PDA

View Full Version : No above lvl 20 characters

Adamaro
2010-01-18, 05:27 AM
In a world of epic lvls there are no gods. So, in my generic world, gods decided to kill anybody, trying to exceed lvl 20. (or make sure such a child never even exists/is interested in girls instead of books/ becomes a drunk and not an aspriratious wizard ...). But that may spell pure boredom for all lvl 20 wizards.
Since gods have a complete hard** for Balance between good, evil and neutral, not much may change here. So I wonder - is it even possible to make an interesting lvl 20 campaign in such a world? Or is there a way for a in-world mortal to crack such a setting?

Bayar
2010-01-18, 05:31 AM
By level 20, characters generally start killing gods. Epic is just a bit of icing on the cake. Removing epic levels wont make pre-epic gameplay more balanced or harder.

Zephyros
2010-01-18, 05:33 AM
Paranoid wizards who draw close to the dead-line might have a chance to aspire beyond the mortal limits those gods set. After that who knows.. Maybe they ascend to godhood and enforce even stricter limits (level 10??? :smallbiggrin:)

bosssmiley
2010-01-18, 05:54 AM
In a world of epic lvls there are no gods.

Not strictly true. In an epic setting the gods are the Epic level characters that got there first, discovered how to derive yet more power (Divine Ranks) from the worship of mortals, then hid away knowledge of how they did it so as to maintain their monopoly on grovelling praise and sacrifices.

So, in my generic world, gods decided to kill anybody, trying to exceed lvl 20.

Since gods have a complete hard** for Balance between good, evil and neutral, not much may change here. So I wonder - is it even possible to make an interesting lvl 20 campaign in such a world? Or is there a way for a in-world mortal to crack such a setting?

Dragonlance had almost exactly this rule (well, 18th level was mortal max.). Anyone who tried to exceed the level cap was stamped on hard by the pantheon of neglectful/abusive cosmic {Scrubbed}

Grumman
2010-01-18, 06:08 AM
In a world of epic lvls there are no gods. So, in my generic world, gods decided to kill anybody, trying to exceed lvl 20.
IMO, you'd be better off just ruling that anyone above 20th level bases their strength in a particular field on the best 20 levels of advancement for that field. So a Warblade 20 / Wizard 10 / Rogue 10 has the hit points of a level 20 Warblade, the wizard spellcasting of a level 10 Wizard and the skill points of a level 10 Warblade / 10 Rogue.

Since gods have a complete hard** for Balance between good, evil and neutral, not much may change here.
There is no such thing as balance between good, evil and neutral. It's like looking at the world and deciding it doesn't have enough Hitlers.

So I wonder - is it even possible to make an interesting lvl 20 campaign in such a world?
Well I don't find it interesting. It only works if the pantheon is dominated by evil gods and even then, you're left with a campaign setting where the forces of evil are expected to gank you and go back to the status quo.

Demented
2010-01-18, 06:23 AM
Smiting is not the only option. You could 'promote' them.

I remember someone mentioning running a campaign where the epic level characters were put into stasis for later use and ended up being summoned into a subsequent campaign as a form of deific reinforcements for the final battle.

There is no such thing as balance between good, evil and neutral. It's like looking at the world and deciding it doesn't have enough {scrub scrubby scrub-a-dub}.
Seems plausible enough in the right setting.
I.e.
The orcs are getting a bit overdue for a champion to unite them in another bloody war to set the other civilizations back by twenty years, so their deity, getting a little worried, improvises. Of course, then the actual champion shows up and things tip a bit overmuch and suddenly we need some PCs to restore balance!

Grumman
2010-01-18, 06:46 AM
Seems plausible enough in the right setting.
I.e.
The orcs are getting a bit overdue for a champion to unite them in another bloody war to set the other civilizations back by twenty years, so their deity, getting a little worried, improvises. Of course, then the actual champion shows up and things tip a bit overmuch and suddenly we need some PCs to restore balance!
Neither side is actually working towards the goal of "Balance". If they were, it would imply that the orcish deity would rather fight to a standstill than to win (to maintain "Balance"), and that if the orcish deity had not acted the PCs would have decided to knock civilisation down a peg or two themselves (again, to maintain "Balance").

