PDA

View Full Version : What's with my cravings?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-17, 07:30 PM
For weeks now I've been craving almost non-stop steak as well as cheeses (blue cheese in particular for some reason).

It's not one of those 'mm, those sound good' but more like 'man I HAVE to get some steak or hamburger'.

Thought maybe just needed protein but fish nor chicken satisfy it, only red meat. Usually don't eat much of it, but the couple times now I've given in it's like I can't get enough of it.

Anyone have an idea what beef and cheese have in common?

littlebottom
2010-01-17, 07:34 PM
ooh ooh ooh oh! i know! they both come from cows?!

but seriously, ive no idea..

Mystic Muse
2010-01-17, 07:34 PM
same with me oddly. huh.

(just cheeseburgers for me though)

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-17, 07:35 PM
ooh ooh ooh oh! i know! they both come from cows?!
The bovines must die...

Perenelle
2010-01-17, 07:38 PM
They come from Cows?

I dunno, maybe you havent had steak and cheese in a while? Maybe you want one of those Philadelphia cheese steak sandwich things?

At least its not something hard to find. then you could have problems. I suggest going to the grocery store and picking up massive amounts of cheese. :smallamused:

Phase
2010-01-17, 07:39 PM
There's only one explanation.

You must be pregnant.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-17, 07:40 PM
There's only one explanation.

You must be pregnant.
Does being infected with an alien parasite count?

At least its not something hard to find. then you could have problems. I suggest going to the grocery store and picking up massive amounts of cheese.
It's mainly for meat, cheese is like a side craving. Favorite is Stilton blue. That stuff is soooo good.. but is like $8 a wedge.

Solaris
2010-01-17, 07:40 PM
Protein. Vitamin D, at least the cheese.

Kneenibble
2010-01-17, 07:50 PM
I don't think they add vitamin D to milk meant for cheese-making, dude, just the cartoned drinkable kind.

I also highly doubt any person who regularly eats meat would ever crave it because they need more protein.

Jokes aside, the only connection I can think of is the large saturated fat content. Fat cravings are often a sign of liver stagnancy.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-17, 07:53 PM
Jokes aside, the only connection I can think of is the large saturated fat content. Fat cravings are often a sign of liver stagnancy.
Gah, no, not a fat craving. Chicken I got last night was like really fatty and it was grossing me out. I can barely stand anything fatty,

Anuan
2010-01-17, 07:54 PM
They're both delicious.
Gah I'm still craving a good fish and chips. Might go out for dinner toniiiight...

thubby
2010-01-17, 07:59 PM
they both contain phosphorus if wiki is to be believed.
it might be a few things, or maybe you're just weird

Solaris
2010-01-17, 07:59 PM
I don't think they add vitamin D to milk meant for cheese-making, dude, just the cartoned drinkable kind.

I also highly doubt any person who regularly eats meat would ever crave it because they need more protein.

Really? My bad. Thought it was inherent.

He did say he didn't often eat red meat. There being things in red meat that aren't in other foods rings a dim little bell, but it's not springing to mind right away.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-17, 08:03 PM
it might be a few things, or maybe you're just weird
Aww, that's the answer I get everytime I ask anything :smallfrown:

thubby
2010-01-17, 08:05 PM
Aww, that's the answer I get everytime I ask anything :smallfrown:

why is that :smallfrown:? never be normal! :smalltongue:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-17, 08:11 PM
never be normal! :smalltongue:
*sits on your head to see if it hatches*

Kurien
2010-01-17, 08:15 PM
The only solution is to buy a ludicrous amount of red meat and cheese and gorge yourself until you develop an aversion to it! It's put me off of pizza, it should work for you. :smalltongue:

chiasaur11
2010-01-17, 08:17 PM
Must be some variant of that Mad Person virus that's due to doom humanity soonish.

I already have twinkies, so I'm set.

PJ the Epic
2010-01-17, 08:20 PM
The only solution is to buy a ludicrous amount of red meat and cheese and gorge yourself until you develop an aversion to it! It's put me off of pizza, it should work for you.

