PDA

View Full Version : Nightmares that get you laughed at

golentan
2010-01-18, 03:55 AM
Does anyone else have nightmares that people laugh at them for? I couldn't sleep last night because my dreams were terrifying (I'm a lucid dreamer, but that only makes nightmares worse. A fact that undoubtedly has interesting things to say about me). So having gotten less than 3 hours of sleep, I rise to be greeted by inquiries about my dreams.

"Nightmares" I say as I reach for the coffee. "Couldn't sleep"

"What about?" enquire my housemates.

"The usual. Plague. Fire. Death. Faeries." I am interrupted at this point by a spray of hot liquid and guffaws.

"Faeries?" they choke out between giggles and toast.

"Yes. Faeries."

"Faeries scare you?"

"Let's see. Child stealing, emotionless, or alien emotioned at best, vindictive creatures operating entirely outside my sphere of experience and which I can't kill with my normal loadout? Yes. Faeries scare me."

And now the "Look out, it's Tinkerbell" jokes won't stop.

So who else has nightmares that if shared tend to paint the walls with breakfast? What is it that scares the pants off you and is met solely with derision (or you keep to yourself out of fear)?

Am I the only one?

Eldan
2010-01-18, 03:57 AM
I had a very weird nightmare when I was a kid.

I am sitting in our living room, on the couch, opposite the TV. A little spaceship flies through the door, about 20cm (a little less than a foot) long. It makes a very high-pitched screeching noise.

At this point, I woke up, terrified as I've never been in my live before, crying, shaking, everything. And I still have no idea why it scared me so.

Serpentine
2010-01-18, 04:14 AM
My cat turned into a horribly racist human. We had a battle with the butts of rifles, then I locked him in a car, somehow in cat form again, and scolded him mightily. I woke up crying, because my cat was racist.

Coidzor
2010-01-18, 04:33 AM
My cat turned into a horribly racist human. We had a battle with the butts of rifles, then I locked him in a car, somehow in cat form again, and scolded him mightily. I woke up crying, because my cat was racist.

<_< Yes, but then you can just get it put to sleep. Because it's a cat. An evil cat, but, y'know, that's sort of par for the course. Did I mention putting it to sleep?

The only thing that would even be remotely close as far as I can recall, anyway, would be the nightmares I had where I was distressed at watching myself turn/be evil, doing many deeds which would not be board safe to discuss.

reorith
2010-01-18, 04:45 AM
i have this dream. i'm in a wasteland. the sky is gray and it rains ashes. the land is scorched. like the road or lethem's amnesia moon. i'm wandering in this space and i came across kate bush and a dude. they tell me they're starving and i tell them i have nothing. after i leave, i find a can of peaches on top of a rock so i grab it and run back and i offer it to them, but then drew carey pops up and tells me i can't give them the peaches because they're his pears. so i told him he was a fat fourstar, and the people were starving and they're actually peaches. drew carey, enraged by my display of defiance, starts choking me, so i grab my gun and press it into his stomach and empty a whole magazine into him before i wake up. :smallfrown:

Lorn
2010-01-18, 04:53 AM
Getting shot at by the police for smoking illicit substances by the side of the road with a bunch of randoms on the Albanian border. If I remember right, Greggs' fudge donuts were involved somehow.
Much laughter was had when someone got that one out of me...

There was also one which could be described as vaguely disturbing as opposed to amusing...
It involved literally disembowelling myself over a period of several days at one point, actually. Pretty horrifying. No pain, just... an increasing feeling of emptiness. Every day, in this dream, something bad would happen and I'd take out a different internal organ. I woke up after extracting my heart and putting out my eyes, which came after kidneys (one at once,) liver, lungs and intestines... It wasn't always something really bad, just something I couldn't get out of my head, if that makes sense.
Then again, that one didn't get me laughed at as much as horrified people asking questions along the lines of "what the ****?!?" when I explained it in too much detail... got to love half-lucid dreams. When I woke up after it I literally patted myself down to make sure I wasn't mostly hollow.

Serpentine
2010-01-18, 05:02 AM
<_< Yes, but then you can just get it put to sleep. Because it's a cat. An evil cat, but, y'know, that's sort of par for the course. Did I mention putting it to sleep?You want to make me cry again? :smallfrown:

Coidzor
2010-01-18, 05:06 AM
You want to make me cry again? :smallfrown:

Nah, I just find life to be cheap after having lost about 20 cats growing up. You sort of grow cold to their deaths after the first half dozen that you care about getting hit by cars or eaten by dogs that break into your garage.

