PDA

View Full Version : A few questiones I have to ask you people

Gamerlord
2010-01-17, 05:00 PM
So, I was working on a game system, and I wanted to ask you a few questions:

1. What dice do you like in a system? Pick as many was you want.
A.D4
B.D6
C.D8
D.D10
E.D12
F.D20
G.D%

2.What is your favored setting?
A.Fantasy
B.Sci-fi
C.Post-apocalyptic
D.Modern day
E. Past time period (Which?)
F.Horror (What time period)
G. Ancient times (Dinosaurs,cavemen, etc.)

3. How many races do you like?
A. One
B.Three
C.Five
D.Seven
E.Ten
F.12+
G. Other number,please state

4. How do you like magic to function in a system?
A. Magic? What magic?
B.Very rare, with extreme side-effects
C.Uncommon, with moderate side-effects
D.Common, with little to no side effects
E. Very common, with no side effects
F. Other, please state.

5. What form of magic do you like?
A.Vancian spellcasting
B. Mana-based spellcasting
C. Other, please state

6.Do you like having a few classes, that all have subtypes (i.e ranger and barbarian being subtypes of fighter)
A.Yes
B.No

7.How many classes do you like?
A.1
B.3
C.4
D.5
E.6
F.7+

Fiery Diamond
2010-01-17, 05:06 PM
1. All of them - except perhaps d12.
2. Fantasy
3. Three to Five. Currently, I'm running a D&D campaign where almost everyone is Human, Elven, or Half-Elven in the setting.
4. D or E
5. I use Vancian spell-casting most(since I play D&D) but I prefer Mana-based casting.
6. No
7. 7+

The Dark Fiddler
2010-01-17, 05:11 PM
A.D4
B.D6
C.D8
D.D10
E.D12
F.D20
G.D100 (Only if d% counts)

A.Fantasy

G. Other number,please state (As many as possible without them becoming superfluous).

A.Vatican spellcasting

6.Do you like having a few classes, that all have subtypes (i.e ranger and barbarian being subtypes of fighter)
B.No

G. Other (As many as possible without being superfluous). (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TakeAThirdOption)

Also, Spanish for questions is preguntas, not questiones. :smalltongue:

Longcat
2010-01-17, 05:14 PM
1. All except the d100. I roll crappy on loot tables.
2. a), b) and c). I primarily play D&D and Shadowrun, but Fallout with the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system was fun too.
3. F+; it really depends on the setting.
4. E; Everything "low-magic" I've played thus far have been thinly-veiled attempts at nerfing spellcasters, without really adding to the quality of the game. Nowadays, I tend to avoid low-magic altogether.
5. What's Vatican spellcasting? Does the pope get spells now? If so, sign me up! :smallbiggrin:
On a more serious note, I tend to prefer mana-based systems, but I've no problems with Vancian.
6. No; See the issues between Monk and Unarmed Swordsage.
7. Really depends; If classes are narrowly defined roles, then as many as possible. However, I tend to prefer point-based classless systems.

Dogmantra
2010-01-17, 05:19 PM
1. d4, d8, d12
2. A or C
3. Five-ish
4. D
5. B
6. Yes, but not so that they're premade. I'd like to have a "fighter class" that can be a quick skirmisher, an archer, a heavily armoured brute or a barbarian depending on how you make it.
7. See above: I'd rather have fewer, broader classes, so that one class equals about seven or eight classes in D&D.

DabblerWizard
2010-01-17, 06:47 PM

All of the above

Fantasy, Sci-Fi, post-apoc, modern day, past time (roman, victorian, etc). It really depends on my mood, and what computer game I've recently been playing.

Regular recurring frequently found races: between 5 and 7.
Otherwise, overall, it doesn't matter.

Very common, but with side effects and restrictions in a pyramid scheme. The more powerful, the fewer practitioners there are at that skill level, and the more restrictions upon them.

All of the above.

Either or as long as I can play the kind of character I enjoy

7+, or as many as needed.

Gnorman
2010-01-17, 06:49 PM
VATICAN MAGIC!

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/6767/156075-71379-battle-pope_super.jpg

I am aware those are guns but pretend they are magic wands.

