PDA

View Full Version : New Skill and Associated Feats [PEACH]

dragonfan6490
2010-01-17, 10:40 PM
So my buddy and I were chatting a couple of weeks ago, and he presents me with his idea for a new skill: Brutality. The thing is, you have to convince the DM that your substitution is valid.

So here it is.

New Skill
*Brutality* (Cha)
Through an odd combination of rage, hate, force, and luck you do things you are not normally capable of doing.
*Check:* You may use your Brutality modifier for any skill check of a skill you are not trained in. The DC may be modified by the DM.
Special: Improved Brutality let you add you Str modifier to your Cha modifier for Brutality checks
*Synergy:* If you have 5 or more ranks in Intimidate, you get +2 on Brutality checks.
*Restriction:* Class Barbarian or Feat Brutality no untrained/cross class

*Brutality*
Through an odd combination of rage, hate, force, and luck you do things you are not normally capable of doing.
*Benefit:* You gain Brutality as a class skill

*Improved Brutality*
Through an odd combination of rage, hate, force, luck, and more force you do things you are not normally capable of doing.
*Prerequisite:* Brutality (feat), Brutality 10 ranks or BAB +5
*Benefit:* Add both Cha and Str modifiers to Brutality checks

Human Paragon 3
2010-01-17, 11:17 PM
That's ridiculous. For one feat, you essentially gain max ranks in every skill? Totally ridiculous. Maybe if all DCs were doubled...

Ashtagon
2010-01-18, 01:36 AM
That's ridiculous. For one feat, you essentially gain max ranks in every skill? Totally ridiculous. Maybe if all DCs were doubled...

It's worse than that. Unless I'm misreading that, a barbarian doesn't even need to spend that feat to get max ranks in everything.

lightningcat
2010-01-18, 02:12 AM
This has "Bad Idea" written all over it. The only skills you would ever put ranks into would be Brutality, Intimidate and Wisdom based skills, and it would overshadow the other player's contibutions on any Charisma, Dexterity, or Strength based skills. I can't imagine any way to convince a DM that it would replace any Intelligence or Wisdom based skill, such as Spot or Listen. Now I'm not totally against some amount of powergaming aka optimising, but this takes it straight to munchin levels.

Demons_eye
2010-01-18, 02:44 AM
Maybe make this into a ACF for the barbarian:

Lose Trap sense
Gain: Brutality

You gain a bonus to psychical skills (and some mental) based on you brutality. Apply when making a Str, Dex, Con, check or skill check along with gather information and intimidate.

Special: if you have 5 or more ranks into intimidate you brutality increase by 2.

Feat:
Savage/Dexterous/Powerful/Wise/Intelligent/Gracefu Brutality
You Savage/Dexterous/Powerful/Wise/Intelligent/Graceful power knows no bounds
Need Brutality
Effect: Gain your Str/Dex/Con/Wis/Int/Cha to you brutality score

Drolyt
2010-01-18, 10:49 AM
Sorry, this is a pretty bad idea. Instead of making it a skill make it a feat or Alternate Class feature that allows you to replace some rolls with brutality checks, but make it more difficult to get really high bonuses to brutality checks (ie without optimization it should be +2 or +4 at most). With optimization though (like spending all your feats on it and taking alternate class features) you could set it up so that it not only grants a really high bonus but can replace things other than skill checks.

Ouranos
2010-01-18, 11:11 AM
Make it ain alternate class feature and skill check, perhaps? BUT up the DC's by minimum 5 for EVERY check you do with it, cannot apply to crafting skills, and restrict max ranks in it to equal to class level instead of character level+3.