Except with chocolate. I gorge myself with chocolate and I still love it.

Anyway, maybe your bodies trying to tell you that it's about to go vegan wether you like it or not.:smallwink:

Murska
2010-01-17, 08:23 PM
Maybe you're turning into a lolcat.

Nano
2010-01-17, 08:31 PM
You must be pregnant.
Does being infected with an alien parasite count?

That's what he said. :smallconfused:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-17, 08:57 PM
The only solution is to buy a ludicrous amount of red meat and cheese and gorge yourself until you develop an aversion to it! It's put me off of pizza, it should work for you. :smalltongue:

so, in other words, to get rid of my craving I have to buy twenty triple steakburgers with cheese?

there goes my Christmas money.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-17, 09:34 PM
What's strangest of all is you haven't ALREADY spent it :smallconfused:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-17, 09:43 PM
What's strangest of all is you haven't ALREADY spent it :smallconfused:

There's nothing I want that costs $96 or less

ghost_warlock
2010-01-17, 10:14 PM
VT: maybe you have an iron deficiency. Or, have gone mad. Either way.

Kyuubi: Maybe this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138483) will interest you.

CrimsonAngel
2010-01-17, 10:16 PM
You're pregnant!

Lycan 01
2010-01-17, 10:20 PM
I want to say Iron... Protein would be obvious, but I think you'd have that covered. Something tells me red meat has a lot of iron...

Pray tell, have you been chewing ice lately? Or getting light headed?

For about two weeks last month, I ate peanut butter on everything. EVERYTHING. I'd just stop, go over to the cabinet, and get out my jar of peanut butter to see if it'd work with what I was eating. I'll spare ya'll the details, but I discovered a lot of interesting combos, and I downed almost a third of a 2 pound jar in less than two weeks. :smalleek:

Oddly enough, the cravings have subsided over the last week or so... My mom was actually worried about me, and said my body was trying to tell me that something was wrong. I say I just like the taste of peanut butter, and it compliments a lot of foods and flavors. :smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2010-01-17, 10:29 PM
There's nothing I want that costs $96 or less

A metric ton of D&D books? :smalltongue:

charl
2010-01-17, 10:32 PM
Do you perhaps suffer a Vitamin B2 deficiency?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-17, 10:42 PM
Kyuubi: Maybe this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138483) will interest you.

It does and if my family had seen anybody or any charity that takes money for that I'dve been told believe me.

@gamerkid. I already have that due to my library:smalltongue:

Crimmy
2010-01-17, 11:08 PM
Could it be some sort of repressed desire/idea?

Like, I dunno, somewhere in time, you wanted a steak and/or blue cheese, and you were forbid to eat such thing. Perhaps there wasn't any more of it?

Or maybe it's simply what Phase said. You're pregnant, and most probably, 3 moths infected with that parasite. (Yeah, parasitic fiends count as pregnancy).

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-17, 11:12 PM
#1. No known deficiencies now or previously.
#2. Never been forbidden to eat anything.
#3. Gender = Manly dude

Tapeworms though... hmm

Mystic Muse
2010-01-17, 11:14 PM
okay, your gender is manly dude but what about your sex?:smalltongue:

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-01-17, 11:20 PM
Your body is demanding an increase in these foods as they contain something that will fuel your horrifying, destructively spontaneous mutation. There are probably ways to prevent it, but I don't think we caught it early enough. Keep a bucket of water next to your bed for the next few weeks, in case you wake up with a new set of gills.

Kneenibble
2010-01-17, 11:21 PM
Gah, no, not a fat craving. Chicken I got last night was like really fatty and it was grossing me out. I can barely stand anything fatty,
And yet, steak and blue cheese are both inherently fatty foods. Not greasy, which is perhaps what you meant about the chicken, but they are quite fatty.

Really? My bad. Thought it was inherent.

He did say he didn't often eat red meat. There being things in red meat that aren't in other foods rings a dim little bell, but it's not springing to mind right away.
Iron as many people have said is really its greatest micronutrient not so abundant in other foods, but it's so unlikely for an omnivore with any kind of variety in their diet to lack it.