Thant
2010-01-17, 07:09 PM
1. D6, D12, D20, D100

2. Post apoc, noir, heavy/dark sf, dark fantasy, fantasy sf, steampunk, cyberpunk and most of all a combination of all these with a drop or two of comedy/parody

3. no more than 10

4. depends on the setting...but most of the time I like it if it's not that wide spread in the game world (even rare) so it would actually remain "magical". I guess this goes for psionics too.

5. the actually magical one...not that I resent d&d magic or something :)

6. I prefer classless game systems

7. ^...but if I use a system such as d20 I don't care to much if there would be a hundred or more classes as long as every single one of the would fit well in the background story.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 07:37 PM
D.D10

Curse you D4s, for you are like caltrops upon my feet.
Curse you D20s, for your endless hatred of my characters.
Curse you D6s, for your need to be purchased in bulk quantities.
Curse you D12s, for your utter uselessness.
Blessed be the D10s, for they also make up the D100, and lo, they form the basis for 7th Sea. Long may they rule the earth.

A.Fantasy

Because everything fits into fantasy. Yeah, all those others are great at times, but yknow, you can fit any of them under this banner. I've sunk pirate sailing ships with laser cannons. I really don't know if that's sci fi or past-history, but it damn well fits fantasy.

A. One
F.12+

If you're gonna have multiple races, give us some diversity.

A.Vatican spellcasting
C. Other, please state

I like them all, and I like them all jumbled together. Multiple different, yet complete systems of magic are awesome.

B.No

Either make it classless or give us giant piles of classes. Types and subtypes get too bloody complicated and limiting.

F.7+

0 or a giant mess of em. I like me some hardcore choice.

Iceforge
2010-01-17, 07:45 PM

Sure, glad to help you by answering your questions, but I will provide some additional feedback, because I personally, judging from your questions, think you need a lot of help in creating a game system yourself.

All the dices, but preferably in an interesting way.

A.Fantasy
B.Sci-fi
C.Post-apocalyptic
D.Modern day

A, fantasy, by far my prefered setting, but F. Horror can be quote fun too, in the recent past (as in before cellphones where people could actually be totally cut off from the rest of the world easily)

A. One
B.Three
C.Five
D.Seven
E.Ten
F.12+

As many as makes sense. Do you mean playable races, or just races in general? The question is not specific enough to permit an actual answer right now

A. Magic? What magic?
F. Other, please state.

This should really have been 2 questions, as you are automatically assuming there has to be a corralation between how widespread magic is and the side-effects of magic.

Why can't one pick Very Common, with extreme side effects, OR very rare with no side effects?

Yes, I know that falls under F, sort of, but still, would have been a lot easier if you just split it into 2 questions "How Common should magic be?" and "should magic have consequences?"

A.Vatican spellcasting
C. Other, please state

And please don't use terminologi that is not readily aviable for all people: What the *bleeping* hell is Vatican spellcasting? Searching google leads straight back into this thread (yeah, this thread is the actual first hit on google when searching for "vatican spellcasting")
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by that, and thus I do not know the difference between the options you are presenting.

A.Yes
B.No

Yes and No. Why do we need classes?

A.1
B.3
C.4
D.5
E.6
F.7+
How about option "A-1" = Zero?

Now, your quesitons leads me to belive you are attempting market research, which is quite a good thing to do, if you are trying to create an actual product for selling or just free distrubution; Knowing what your potential consumers want is key to success in a hobby related business.

But you seem to think those questions summarize important aspects of designing a game, which truly is a big warning sign for someone like me, who is now thinking "this cannot lead to anything good"

Now, don't be disheartened by the cruelty of those words, I mean well, but I am not the type that conceals my thought in the name of being polite, I prefer to be brutally honest, as some of the constructive things will get lost, if I try and sugar coat everything and say "you are basicly on the right track, but need small adjustments"

The only questions you asked which I think had some merit to them was about genre and magic.

The different types of dice, the races and classes, all of that is totally unneeded right now, as you are clearly in the idea state of creating your concept for a future game system. If you was beyond the idea state, you would not need to ask what genre people prefered; As you haven't even decided if you want to make a fantasy or sci-fi system, I am quite sure you shouldn't be thinking about classes or races just yet, as the concept is pretty barren right now.

Let say you end up within the Fantasy Genre, which is among roleplayers a high-interest genre, with many fans who already are interested in the hobby you are creating a product for (whatever for profit or free distribution). In addition, you find out how most people want the magic system.