Euthanizing a shapeshifter in their animal form is usually less morally objectionable to others than killing the humanoid form, if you can get your hands on 'em to do it, anyway, and have it confirmed that it was them and not a decoy animal.

ondonaflash
2010-01-18, 05:54 AM
I don't talk about my nightmares for this reason, among others, but I also refuse to mock someone for a nightmare. While I have only personal experience to back up this conclusion, I suspect that nightmares are as much physical as they are mental. You have the right to your own dreams and nobody deserves to be mocked for having a dream others feel is "silly".

Dr.Epic
2010-01-18, 06:09 AM
Never had a nightmare that made me laugh. Had a nightmare that woke me up in absolute terror. The actual dream was only like 3 seconds long. A man broke into my room. I only saw the outline before I woke up. Kind of pathetic of me now that I think of it.

Yarram
2010-01-18, 06:29 AM
I was creeped out by this, as it happened last night:
I dreamt that my mother called me out of my room to do something. I woke up at 6am this morning and stumbled out of my room, calling out, "Mum? You wanted something?"
I called out because in my dream she was down the hallway. Several seconds later, she spoke from about a metre to my left, and then I realized that it had all been a terrible, terrible dream.

Ashen Lilies
2010-01-18, 06:45 AM
Your housemates are idiots golentan. Faeries are friggin' scary. e_e

I do not tell others my dreams. But my (very rare) nightmares usually consist of people I know doing things so blatantly cruel and jerkassish and out of character, that despite waking up in tears, I still have to laugh at myself for being an idiot.
Of course, sometimes I wake up, and can totally imagine the people in my dream doing that in real life. I tend to curl up into a little ball and avoid them for the rest of the day.

Dr. Bath
2010-01-18, 07:12 AM
Polyhedrons, man. Polyhedrons. In multiple colours.

bosssmiley
2010-01-18, 07:16 AM
The one about the bookcases. There just wasn't room for them, and it really freaked me out. No-one else understood of course.

Link semi-related (http://sleeptalkinman.blogspot.com/) (SFW, funny)

Anuan
2010-01-18, 07:30 AM
Mostly, mine aren't board-safe. But yes. I've had many.

Gamerlord
2010-01-18, 07:51 AM
The blue things from galaxy quest. *Shudder*.
And an old nightmare I had as a kid got me laughed at. Wanna know it?
It was my toy Thomas the train engine, TRYING TO EAT ME ALIVE. And strangely, ever since that dream I continued to trip over the cursed contraption till I banished it to the basement.
That and HORIFFIC series of dreams relating to witches I had as a child, I blame Arthur for those nightmares. Yes, the TV show.

Totally Guy
2010-01-18, 07:52 AM
Last night it was being stopped by fast food people for free samples but being made to sit though a time-share sales presentation about fast food.

And nobody could see that I was in a hurry. One of my eyes fell out so I was looking for a doctor. But all I got was fast food sales pitches.

Then I queried which of my eyes had come out. So I started winking, once with each eye. Then I looked into a reflection on the clock in the shopping centre and saw they'd both become dark green but sort of incorporeal. So what was the eye in the jar of water that I was taking to the doctor?

It was a scary dream.

Headless_Ninja
2010-01-18, 08:12 AM
So what was the eye in the jar of water that I was taking to the doctor?
That is actually very creepy!
I had an odd nightmare that got me laughed at by my family - admittedly I was aware that it was a ridiculous dream and was laughing along with them. I won't go over much into the main body of the dream (it involved adventure and betrayal in the quest for the treasure of Microsoft), but the end was very scary. One of my adventuring team, a man who had the power to turn into a mammoth, had 'gone rogue', and I was reading a newspaper article on how another team member had been mysteriously trampled to death. I realised what was happening and fled, but the mammoth creature soon gave chase. I took shelter in a disco that was inexplicably Japanese high school themed, but soon the doors were being pounded at by something huge, which was emitting a terrible trumpeting noise...
I also had a 'bad dream' that was laughable only for the transparency of its symbolism - I woke up and, surprised, realised that Valentine's Day had been moved to that day. But when I sought out someone to discuss this with, I found that my flat, the street, even the entire city were all completely devoid of human life other than myself. My subconscious is ridiculously blunt sometimes.