I say either your liver is a little unhealthy or it's just psychological.

okay, your gender is manly dude but what about your sex?:smalltongue:
"Frequent and satisfying."
:smallcool:

Edit In my reading, crunchy starchy foods are the cravings that accompany intestinal parasites (I know the tapeworm was a joke but still).

Firestar27
2010-01-17, 11:42 PM
For about two weeks last month, I ate peanut butter on everything. EVERYTHING. I'd just stop, go over to the cabinet, and get out my jar of peanut butter to see if it'd work with what I was eating. I'll spare ya'll the details, but I discovered a lot of interesting combos, and I downed almost a third of a 2 pound jar in less than two weeks. :smalleek:

Please, I want to know of these "interesting combos". I like peanut butter. A lot. :smalltongue:

golentan
2010-01-17, 11:53 PM
How did my grandson wind up gestating in Vorpal Tribble?

Myself, I know I'm desperate for cyanide lately. Almonds, cherries, whatever. I can't get enough. I bought a thing of almond extract to mix in a capful with water and milk, and I ate a pound of cherries in just a couple days.

Mmm...

FoE
2010-01-17, 11:57 PM
Perhaps you have a cheese-craving parasite?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-18, 12:08 AM
Perhaps you have a cheese-craving parasite?

Cheese AND meat

Lycan 01
2010-01-18, 12:28 AM
Please, I want to know of these "interesting combos". I like peanut butter. A lot. :smalltongue:

Spoilered for those with weak stomachs...

Peanut butter/BBQ chicken hot pocket
Peanut butter/BBQ beef hot pocket
Peanut butter/pizza
Peanut butter/Tostino's Pizza Rolls
Peanut butter/corn dogs

Those were the good ones. There were one or two failed combos, though, that either didn't fully appeal to me or were put in the "things that should not be" category of my culinary discoveries.

chiasaur11
2010-01-18, 12:58 AM
Oh. Bad.

Remembered the movie where I got really starts wanting meat.

Of course, there it's raw, but...

Slither. Starring Nathan Fillion.

Let's just say it doesn't end well for anyone but Nathan, and he only survives as well as he does thanks to some luck.

Zombies, worm monsters...

And some reasonably amusing quips, but I already mentioned Nathan Fillion.

Eldan
2010-01-18, 02:56 AM
I'd recommend buying a large steak, cutting it open, filling it with blue cheese, sticking toothpicks in it to hold it shut and then fry it. It's delicious.

Coidzor
2010-01-18, 03:03 AM
Are you also craving and chewing ice, clay, dirt, cornstarch, or some other nutritionally void substance?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chewing-ice/AN01278

My bet is on iron deficiency, myself.

Try getting in some dark, leafy green vegetables, and maybe some asparagus.

Maybe some spanakopita would be good, something spinachy would be lighter and might help with the craving without being so caloriffic.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-18, 03:09 AM
Are you also craving and chewing ice, clay, dirt, cornstarch, or some other nutritionally void substance?

how about pens?

alternatively, Lady gaga music:smalltongue: (not chewing on that one though. that would indeed be odd)

golentan
2010-01-18, 03:11 AM
how about pens?

That's a sign you have a Lucre deficiency (I.E. are a student).

Mystic Muse
2010-01-18, 03:12 AM
That's a sign you have a Lucre deficiency (I.E. are a student).

that would be correct. Although I have no idea what lucre is.:smallconfused:

Lycan 01
2010-01-18, 03:15 AM
My bet is Iron. Just eat some foods that are high in Iron (check the nutritional value tables) and/or pick up some daily vitamens. After a few days of good Iron intake, if the cravings still persist, its something else.

Fun Fact: Cooking breakfast in a cast-iron skillet gives you a hearty but healthy dose of Iron.

Coidzor
^: My dad used to like to comment that the only place where people naturally ran into iron poisoning and toeing the line on it was a particular tribe or group of tribes(over-tribe?) that brewed its beer in cast iron pots (and possible kept it in them for awhile not related to just the brewing process as well)...