That could be some core help for creating a concept; Maybe the choises are a mana-based magic system where magic is very rare and has serious side-effects related to it within a fantasy genre.

But that doesn't tell what the game is. You need a much stronger concept than just that. What is it you want to archive with your game? What do you want potential players of the game you are creating to experience, as they sit down with your game and play?

I think it will go a lot easier once you got your basic concept developed, as then you can start developing the mechanics to support your idea, instead of starting with the mechanics and hope a concept develops from those mechanics.

Throw out any preconceptions you have of what is required for a game and what you must have in the game system and find a concept first. Maybe your concept won't need classes, races or maybe it won't even need dice.

There is actually a horror game out now, which does not use classes, races or dice, but is pretty amazing; The systems name itself escapes me (which is a shame, as I would love to give credit where credit is due), but basicly your character sheet consists of you listing some of your strong sides by answering some questions made by the GM prior to the session (making character gen take about 10 minuts tops), then you build a Jenga Tower (I think thats the English name of it) in the middle of the table and start playing. Whenever your character attempts something dangerous or important, the GM can rule that you need to pull 1-3 blocks from the Jenga tower to succeed (or you can choose not to pull any blocks, if you think the action is not important enough for it)
If the Jenga Tower falls down, your character DIES. Plain and simple.

It makes for a great game, easily accessable to people new to the genre, as the rules are extremely simply, it takes a whole new spin on the entire roleplaying hobby by ignoring some of those mechanics that people think they need in a roleplaying game and it archive it's goal neatly, as players will be shaking and sweating anxiously as they are pulling out those 3 blocks from the jiggling Jenga Tower to try and balance that rope between two buildings in order to escape from that mad man with the chainsaw.

EDIT: And sorry for all the spelling and grammar errors, English is not my primary langauge and I am pretty tired right now

Siosilvar
2010-01-17, 07:47 PM
It's vancian, not vatican. From the writings of Jack Vance. Thank you.

1. Dice are good. I have yet to see a system that actually uses d12s for much, however.

2. Depends on my mood. Never horror, however, and "real world" past/present/post-apoc isn't high on my list.

3. Six is a good number.

4 & 5. Depends on my mood. Generally, however, either C/A or D/B.

6. Yes, ish. Ranger (with favored enemy/terrain variants available) is a good example, if there were more combat styles.

7. Depends on how many are needed to get everything across.

Gamerlord
2010-01-17, 07:51 PM
I was asking these questions because when I finish it, I plan on publishing it for free on the internet, and just wanted to see what people most enjoy in a game, so I can make sure it is fun.

Mastikator
2010-01-17, 07:53 PM
1. All of them

2. Fantasy, dystopia, horror, gritty, perhaps also bronze age

3. One, or 12+

4. Yes on magic, yes on rare. I like the Exalted one, it's psudo-free form. But too powerful. I like open ended and versatile but impotent magic.

5. Mana based, since it's more versatile.

6. Yes, but I honestly prefer them to be actual subtypes.

7. Small number of base classes, large number (possibly free from) number of sub classes. Something like knowledge, martial, social and skill base, and then more extensions to those. Or maybe templates added. Like "magical" and "savage".

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 07:54 PM
If you're making a system, the key is to come up with a good reason why you're making the system, and see if that niche is already filled. Another silly, sci-fi game is unlikely to unseat paranoia, for example. A setting is a perfectly valid concept to wrap an RPG around, too.

If it's a good idea, you should be able to give a summary of it in less than a paragraph. For example "WW2 alternate history, where hitler discovers magic".

Tinydwarfman
2010-01-17, 08:01 PM
1. d6. Other dice are just so annoying to find, and I like bell curve.

2. All (This includes many you didn't say, like cyberpunk & stuff. We normally play fantasy, but why limit yourself? I really like modern day occult.)

3. Tricky. Depends on other stuff, but probably around 10. Just becomes too much after that.

4. Normally uncommon, w/ moderate side effects. But this totally depends on the setting.

5. ANYTHING BUT VANCIAN. Not that I hate the gameplay w/ it, but the flavor is totally F'd up. I like fatiguing magic (like mana except you exhaust yourself physically instead of just spending from a pool that doesn't limit you at all.)

6 & 7. I either like LOTS of classes (non-core DnD w/ homebrew) or classless point buy. I like point buy for more balance, but factotems and hellfire warlocks are just cool.

lsfreak
2010-01-17, 08:01 PM
Any. But basing everything off D6's is certainly simpler.

