lot. That lessens the burden on a PC Time Lord, and makes them possible pre-epic.

You're probably right, but that requires more work. Thing is, I really hate work. Oh well. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

NXTangl
2010-06-13, 10:19 AM
Actually, a Time Lord has to regenerate BEFORE they die, or they will die forever; let's say that they can initiate a regeneration as a free action if they are below -5 hp?

Also, if the character is played in a sci-fi campaign, I think that postmortem brain scans would be one way to bring them back.

Finally, Time Lords have a high natural Cha score (as far as we can see from the Doctor).

Ashtagon
2010-06-13, 10:25 AM
Aside from the general "bring them down to 1 HD and give them class levels up the wazoo" vibe others have mentioned, I have to wonder why you give them casting ability. That does not match the source material at all. The nearest thing he has to magic is his psychic paper and his sonic screwdriver. Oh, and the tardis.

Eldan
2010-06-13, 10:46 AM
Also, from watching the new series, I'd say that they have a host of strange racial abilities. Possibly also the psionic subtype. And a few strange senses. As an example, the doctor seems to be able to smell alien technology. He also seems able to pinpoint where he is in time and space.

And he has psychic headbutts.

Ashtagon
2010-06-13, 11:06 AM
Also, from watching the new series, I'd say that they have a host of strange racial abilities. Possibly also the psionic subtype. And a few strange senses. As an example, the doctor seems to be able to smell alien technology. He also seems able to pinpoint where he is in time and space.

And he has psychic headbutts.

We know one specific timelord has these abilities. If Elminster was the only human you ever met, you could be forgiven for thinking humans cast fireballs at will. So it is with timelords. The Doctor just happens to be extremely high level.

Starbuck_II
2010-06-13, 02:32 PM
What? No, Time Lords are Factotums.

While they can do magic (it isn't the same amount as a wizard).

kroliktwarz
2016-11-04, 11:29 PM
While yes, but actual Time Lords aren't built for a D&D universe. It would be hard to fit a race that was only (at best) slightly more powerful than Humans but filled with super tech/magic into most D&D campaigns. I want to capture the essence of the Time Lords (the new series anyways): an ancient and extraordinarily powerful civilization that no longer exists because of a multidimensional war, and fit it into D&D. Edit: You could go the other route; make them about the same strength as Humans, but give them powerful magical artifacts or something. That would probably work better if I wasn't planning on having at most 40 Time Lords extant in the entire multiverse.

Okay my campain has an op time lord and a bard who has a time sphere has a spell. both are extrememly op.... Meanwhile rouge tiefling over here is only excelling at ... get this.... Investigation strength and intelligence a little stealth..... The time lord can literally kill 72 dwarves in one turn no problem... and hes only level 7.... useing i think he said a level 3 spell? I dont know. But in the version 5e characters like bard and timelord are op and timelord is advised not to be used but for people who know how dnd works and had a really high powered character that died of stupid reasoning can be an op timelord and start at level 5

dboxcar
2016-11-14, 05:04 PM
Okay my campain has an op time lord and a bard who has a time sphere has a spell. both are extrememly op.... Meanwhile rouge tiefling over here is only excelling at ... get this.... Investigation strength and intelligence a little stealth..... The time lord can literally kill 72 dwarves in one turn no problem... and hes only level 7.... useing i think he said a level 3 spell? I dont know. But in the version 5e characters like bard and timelord are op and timelord is advised not to be used but for people who know how dnd works and had a really high powered character that died of stupid reasoning can be an op timelord and start at level 5

...what???