Shademan
2010-01-18, 08:14 AM
the octopus from the plastic sea tries to steal my kinder-egg figurines! NOOOO!

yeah I don't really own any figurines... Oh, and offcourse, the dream where this one character from Donald Duck turned into a vampire and murdered my family

CurlyKitGirl
2010-01-18, 08:43 AM
When I was little I had an absolutely terrifying incident (supernatural in nature) with one of my favourite dolls. I know it wasn't a dream because both my Mum and Uncle who were in the experience also remember it.

Because of it I am now genuinely terrified of most dolls, marrionettes and puppets and the onl nightmares I can remember revolve around them or clowns. Noone understands. They think it's silly.

But being locked in a room which is essentially crammed full of display cases of china and bisque dolls staring down at you with those glassy, empty eyes and those horrific faint smiles on their faces hinting at such hells and dooms we can only imagine!
AND THEY SMILE!
And the puppets hanging from the ceiling spasming in the breeze and smiling their grotesque smile and making people think it's fun and jolly!
*shudders*
And there is no way out.
Things, the dolls in the locked display cases move when I'm not looking at them. They're still smiling.
They know I know they're moving. They're coming.
Oh Gods, those smiles. They want to get me. They want to hurt me.
The puppets entangle me in their strings and their ghastly little limbs strike me and wrap around my hair. They want me there.
They want to see the fun.
I can't get out. The door is gone. The window is gone. But the strings and puppets are still moving when I look at them.
They're going to kill me.
I wake up gasping in terror when I look around pleading for a way out, praying to anyone and anything I can remember and then I know the only thing that can hear me wants me dead.
I saw that the doors to the glass cases were open.

Worst. Nightmare. Ever.

Closak
2010-01-18, 08:48 AM
Being swarmed by millions of clones of my younger siblings.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Totally Guy
2010-01-18, 08:51 AM
When I was little I had an absolutely terrifying incident (supernatural in nature) with one of my favourite dolls. I know it wasn't a dream because both my Mum and Uncle who were in the experience also remember it.

I want to hear more about this. And don't say there needs to be a Supernatural Events thread, they keep getting locked...

CurlyKitGirl
2010-01-18, 09:14 AM
I want to hear more about this. And don't say there needs to be a Supernatural Events thread, they keep getting locked...

There needs to be a SUpernatural Events thread. :smalltongue:

And now I recount the event that gave me my phobia.

I was five or six years old, and it was in the early part of October. It was around eleven o'clock, it was dark and cloudy outside and extremely windy; but no rain or storms.
At this point I shared a room with my two Little Brothers and Little Sister slept in Mum and Dad's room. In preparation for when she was a Big Girl I had a bunk bed, as did my brothers. This put my head on level with the top of the wardrobe where the Doll rested.
The Doll was a late birthday present from my Granny; it could walk and sing if you put the CD in. However, the Doll was a little broken - it couldn't walk properly so it was on the wardrobe waiting to be taken to the Doll Hospital for fixing. In preparation of this the CD and batteries had been taken out and the Doll was switched off as well.
Around eleven I woke up because I hear someone singing and thought it was the TV downstairs. Then I realised the singing was in the room and coming from my left (my bunk bed was positioned so that the wall was on one side and the wardrobe was next to my head (I had a habit of falling out of the bunk bed)) on the left hand side.
I recognised the song as London Bridge Is Falling Down. The song the Doll sang. We stopped using the CD a while ago because it had gotten scratched. It got to 'my fair lady' and instead of skipping and repeating the line as it used to; or stopping as it was supposed to, it went back to the beginning of the song and sang it again and again and again and again.
I was sitting bolt upright in bed staring at the Doll in absolute, near bedwetting terror for what felt like hours, but was probably only ten or so minutes. Ten minutes too long!
Downstairs Mum and an Uncle heard the singing and, thinking it was one of us, went upstairs to find out who it was. When they were healfway up the stairs they could make out the song and voice. It was not a boy's voice. It was not mine.
They ran to my room and stared at me and the Doll. The Doll, which had being resting against a box at a forty-five degree angle leant forwards and my Mum shriek-whispered "Turn it off, turn it off, turn if off." My Uncle went to do so, but when he opened the back of her dress to swtich her off he went dead-pale. "The doll's already off."
And it was still singing. A few moments later it stopped. Mum then remembered that the CD and batteries were also downstairs so what had just happened was logically impossible.
Understandably, the Doll was binned that very night and I didn't sleep. And developed my fear of dolls and marionnettes and puppets.