Low-magic dark fantasy (horror fantasy).

Human only, with as many cultures as reasonable for the setting fluff without being confusing or irrelevant.

. How do you like magic to function in a system
Uncommon, gained through many sources, each with different costs. Bargains with magic creatures, mental or physical strain, maybe just complexity and time requirements.

Whatever fits the fluff of the casters that do exist. The D&D types I like best are binder and psionics. My favorite, though, would be a combination of Vancian (no new spells, based off learning known formulae), videogamey improvements (as you focus your study on certain spells, you become a master at using those specific spells), and complex components (gestures, Hermetic magic, special items, and so on).

Few classes, lots of options. Possibly a skill-based systems where there simply aren't classes.

OldTrees
2010-01-17, 08:07 PM
1. All listed Dice

2.Fantasy (but versatile enough that I could adjust it to other settings with a few houserules and refluffing)

3. About 5-9 really detailed races with great fluff and options for monsters used as PC races.

4. I like magic to have both
Uncommon & Stronger, with moderate side-effects
and Common & Weaker, with little to no side effects

5. I like a variety of subsystems. A mana-based system sounds like the best default system.

6. Yes, however I like to have characters that pick the same variant be able to differ greatly mechanically (one Orc Barbarian variant Fighter as a barbarian chieftain and another as a feral beast raised warrior)

7. As many as needed to fulfill question #6. I would guess 4ish.

Myou
2010-01-17, 08:07 PM
1. B; D6 dice are the most common, have a nice feel and shape, are easy to add up, are very versatile ( prefer rolling 3d6 to rolling 1d20) and are generaly iconic.

2. A or E; Both are similar, but I like my fantasy settings fairly medievil and my history around the renaissance. Mechanically speaking though, any option is fine.

3. F; The more races the better, it gives more options for rp, character creation and plots, and it's also nice to not feel like humans, dwarves and elves are all that there is.

4. D; Common enough that the PCs can have it, but rare enough that it makes you special. Side-effects are a bad idea, it makes the magic users less fun to play. Better to balance magic out by making melee good too, or just giving spells less power.

5. B; Vancian is unimpressive in concept and excecution, where as mana is the standard for a reason.

6. I'd really need more information, but if there were, say, three archetypes - warrior, mage and rogue, that were divided into subclasses like wizard, cleric, druid, etc, then that would be fine, but I don't see how it's different to many unrelated classes.

7. F; The more options the better.

Swordgleam
2010-01-17, 08:08 PM
B.D6
C.D8
D.D10
F.D20

A.Fantasy
B.Sci-fi
C.Post-apocalyptic
D.Modern day

It really depends on a lot of factors. Plenty of games don't need more than one, plenty of other games have no reason to have fewer than dozens. It depends why each race is in the setting, if they're all colorful, what the mechanics are like, etc.

Again, it depends. I like games with ubiquitous magic and I like games where magic is rare. The important thing is that plenty of games/settings exist at each point on the spectrum. Magic should fit with the feel of the setting.

Anything but Vancian, which never made sense to me. Having mana or some other power limit makes sense, having spells be difficult to learn but being able to cast them all the time makes sense, having no limit to what you can cast if you can take the time, afford the supplies and pronounce the words right makes sense. It really just depends on the feel of the game. If it's a resource-management kind of game, mana. If not, why have mana?

B.No

Same as races. If there's only a few, make them stand out and make them important. If you can't make every class overwhelmingly unique, then there's no reason not to have tons of them.

Edit: Just ran across this, and it made me think of this thread: http://www.thefreerpgblog.com/2009/12/how-to-turn-your-stock-fantasy-rpg-into.html It's a list of advice on making free RPGs

jseah
2010-01-17, 08:20 PM
G. d%
- Easy probability assessment

A. Fantasy
- So much so that I play exclusively Fantasy. Then again, see below

B or C. Three or Five
- A few significant ones for political tension can be nice. More than that gets difficult to keep track of properly.

F. Magic is a science
- Have yet to see magic done consistently. Explain magic by laying out it's physical rules and creating all the phenomena from that.
- I HATE fairytale magic. Magic that works because of plot should go die in a blast furnace. With "magic that works because it's cool" following it close behind.

C. Whatever the magic rules say should work
- I don't really care what is used. Vancian or mana or exotic ones are all cool. As long as they make sense.

