PDA

View Full Version : Aquariums in the Playground

bluewind95
2010-01-17, 09:36 PM
So... at the end of October last year, my sister got a very unwanted gift in a Halloween: a betta fish. She doesn't like fishes, so she came home and said: "Here. You have a new fish."

I can't say I was especially fond of fishes either. In my experience up to then, fishes don't really do anything. They swim. And ignore everything until it's feeding time. I couldn't just let the critter die, though. So off I went to the care store and got it the very basic minimum for keeping a betta. Half-gallon tank and what came in it: gravel, food, a plant, water conditioner.

I must say, the little critter won my heart. I now got him a much larger tank, a 10-gallon, and he shares it with 5 female bettas (separated from him, of course) and places for them to hide. I'm impressed at how cute and active and curious and smart (for fishes) they are.

So now I keep a little aquarium. So anyone else in the Playground keep fishes? Anyone else like them?

Kurien
2010-01-17, 09:45 PM
We used to have fishes, but they all died in a week or two.:smallfrown: I think it was probably some kind of fungus or bacteria in the water, because a white mould-like substance appears on their fins and the surface of the water, and their eyes get cloudy.

Yeah, we knew next to nothing about caring for fishes, or else they would have lived longer.

So are each of the fishes are separate in your setup, or are the females together, and the male segregated?

bluewind95
2010-01-17, 10:05 PM
Aww, poor fishies. :smallfrown: Yeah, that does sound like a bacteria or fungus of sorts.

I keep the females together and the male segregated. He can watch them (and apparently likes to do so), but he can't get to them. Which is good since I think he'd attack them if he could get to them. The females would be better off in a bigger space, but sadly, I already have them(before I found out they do better in bigger setups), they're not harming each other except for a few nips, they aren't too stressed-out by each other(they don't get "stress stripes" often) and I have no space/money for a bigger tank. I keep a close eye on them whenever I'm there. When I get the money and the space, they're going to get a bigger tank. The females have well over half the tank to themselves, and the male has the rest of the space.

Jack Squat
2010-01-17, 10:06 PM
I had a saltwater nanotank last year, then my fish died of mysterious causes (I think it may have had something to do with malfunctioning equipment causing increased stress). Didn't really know anything about saltwater tanks, so a nano probably wasn't the best choice to learn on. Once I fix everything, I'll see about getting it up as a freshwater (it's cheaper anyways), then maybe try a saltwater in a larger 10 gal. tank later on.

I can post pics of my last one, but it'd be kinda pointless since it's disassembled currently.

wxdruid
2010-01-17, 10:11 PM
I have two aquariums but neither of them have fish in them.

One has an old and bitey black dwarf hamster, I'm surprised he isn't dead yet.

The other one has a leopard gecko in it named Sam. He has a very fat tail and catlover feeds him crickets and mealworms.