Mum and Uncle even checked the weather forecast the next day thinking it was electrical storms, but nothing. No reasonable explanation has ever surfaced that could explain everything.

Keshay
2010-01-18, 12:11 PM
Oy, that is a spine-tingly chilling story. I hope there was fire and holy water involved shortly thereafter.

My worst recurrent nightmare has gotten me laughed at a bit, even my wife has laughed it off. I stared having it before we met, but still, you'd think it would have stopped by now.

The dream starts with me walking alone into a Perkin's (or some similar low-to mid quality chain "family restauraunt"). The hostess notices me, knows me on sight and takes me to "my table". Without ordering I am brought "the usual", which I eat savoring every bite. Somewhere midway through the meal, I get a glimpse of myself in a reflective surface. I'm old. 70s or 80s. I'm alone, and I'm experiencing complete and utter joy eating this mediocre excuse for a meal by myself because its the only time in the past week I've gotten out of the house and seen other people.

I hate that dream.

DraPrime
2010-01-18, 12:25 PM
One nightmare of mine usually gets laughs, simply because it sounds totally ridiculous. Here's the story:

I was a giant human-sized squirrel. A red one, with clothes and all that. I was being chased around by a giant angry sumo wrestler....with no head. I ran away with him by flying. How did I achieve flight? By holding a fan with my tail and flapping really hard of course!

Whenever anyone hears this, they always find it absurd enough to laugh a bit. I mean seriously, a human-sized squirrel that flies with a fan, being chased by a headless sumo wrestler?

thubby
2010-01-18, 12:39 PM
my nightmares are pretty standard fair, what makes at least some people laugh is that i have sleep paralysis and so i sometimes wake from those dreams screaming bloody murder.

Neko Toast
2010-01-18, 12:40 PM
I don't think I've ever had a nightmare that would have gotten me laughed at. At least, not recently. It used to be that my nightmares involved bees swarming me. But lately, my nightmares have involved me seizing or being injured in gruesome ways. Not only that, but I can usually feel pain in these dreams. I told my friend about one of these dreams last week, and his response was "Wow... That's horrible."

So, no. I have not had a nightmare that is laugh-worthy.

Trog
2010-01-18, 12:51 PM
"Faeries scare you?"
Have you read Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist by any chance? Creepy and I rather enjoyed it.

Prime32
2010-01-18, 01:29 PM
The most "laugh-worthy" nightmare I can remember was that my fingers were stretching. And it was completely terrifying. I had it all the time when I was younger - I understand it's quite common.

Apparently I had a night terror once, but I can't remember it.

And yes, fairies are terrifying (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheFairFolk). It's just that the mass media depiction is very watered-down. Heck, even leprechauns are always depicted as outwitting people.

You want a modern depiction of a fey? Ryuk from Death Note.

ghost_warlock
2010-01-18, 01:42 PM
Because of it I am now genuinely terrified of most dolls, marrionettes and puppets and the onl nightmares I can remember revolve around them or clowns. Noone understands. They think it's silly.

Obligatory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTSkWnKs9rM).

On topic:

The only nightmare I've had that has ever been laughed at by someone was the dream in which I was living in a house together with my girlfriend and four of my exes. In real life, I actually get along with my exes, keep in contact with a few over Facebook, but in the dream they were all jealous, vindictive, and generally unpleasant towards me and each other. Was the only dream I can remember waking up in a cold sweat...:smalleek:

When I was in high school I used to have nightmares about losing/breaking my teeth or finding teeth in my food. Probably not particularly funny.

Usually, I don't find my "nightmares" to be frightening so much as depressing. The "scary" stuff I dream about usually involves zombies or extradimensional monsters, both of which I actually find entertaining when I dream about them - it's like my own private viewing of a new horror movie. :smallsmile:

Zanaril
2010-01-18, 01:50 PM
When I was in high school I used to have nightmares about losing/breaking my teeth or finding teeth in my food. Probably not particularly funny.