A. Yes
A. 1
- I prefer classless systems. 1 class is essentially that.

Ironically, I play D&D. Which I have a tendency to try and push into magic as tech.

OldTrees
2010-01-17, 08:25 PM
F. Magic is a science
- Have yet to see magic done consistently. Explain magic by laying out it's physical rules and creating all the phenomena from that.

I agree Completely. Magic for Wizards is a science.
Magic for Sorcerers should be able to be explained by the Wizardly even if the Sorcerer does not understand it.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 08:46 PM
Magic for wizards cannot possibly be anything other than a science. To imagine that wizened old men spent their entire lives figuring out how to break the laws of physics, and then didn't even bother to consider what they could do with this power...well, that strains credibility.

Zaydos
2010-01-17, 08:47 PM
I like all of them; every die is nice and it would be fun to have something to use all my d12s on.

A. Fantasy. Definitely the top dog in my opinion. Never particularly liked modern, sci-fi is fun. Haven't really played the others (but prehistoric, medieval Europe [especially viking age], Rome, or Tokugawan Japan all interest me).

This is a hard one. I prefer multiple races, but will admit that for example D&D eventually just started putting forth superfluous races. As long as they feel like an organic part of the world they're good, once they stop they get bad.

F. I like the idea of magic being fairly common, but it ought to be difficult enough and dangerous enough to make it not something everybody would use. More like in the Dying Earth than in D&D.

A. Vancian Casting. Again more like in the Dying Earth (where you really had X Spell Levels) than in D&D. I'd actually go for one where you prepared spells ahead of time (like a wizard) from a pool of MP. So you'd have 7 MP, and put 3 into Invisibility and 2 into 2 uses of Magic Missile, and 2 more into 2 uses of Hold Portal. For example.
I also like MP and variant systems, but Vancian is my favorite. Probably because it is the first 1 I ever encountered when I was a little kid.

6. & 7.
I liked 2e's subclass system, but I also like GURPS' classless system and 3.5's plethora of classes. Either a ton of classes, a few very customizable classes, or a classless system.

Edit:

Magic for wizards cannot possibly be anything other than a science. To imagine that wizened old men spent their entire lives figuring out how to break the laws of physics, and then didn't even bother to consider what they could do with this power...well, that strains credibility.

Seconded.
I like that it was in Vance's Dying Earth based on physics and mathematics bt the math and physics behind it had been lost and the post-apocalyptic world had lost the science behind it making it dangerous.

Iceforge
2010-01-17, 09:54 PM
I was asking these questions because when I finish it, I plan on publishing it for free on the internet, and just wanted to see what people most enjoy in a game, so I can make sure it is fun.

Cool, great to see people with enthusiasm, hope I get to see a product then :)

Good luck with it, feel free to PM if you ever want any kind of help (althrough my style of feedback, as seen above, might not be what you desire :))

sofawall
2010-01-17, 09:59 PM

A.D4
B.D6
C.D8
D.D10
E.D12
F.D20
G.D%

All of the above.

A.Fantasy
B.Sci-fi
C.Post-apocalyptic
D.Modern day

B.

A. One
B.Three
C.Five
D.Seven
E.Ten
F.12+

F.

A. Magic? What magic?
F. Other, please state.

F. Small magic is common, with no side effects. Big magic is uncommon, with large side effects. Not uncommon because it hard to cast, but because of the side effects.

A.Vancian spellcasting
C. Other, please state

B.

A.Yes
B.No

A.

A.1
B.3
C.4
D.5
E.6
F.7+
F.

valadil
2010-01-18, 12:57 AM
Doesn't matter. All I care is that the person designing the randomization in the system have half a clue about probability.

A.Fantasy
But I'm open to other settings.

In fantasy, 5-7. More than that gets overwhelming. In other settings humans are plenty.

Depends on the setting. Setting > system IMO. Are you also designing a setting to go along with your game.

Vancian works in D&D but I don't need to see it anywhere else. Mana based is reasonable, but not original. Mana will make your magic more predictable and arcane. If you're going for a setting where magic is more mysterious and dangerous, having no limit on magic but a risk with every spell cast limits casting very nicely.

Subclasses are good. I don't like being flooded with options. I'd like to decide to play a melee character and then look at the melee options.