Filthy, filthy lucre (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lucre).

golentan

You have much to learn, young padawan. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/lucre)

Edit: Dang tesla ninjas.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-18, 03:18 AM
so, $95 is a deficiency of Lucre?

how much do I need before it's no longer a deficiency?

Coidzor
2010-01-18, 03:19 AM
so, $95 is a deficiency of Lucre?

how much do I need before it's no longer a deficiency?

<_< You can never have enough money? Haven't you seen any of those PSA episodes of children's television about the evulz of greed?

Recaiden
2010-01-18, 03:22 AM

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chewing-ice/AN01278

So, my chewing on ice is a bad sign? :smalleek: I just use it to get the taste of other foods away now...

Mystic Muse
2010-01-18, 03:28 AM
<_< You can never have enough money? Haven't you seen any of those PSA episodes of children's television about the evulz of greed?

no but I have heard greed is one of the seven deadly sins.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-18, 05:13 PM
Have you been reading, watching or playing something that might've triggered the cravings? The late author Lloyd Alexander (rest his soul) wrote that when he was a kid he'd start craving the foods he read about, having a chicken leg to substitute for the prize turkey in A Christmas Carol, honey dripping from his fingers while reading Winnie-The-Pooh, and cornflakes and grape juice as a poor mortal's ambrosia and nectar while reading Greek myths. I've had similar experiences, both with reading and other forms of media, like playing video games or watching movies (and not just craving popcorn when watching movies).

For instance, I was playing Dragon Age a couple weeks ago and a character in the game mentioned his lunch.

"It's a piece of lichen bread topped with a spread of old cheese and shredded dried meat."

I almost immediately started craving that.

Bouregard
2010-01-18, 06:04 PM
Have you been reading, watching or playing something that might've triggered the cravings? The late author Lloyd Alexander (rest his soul) wrote that when he was a kid he'd start craving the foods he read about, having a chicken leg to substitute for the prize turkey in A Christmas Carol, honey dripping from his fingers while reading Winnie-The-Pooh, and cornflakes and grape juice as a poor mortal's ambrosia and nectar while reading Greek myths. I've had similar experiences, both with reading and other forms of media, like playing video games or watching movies (and not just craving popcorn when watching movies).

For instance, I was playing Dragon Age a couple weeks ago and a character in the game mentioned his lunch.

"It's a piece of lichen bread topped with a spread of old cheese and shredded dried meat."

I almost immediately started craving that.

After I finished Portal.... well guess what I've buyed.

And a recent Simpsons episode with Homers donut issues... you don't want to know how difficult it is to get a decent donut in Germany.

RandomNPC
2010-01-20, 09:52 PM
if you're northern hemisphere i'd guess it's what your body randomly selected and you're being hit with a much stronger than normal hibernation urge.

think about it, every winter tons of people put on weight, is it because of thanksgiving and christmas feasts, or because you're getting ready for a winter, and the feast holidays lined up because of that?

chiasaur11
2010-01-20, 09:58 PM
After I finished Portal.... well guess what I've buyed.

And a recent Simpsons episode with Homers donut issues... you don't want to know how difficult it is to get a decent donut in Germany.

You don't have good donuts?

Then why did we hold WWI, anyway? Shameful.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-20, 10:00 PM
Because of my work schedule I actually haven't been able to participate in a single holiday meal the last two years.

But naw, no ice chewing either. I had a dream once years ackb in which I chewed on glass while thinking it was ice and choked on blood... woke up without having chewed a thing but I was sick to my stomach from it. Not been able to stand ice crunching since.

Actually, nauseating myself in my dreams seems to be pretty common. Occasionally have dogfood dreams... gaaaaaah

golentan
2010-01-21, 03:11 PM
You don't have good donuts?

Then why did we hold WWI, anyway? Shameful.

Because we weren't willing to give them our donut recipes?

After all, that Archie Duke fellow was so hungry he shot an ostrich.* No wonder everything kicked off.

*donut for the reference.