I get those a lot too, although the scary part of the dreams is is that I'm asking people I know for help and they just tell me to stop being a wimp.

Solaris
2010-01-18, 01:55 PM
The one where I was in a firefight and my M4 kept going 'clicky' usually gets me odd looks, but only 'cause it'll only go 'clicky' once without being charged again.
That, and I was shooting at zombies. I'm kinda glad that one's never gotten graphic - a half-lucid dream where you're awake but the interrupt between your brain and body is still active and zombies are eating you is all kinds of not fun.

Coidzor
2010-01-18, 01:56 PM
You want a modern depiction of a fey? Ryuk from Death Note.

Too ugly, he'd get kicked out for not keeping his glamer up.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-18, 02:46 PM
In my nightmares I'm morphed halfway to the other sex

It's rather awkward being a hermaphrodite in your dreams.

(no I have not told my family this but I think this board is anonymous enough that it doesn't matter here)

Eldan
2010-01-18, 05:03 PM
Too ugly, he'd get kicked out for not keeping his glamer up.

They can have strange ideas of beauty.
But yes, most Shinigami (or all, really) don't really have the fey look. He's probably one of the least bad. At least he has skin, and eyes. But the mentality seems right.

chiasaur11
2010-01-18, 06:30 PM
I was once terrified of the shoes from the Hoosiers box due to a fairly incoherent nightmare. Ah, youth.

More recently, I've found that I occasionally die in dreams with no consequences whatsoever. Not fun, but it does reduce how much dreams can scare one in waking life with the whole halfhearted "If you die in a dream" fear gone.

The Blackbird
2010-01-18, 07:12 PM
*Doll Story*.

Because of this I'm probably going to post in this thread tomarrow about a nightmare I had including something along the lines of this.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/NamonakiRei/BITIWC.png

Except now the doll will be singing...

AshDesert
2010-01-18, 08:35 PM
This isn't one that got laughs, so much as creepy looks because of my (apparent) psychic powers. I had a nightmare that I found a whole fingernail in a bowl of chili the night before a woman "found" one in her chili at Wendy's (or some other restaurant like that, I can't be bothered to remember).

One that got laughs was a bad dream I had about being devoured by a swarm of piranhas that had cat faces after seeing PETA's horrible attempt at making fish cute (not going to say my personal views on PETA, just saying that their "Sea Kittens" look terrifying to me).

Lykan
2010-01-18, 11:30 PM
-doll story-

Well, I've also got a fear of dolls. Thanks for this. >.>

Mine is less from one in my house and more because of a rather famous one housed in a museum called Robert (http://www.squidoo.com/dollrobert). Creepy little soul-sucking jerk... I got a bunch of doll-related nightmares from the thing (as well as of demonic possession and mind control), so my brother saw it fit to taunt me about it for a weeks afterward.

After that I decided not to divulge my nightmares and phobias to other people for fear of mockery. Though I seem to be telling everyone here, so whatever. :smalltongue:

golentan
2010-01-18, 11:33 PM
Blackbird, congratulations. That picture will give me new nightmares tonight, I'm sure.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-01-19, 12:59 AM
Not quite nightmare...but it was disconcerting. I was in my bedroom, and found cookies and ham which must have been there for 8 months. They looked perfectly edible, but I was feeling a heavy sense of loss about throwing them out.

It was also dark and an unseen radio (I knew somehow it was a grainy old one from the eighties) blared this song:

And so I came to knooooooooow you
And to loooooooove you and all the strange things you dooooooooo.
Just so long as you follow my ruuuuuuuules:

Stay away from my cookies, MITCH!!!
Stay away from my boys, MITCH!!!!
And one more thing Mitch,
You're DEAD!!! Why are you dead!!! Can ya not be dead!!!
NO!!
Ha ha ha (Dissolves into frenzied giggling and gurgling)

I woke up as I ran down the stairs...not exactly disturbed, but very disoriented.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for pea roasting that Blackbird. That doll is a liar...she'll kill you whether you tell her she's cute or not. Oh, wait, he's already dead. She's stupid, too.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-21, 06:32 PM
I had a dream last night where I necroed a thread and got a major infraction from Roland.

yes. My fear of getting infractions has invaded my dreams.