However many are needed. Caster, sneak, and fighter seem to be the basic kinds. Casting usually gets split into offensive and defensive specialties. Fighters split into ranged or melee. Whether those specialties constitute new classes or just different builds are up to you.

I also think classes are something that work better in a game focused RPG. Classless (all skill points) is better for an accurate world model. How accurately do you want your game to model people?
[/QUOTE]

FMArthur
2010-01-18, 02:45 AM
A.D4
B.D6
C.D8
D.D10
E.D12
F.D20
G.D%

I prefer the d20 but I feel the other dice are a nice convenience; systems that don't use them still seem to need the things they do but come up with work-arounds instead of just using other dice.

A.Fantasy
B.Sci-fi

If you've played Phantasy Star IV on the Sega Genesis, that is the perfect balance between medieval fantasy and science fiction to me (lower-tech than Star Wars with more magic).

A. One

http://www.electricscotland.com/thomson/images/20.19%20AdolfHitler.jpg

I'd like a bunch of different humanoid races but not for them to have different stats as adventurers. I don't like the idea of racial imbalance. I understand that it's more 'realistic', but a smart orc is always less than a smart human... and that bothers me when you're making epic heroes anyway. Maybe my fantasy is a fair world.

Simple village folk know of magic, they know what it is, and even see it somewhat regularly, but it's still fairly uncommon. Monsters regularly employ magic. :smallamused:

A.Vancian spellcasting
C. Various others

Yeah, that sounds good. Actually, that sounds like more Phantasy Star (each character had TP-based magic and vancian-based skills, separately). But ideally the endless variety found in D&D3.5's magic system would be best.

B.No

Nah, I'd rather just have a lot of different classes, as long as players can multiclass.

F.7+

A LOT of classes.

Satyr
2010-01-18, 03:22 AM
What dice do you like in a system? Pick as many was you want.
It doesn't matter what dice are used, but what dice systems. Either way, I prefer games which only ever use one die, not more. It doesn't matter which one this is, but one die type is usually sufficient. I would actually like to see a game that is exclusively build on using D12 or D4.

What is your favored setting?
If you want to create a new game system, realistic settings are an obligatory benchmark. If a game system sucks at representing a historical medieval setting, it will do this even more in a medieval-touched fantasy game, for example.

How many races do you like?
Races? None at all. We can talk about sentient species and cultures, though.

How do you like magic to function in a system?
Optional. If the game doesn't work or is fn without any magic at all, there is something wrong with its basic premisses. If it doesn't work when magic is introduced, the magic system is flawed. A good game covers both ends of the spectrum and allows for a personal fine adjustment by the specific group or gamemaster. Anyway, a lack of consequences is the same thing as "very, very dull".

What form of magic do you like?
One that fits very well to the fluff of the system at hand. I usually prefer magic systems hich fluff-wise resemble one of the real world occult traditions, and require elaborate rituals.

Do you like having a few classes, that all have subtypes (i.e ranger and barbarian being subtypes of fighter) [...]
How many classes do you like?

Classes ane levels are like horse carts: They were once the standard, but apart from romanticised nostalgia, they are obsolete today. These forms an anachronism in a modern game, and have a strong "retro heartbreaker" feeling attached to them. Anyway, class systems are almost intrisincally inferior to skill-based systems, mostly because of the stronger limitations and more stereotypical characters they produce.
If a class system is for any reason whatsoever mandatory, very, very broad classes with loads of options are usually the best option, because they are the least obtrusive and restrictive ones.

Thiramon
2010-01-18, 04:23 AM
Q1. What dice do you like in a system? Pick as many was you want.
A1: All of them. For a simple game system, I'd like to see d10 (less luck/hazard range, more predictable).

Q2. What is your favored setting?
A2: A and B.

Q3. How many species/cultures/creatures do you like?
A3: F - as much variety as possible.

Q4. How do you like magic to function in a system?
A4: D. But it's usually a question of the setting. In general, low magic should be common, with no side-effects, whereas moderate or high magic should be uncommon with little to lots of side-effects. Both villains and high-level heroes will appreciate that. :smallsmile:

Q5. What form of magic do you like?
A5: All of them, but mana-/point-based systems are easier to balance IMHO.

Q6. Do you like having a few classes, that all have subtypes (i.e ranger and barbarian being subtypes of fighter)?
A6: B.

