PDA

View Full Version : Creating Settings and Adventures for Publishing

Domigorgon
2010-01-17, 04:09 PM
My situation is this: as I create settings and adventures for my own campaign, I'd like to publish them online as well. Somebody might be interested in them and use them or find inspiration in them.

Say I make a fully designed and illustrated PDF for a Setting or Adventure. Is there a web-site where I could upload it for all to see? Or must I hope to attract people by self-advertising and uploading it to my own site?

I don't know, there might already be a community for this type of thing, and I just don't know it yet. I'm guessing somebody on this board must.

I would also be willing to team up with somebody agreeable. I'm already doing some work at the Planescape 3.5 conversion project (illustrating), but it's progressing slowly, and meanwhile I'd like to do something else as well.

Any suggestions? Advice?

Matthew
2010-01-17, 05:17 PM
Lulu would be the obvious place to upload, but I am not sure what loops you have to jump through to do that. There are also collections of free adventure content at places like RPGhost.

bosssmiley
2010-01-18, 06:35 AM
A simple download link to somewhere like Mediafire, uploading.com, or orbitfiles might also work.
And if you want to advertise and/or editorialise your work a blog is easy to set up.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-18, 07:02 AM
I would also be willing to team up with somebody agreeable. I'm already doing some work at the Planescape 3.5 conversion project (illustrating), but it's progressing slowly, and meanwhile I'd like to do something else as well.

What sort of work would one have to do? I not saying I'll help you (unless cash is involved in that case yeah), but I might be able to contribute with a few cities, monsters, characters, gods or whatever you need.

potatocubed
2010-01-18, 07:47 AM
Drivethrurpg.com for pdf sales.

jmbrown
2010-01-18, 10:15 AM
Assuming you're putting it up for free, googledocs will host up to 10mb pdfs. Rapidshare and mediafire are decent hosts that let you upload material for free.

As far as publishing, the mere act of posting it online copyrights the material under your name. If you actually want to print and sell it you'll need a method of distribution. Some people will print, store, and distribute from their own homes. If you want to stock it in game stores, you'll have to go through a distributor like Diamond (they deal in games and comic books). Lulu is a print-on-demand service; the take a large cut but its cheaper than handling everything yourself especially for a small entity.