Winter_Wolf
2010-01-21, 10:18 PM
I sympathize with the creepy doll thing. I've loathed the things for a good long time now, possibly even before the time I stayed in a Japanese inn and they hung a porcelain Noh mask on the wall. I was the only person in that building, it was storming pretty bad, and the lightning did strange things to the mask's face, which was situated so that I couldn't really turn away from it. Or more to the point, I was afraid to turn my back on it, just in case. Same logic for why I didn't just cover it with a cloth or put it in a drawer or something.

Oh, and I hate, hate, hate those little Japanese doll festival dolls. About three inches high, porcelain faces, dressed up in old traditional clothes. Guy I knew had three daughters, and each daughter had a full set of the dolls. There's about 100 in a set, and he had them all set up in his living room facing the sofa. I had to sit in that room with 300 of those things looking at me for what seemed like an hour. I've never actually had a panic attack, but I think I was pretty close to keeling over in there, and I know my blood pressure shot WAY up into dangerous levels.

Yes, I find Chucky scary. I'm sure it's all rooted in some childhood nightmare that I've repressed so well I can't remember it in my conscious mind. Oh, and marionette sized clowns with scary stitched faces. It was a gift from the same family that had 300 tiny porcelain monsters sitting in their living room. Ever try to fake sincerity and gratitude when filled with absolute loathing? I could be an award winning actor, I tell you!

Sure, I get mocked by my friends when I tell them these things, but they stop laughing right quick when I tell them about my other nightmares. Heheheh..... :smallamused:

Pocketa
2010-01-22, 12:36 AM
I had a dream that my friend had a really weird surreal wedding, like Wedding Crashers tier or weirder, and that I had to tell him something I thought was important and nobody else did, and I was unable to get to him because whenever I got close, a congo line or something would come between us. It was really weird and he laughed when I told it to him.

It's a platonic friend I don't even know that well! I can laugh about it now, but in the dream, I was sad.

Phae Nymna
2010-01-22, 12:44 AM
I have recurring nightmares about zombies. People laugh about this. I do not understand.

Also, people laugh at me when I talk about my erotic nightmares and when I talk about the weird happenings in my house. On nights where no one hears anything I sometimes wake up on the floor. Or when they hear something, they hear running in the hall but I'm sound asleep in my room.

Pocketa
2010-01-22, 12:47 AM
This is turning into something like the threads on 4chan's /x/.
/x/ for x files, not for something else.

I think the house one is definitely weird. I have had a lack of dreams recently. I'll close my eyes at 10pm, open them and it's 6am, no passage of time detected. Sometimes I'm still tired, sometimes not. That only happens a couple times a month at max though, and maybe I'm just really tired when I get to bed.

Partof1
2010-01-22, 01:12 AM
Well, I have strange, but unclear one. It is half lucid, I suppose, but i'm more a spectator in my own body, in place, doing nothing.

On a couple occasions over my life, I'd be lying in my rroom, when it simply gets deformed. It is dark, but not pitch-black, so i can kind of see. The room may stretch out, the bottom edges of the walls rounding out. Room goes very gray. I can remember seeing, or knowing of, a large mass, not a person, nor particular shape, just something that takes up space. Sometimes it could be a rather large cupe, or something like a cube, with me looking into my room at it. It may have been moving, or multiplying, possibly bouncing, like the screensavers. It left a distinctive sensation, like a sharp jolt, like falling, but not painful. A sudden tensing of muscles.

Regardless, it is an odd recurring dream.

Aiurax
2010-01-22, 01:19 AM
I did have a nightmare that most laugh at.
When I was little I adored Scooby Doo! So, naturally, I watched a film called 'Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School'... It gave me nightmares for weeks.
I couldn't sleep without making sure every part of my body was covered so that I was hidden from the monsters. Due to that vampire in it I wore halter necks for those weeks, even though it was summer. I only stopped after those weeks because my mother sat me down and told me none of it was real.
That was the same day she told me Santa wasn't real too :smallfrown:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-22, 01:32 AM
I did have a nightmare that most laugh at.
When I was little I adored Scooby Doo! So, naturally, I watched a film called 'Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School'... It gave me nightmares for weeks.
I couldn't sleep without making sure every part of my body was covered so that I was hidden from the monsters. Due to that vampire in it I wore halter necks for those weeks, even though it was summer. I only stopped after those weeks because my mother sat me down and told me none of it was real.
That was the same day she told me Santa wasn't real too :smallfrown:

:smallfrown: *hugs*

oh, and Dragons ARE real.:smallamused: they're called Komodo Dragons

Aiurax
2010-01-22, 03:22 AM
:smallfrown: *hugs*

oh, and Dragons ARE real.:smallamused: they're called Komodo Dragons

*shock*
My mummy lied to me! So does this mean if she lied about that, Santa's real too? Because, I mean, he really skimped on my presents last christmas..
Ahh I think i'll have a nightmare about komodo dragons now, knowing my luck.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-22, 12:48 PM
*shock*
My mummy lied to me! So does this mean if she lied about that, Santa's real too? Because, I mean, he really skimped on my presents last christmas..
Ahh I think i'll have a nightmare about komodo dragons now, knowing my luck.

he's SORT of real. There is a saint Nicholas but he's no longer alive.

but the Holiday figure known as Santa claus? no, he's not real. sorry.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-01-22, 02:27 PM
Crossposted from RB:

Who likes short films about creepy dolls? Everyone that is who (http://vimeo.com/4749536?hd=1).

Yeah, I saw that about ten o'clock last night. There is a shop - a charity shop of sorts - that I walk past every now and then that has a small host of dolls on display.
Try combining that video with my real life places and fears. But after the climax where the girl becomes a doll the other dolls try to kill me and tear me limb from limb.
But I'm not alive, just conscious and unable to scream my undying agony.

They still think it's a silly fear.

Mr. Spock
2010-01-22, 11:51 PM
I once had a dream where i was at my elementary school, i was in the second grade, and ninja stole my shoes.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-22, 11:52 PM
I once had a dream I was being chased by Pamela Anderson. The worse part is she caught me.

druid91
2010-01-23, 01:04 AM
My nightmares rarely make any sense because in my dreams, because if it makes sense I can kill it. So my biggest nightmare is running through a swamp terrified by these weird green shadows on the ground, in the shape of letters, forming the word "boo!!!" not kidding.

2010-01-23, 02:23 AM
Mum and Uncle even checked the weather forecast the next day thinking it was electrical storms, but nothing. No reasonable explanation has ever surfaced that could explain everything.

well damn. now i have to take a shot at explaining it, and how would electrical storms do that? are they known for spouting exposition? maybe the doll had some internal memory? maybe a crossed wire or something? power buttons arent magical, maybe that was part of what was broken? how was it normally activated? maybe it had an internal battery, ive seen those before in childrens toys. maybe it was a factory screwup or a deliberate attempt to scare you by a brother or the demon who posessed the dresser to rewire the doll; hired by the mafia to-okay i think im done for the night. still creepy, but a little more explained i hope. sorry for getting all conspiracyy-not a real word; i know.

anyone who doesnt find evil faeries scary needs to watch/read something that wasnt made by disney. *shivers*

Graywolf
2010-01-23, 05:09 AM
Well, about three years ago I got fired from the store I worked at. Afterward I found a much better job

But for about a year after I got my new job, I had a recurring nightmare where I got my old job back.

Asta Kask
2010-01-23, 05:15 AM
My nightmares are fairly standard anxiety dream - I'm at my job naked and can't find my clothes. Or I have to take a math quiz for 5th grade again and can't make heads or tails of it.

oxinabox
2010-01-23, 05:27 AM
"The usual. Plague. Fire. Death. Faeries."

Am I the only one?

Nope, I'm playing (well running) to much nWod:CtL at the moment also.
I had one about a betrayer in the courts. out killing other changeling, i remember ording a motley to show him the cold iron.

Is it wrong that my first thought on waking up from a nightmare is:
"Damn, quick paper! I need to take notes! THis is damn finr Word Of Darkness content!"

Understandably, the Doll was binned that very night and I didn't sleep.

Standard responce to all supernatural terror.
Stake it though the heart,
Cut off it's head, stuff with lemons,garlic and salt,
place in silver box strapped with cold iron, bury under crossroads.

Burn it's body and scatter the ashes (seperatly) to each of the four winds.
this method was originally designed for vampires, but i'm yet to find anything it doesn't work on. infact so far nothing has survived step one.