Q7.How many classes do you like?
A7: F - see Q3. Multiclassing would be nice, but it shouldn't be stronger than a single base class progression - it should only add some more options.

Regards,

Thiramon

JaronK
2010-01-18, 04:40 AM
A.D4
B.D6
C.D8
D.D10
E.D12
F.D20
G.D%

Don't care much, but usually D10 is nice for the easy math and decent variance while D6 is nice simply because I have the dice already.

A.Fantasy
B.Sci-fi
C.Post-apocalyptic
D.Modern day

Cyberpunk or Fantasy, generally. Dieselpunk and Steampunk are fun too.

A. One
B.Three
C.Five
D.Seven
E.Ten
F.12+

1 (all the same) or a large number (10+). Not in between.

A. Magic? What magic?
F. Other, please state.

Rare and powerful (PCs don't have it, but can get castoffs in the form of items or boons) or common and balanced (what a mage and non mage can do different, but of equivalent utility).

A.Vancian spellcasting
C. Other, please state

I actually really like the Shadowrun system of casting... the higher the power of the spell, the more likely it hurts you (in a way not easily fixed), so you have to balance your needs against the cost.

A.Yes
B.No

That depends entirely on the flexibility of the system. A game like Shadowrun (three basic classes, with tons of flexibility between them) is fine, as is 3.5 D&D (many classes with overlapping abilities). I don't like firm boxes in character creation that make it impossible to make the type of character you want (so long as it fits in the setting of course).

A.1
B.3
C.4
D.5
E.6
F.7+

Irrelevant, flexibility is what's important. If all of one class is the same, there should be 10+ classes. If there are only three classes but near infinite variation in the classes, that's fine too.

JaronK

bosssmiley
2010-01-18, 06:17 AM
VATICAN MAGIC!

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/6767/156075-71379-battle-pope_super.jpg

I am aware those are guns but pretend they are magic wands.

That's either a witty play on the typo in the thread title, or sheer LOLRANDOM!
I prefer to give you the benefit of the doubt. So: well played sir. :smallcool:

-----

on-topic:

All + d30. The d30 is truth and love. Were it not agin all the laws of God nd man I would marry my d30.

Gonzo post-apoc science-fantasy. Think "John Carter of Mars meets up with Conan, He-Man, Thundarr & Ulysses 31 in the realm of Dungeons and Dragons to play a game of Encounter Critical..."

How many does the setting require? As many as that, and no more.

C.Uncommon, with moderate side-effects. Magic should have a price.

C. Other, please state
Modified Vancian. See the Chainmail-derived system (http://swordsofathanor.blogspot.com/2009/08/back-to-thinking-about-chainmail-style.html) used in Savage Swords of Athanor.

A.Yes

As many as the setting requires, and no more. Some games do with two (fighting man + magic man), others require a dozen or more...

Kiero
2010-01-18, 08:03 AM

A.D4
B.D6
C.D8
D.D10
E.D12
F.D20
G.D%

One and only one type, not percentile. Preferably not D10s either.

A.Fantasy
B.Sci-fi
C.Post-apocalyptic
D.Modern day

Fantasy is played out. Don't much like sci-fi, post apocalypse or horror.

Historical settings are few and far between, especially good ones that don't just slap on fantasy tropes.

A. One
B.Three
C.Five
D.Seven
E.Ten
F.12+

One, human.

A. Magic? What magic?
F. Other, please state.

Very rare, and could be rationalised away as something mundane.

A.Vancian spellcasting
C. Other, please state

Ritual-based. No magic items.

A.Yes
B.No

Yes, the more modular and simple, the better.

A.1
B.3
C.4
D.5
E.6
F.7+

The fewer the better, maximum of five. True 20's Adept/Expert/Warrior is a neat split.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-18, 08:08 AM
1) d6, d20
2) Fantasy/Sci-Fi. Obscenely soft sci-fi, or obscenely hard fantasy, depending on how you look at it.
3) One race or 6-ish
4) Very common, no side effects. Alternatively, quite rare.
5) Irrelevant.
6) See below
7) More than 7. Or none.

Morty
2010-01-18, 08:10 AM
A.D4
B.D6
C.D8
D.D10
E.D12
F.D20
G.D%

The dice's type is mostly irrelevant.

A.Fantasy
B.Sci-fi
C.Post-apocalyptic
D.Modern day

Fantasy, most of the time.