Calenestel
2010-01-23, 05:33 AM
Somewhere NEAR a nightmare at least. I once had this fever dream see...

I dreamt I was a jedi (blue lightsaber, btw). Cool? Well, my best friend proved to be a sith and we had to duel (of course). Ending in his death :smallfrown: and me loosing my right hand :smalleek:. In the end of the dream I had a robotic replacement, complete with a black leather gauntlet.
What really freaked me out? Waking up and finding a black leather glove on my right hand! Seriously. I ripped it right of but at the same time I realized that it would be made to feel anything an ordinary hand could feel. I couldn't calm down until after I had taken a pin and pricked one of my fingers.

Not-geeks (:thog:) never can take this seriously.

Aure Entuluva!
Calenestel

Rettu Skcollob
2010-01-23, 09:08 AM
I had a dream wherein I punched guys with Hitler until we came to a bridge, then he taught me about the meaning of friendship and hope. That's just the abridged version, by the way.

Oh, and I had one where one of those piranha plants from Mario™ ate my hands.

The nightmares that don't get me laughed at I don't remember, because I only get told the next morning. Waking up, it's usually a bit of a shock to find out I woke up in the middle of the night screaming, swearing and shouting, pouring frantic gibberish that usually ends with something along the lines of "I don't know what just happened to me" before I fall back to sleep, only to remember nothing the next morning.

My subconscious hates me.

zvbxrpl
2010-01-23, 04:30 PM
Man, I had a not-scary-but-panicky nightmare where I was watching Inglourious Basterds with my grandparents. And I haven't even seen Inglourious Basters.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-23, 08:25 PM
The Thirty Years War (1618-1648) restarted in the modern United States. Also, there were clones of various historical geniuses around, who weren't involved in the conflict and just wanted to work for the good of everyone. In a sequence that was probably influenced by my memories of news stories about the Rwandan Genocide two years before I had this dream, I and a group of members of one religious group attacked a group of people from the opposing religious group hiding in a boathouse. In the process, I killed an Einstein clone with a machete, mistakenly thinking he was a member of the opposing religious group. Anyway, killing the cloned geniuses was a Very Bad Thing and they were neutral in the conflict, so the rest of the dream involved me being crushed by remorse and going on a quest to redeem myself. I am still terrified by the concept of killing someone I respect and admire while attempting to kill someone else.

When I mentioned to a friend of mine (who'd just recounted a nightmare she had) that I'd had a nightmare about accidentally decapitating Einstein when I was young, she laughed and demanded the whole story. Which is that.

GoC
2010-01-23, 10:37 PM
No reasonable explanation has ever surfaced that could explain everything.

A 1 in 10100^100 electron tunneling event?:smalltongue:

llamamushroom
2010-01-24, 07:54 AM
-Creepy Doll Phobia-

That fear is justified, damnit! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO2OocOVcJo)

I don't remember most of my dreams, and those that I do are ones I have at Choir Camp/our occaisional mid-year meetings. One involved the disturbingly pagan-ritual-esque closing ceremony of the Tasmanian Festival of Voices (we had a procession to a massive bonfire lit by people in red with holly garlands while singing a song with only one discernible word - Salamanca (supposedly a sight of the devil's university)). They were sacrificing virgins, so, naturally, I had to find someone with whom to lose my virginity or be sacrificed. Thing is, everyone I tried to ask sort of... exploded. The ghost's-corpse-has-just-been-torched effect out of Supernatural is closest. At which point it turned into something like Assassin's Creed as I ran away from the cultists.

More recently, I dreamed that my bones had stopped growing at puberty, and that the two feet of height that I had gained since then was just cartilage... which was starting to break down. Painfully. The dream ended right after extensive surgery where they replaced my lower shin with an iron... thingy. I took my first baby step, then got a TV-camera close-up of the muscles rippling as they tore free, along with some quite exquisite pain.

Finally, a friend's was that there was a war going on in the college the camp was being put up in. She and most of our group were trying to run, but in every scene (she has movie-like dreams), I was randomly in the background wearing a black leotard and tutu, doing ballet. I've never done ballet, but apparently I was pirrouette-ing and jetette-ing on rooftops, in pavillions, and once in a prison cell. We laughed, and if it hadn't been for that wtf-factor it would've been terrifying.