A. One
B.Three
C.Five
D.Seven
E.Ten
F.12+

As many races as it's needed. As long as there are no races which are just there with no purpose or thought behind them, it's fine.

A. Magic? What magic?
F. Other, please state.

Uncommon, with moderate side-effects.

A.Vancian spellcasting
C. Other, please state

Vancian casting is my favorite.

A.Yes
B.No

Yes.

A.1
B.3
C.4
D.5
E.6
F.7+

Same as races. As many of them as it's needed.

Gamerlord
2010-01-18, 08:12 AM
Are you also designing a setting to go along with your game.

Yes, I will design a setting to go along with it.

Totally Guy
2010-01-18, 08:26 AM

Whatever

A.Fantasy

B.Three. Fewer the better really. Really all other races are a distraction from humans, which is common ground to all of us. Too far away from that and I can't understand what my friends are trying to do.

C.Uncommon, with moderate side-effects Without a cost, magic is boring.

C. Other, please state Caster's endurance style I suppose.

A.Yes I guess, as long as it matters... Fighter and barbarian qualify as distinct.

Classes are simply an elaborate point-buy. That way they can sell you more classes to cover all ways you cannot currently buy your points.

Glass Mouse
2010-01-18, 09:03 AM

A.D4
B.D6
C.D8
D.D10
E.D12
F.D20
G.D%

I really like the D6. Oldschool dice (especially in a pool) ftw.
But really, if the system works, the dice aren't really relevant.

A.Fantasy
B.Sci-fi
C.Post-apocalyptic
D.Modern day

(Low) fantasy, sci-fi and modern day (or at least recent time) are the current favorites.

A. One
B.Three
C.Five
D.Seven
E.Ten
F.12+

Depends on the setting, obviously. Even then, I can't put down a number.
Only thing I can say for sure is I like it when "weirder" races are uncommon. Less is more.

A. Magic? What magic?
F. Other, please state.

Again, less is more, rare is cool, et cetera. I'd say something in the area of C (in a fantasy setting, obviously. Otherwise A or maaaybe B).

A.Vancian spellcasting
C. Other, please state

I guess it's kind of mana-based, but I really like Ars Magica's spell system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars_Magica#System). I prefer creativity to pre-defined spells.

A.Yes
B.No

I prefer customizable archetypes. Ideally, every ability is open to anyone, and you'll just have to shape your speciality from scratch. I know I'm probably alone on this one, though.

A.1
B.3
C.4
D.5
E.6
F.7+

Again, a few easily costumizable archetypes. Maybe five? Again, it depends on the kind of game, and what types are needed.

Kurald Galain
2010-01-18, 09:12 AM
1. d10, primarily. d20 and d6, secondarily. d12 and d8, sometimes. And d4 and d%, preferably not.

2. fantasy, with sci-fi as a second

3. three to eight.

4. uncommon, with moderate side effects

5. mana-based

6. I like having no classes. That said, if classes are a given, I'd prefer having fewer classes, with subtypes (aka "builds") as needed. Few wide classes are preferable to many narrow classes.

7. As few as feasiable

Drolyt
2010-01-18, 09:21 AM

A.D4
B.D6
C.D8
D.D10
E.D12
F.D20
G.D%

A.Fantasy
B.Sci-fi
C.Post-apocalyptic
D.Modern day

A. One
B.Three
C.Five
D.Seven
E.Ten
F.12+

A. Magic? What magic?
F. Other, please state.

A.Vancian spellcasting
C. Other, please state

A.Yes
B.No

A.1
B.3
C.4
D.5
E.6
F.7+

1. B
2. A
3. G It depends, just one is fine but if you do more make them both mechanically interesting and fluff interesting. Only use them if it makes sense in your system/setting
4 F Rare, but common among PCs and other powerful individuals, no side effects except for specifically dangerous magic (like summoning/communing with outsiders).
5. B. or C. No use limit
6. A
7. Hmm... anything but F, depending on how you do it. F would be okay under certain circumstances. Generally I prefer lower numbers though.

Amphetryon
2010-01-18, 09:25 AM
1. All but A.

2. A and sometimes E, with overlap.

3. E is sufficient but I hate limiting things arbitrarily.

4. C bleeding into D.

5. B. Amnesia as a class feature seems odd for a Wizard.

6. This is not a yes/no question, IMHO. I'll pick No but wonder what that choice indicates to you.

7. F.