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-18, 06:50 AM
The god stats in Deities and Demigods are designed with the assumption that 20 is the level cap. Though I question your means of enforcing this, your actions allow those stats to be used once more. Sort of.

potatocubed
2010-01-18, 06:59 AM
As I recall, back in AD&D the witch-queen of the githyanki routinely executed any of her race who gained or exceeded 16th level in case they became a threat to her power. So you've got some precedent, at least.

According to my Basic D&D Rules Cyclopedia, any character who hits level 20 in that setting (Mystara, I think?) goes on an epic quest (and I mean properly epic in the real sense of the word) and becomes a god. So that's another option.

Cyclocone
2010-01-18, 07:27 AM
Since gods have a complete hard** for Balance between good, evil and neutral, not much may change here.

There is no such thing as balance between good, evil and neutral. It's like looking at the world and deciding it doesn't have enough Hitlers.

Like bosssmiley said, this is exactly how Dragonlance works; take that as you will.:smallsigh:

Adamaro
2010-01-18, 07:31 AM

Well I don't find it interesting. It only works if the pantheon is dominated by evil gods and even then, you're left with a campaign setting where the forces of evil are expected to gank you and go back to the status quo.
Very interesting. No balance? Hmmm. But Disbalance means that gods go to war and every war ends with some dead ... gods? So we can have a completely eveil panheon or completely good?

Grumman
2010-01-18, 07:41 AM
Very interesting. No balance? Hmmm. But Disbalance means that gods go to war and every war ends with some dead ... gods? So we can have a completely eveil panheon or completely good?
There's a difference between having a stalemate - where multiple factions cannot make any further headway against their enemies - and your "complete hard** for Balance". You cannot both be Good and feel that the existence of Evil is inherently desirable.

That is why I said your setting only works with an overwhelmingly Evil pantheon - because any god sufficiently powerful to have any say in the matter cannot support the murder of innocent people just because they are powerful and still be Good.

hamishspence
2010-01-18, 08:46 AM
Neutral characters like Mordenkainen take a "balance is vital" attitude to the extent of actively trying to weaken Good when it is "too powerful"

It is possible some Neutral deities do the same thing.

Eloel
2010-01-18, 09:01 AM
There are 2 ways you can go about balancing the forces.

1- War. All sides have a similar amount of power, so through constant war, Good & Neutral & Evil are in a balace, with Neutral helping whoever is weaker.

2- Neutral-dominated. Neutral gods are the most crowded/poweful population, thus the Good and Evil deities are kept in check, unable to go to war with fear of being smited by the Neutrals. This doesn't balance Neutral into the equation, though really, Neutral is 'the' balance.

Grumman
2010-01-18, 09:24 AM
Neutral characters like Mordenkainen take a "balance is vital" attitude to the extent of actively trying to weaken Good when it is "too powerful"

It is possible some Neutral deities do the same thing.
I'd argue that this just demonstrates that Adamaro isn't the first one to have come up with this idea without putting enough thought into it. You can have too much Law or Chaos, or too much Evil, but the only thing too much Good does is prevent you from benefiting from the suffering of others.

hamishspence
2010-01-18, 10:16 AM
The Kingpriest in Dragonlance may be another example of "good getting out of control"- the suggestion that when good gets too much power it becomes aggressive and dangerous.

KellKheraptis
2010-01-18, 10:26 AM
Bear in mind also that at level 20, a wizard (with proper selection of spells and feats, and a little DCFS) can easily access epic spellcasting, which in effect makes them deities in their own right (literally if they do their homework on that epic spell first). Share with party~>party of gods~>continue without cap~>???~>profit! Just my two pp.

weenie
2010-01-18, 10:27 AM
Well, this scenario does create a few other questions:

-How strong are the gods? If they actually fear really powerful mortals, then they shouldn't be invincible themselves.
-Are people aware of the fact, that the gods are intentionally killing off those who obtain too much power? Because in this case high level adventurers might be willing to join their forces together in order to fight off the godly assasins once one of them reaches epic levels.
-How do the gods know when a mortal gets into epic levels?
-Do the gods have any struggles between them? An epic level character might be a threat to some gods, but an asset to others, so some gods might be willing to give epic level mortals some form of protection in exchange for a pledge of allegiance. If the mortal in question is a cleric that has devoted all of his life to the service of a god, this scenario gets even more plausible.

If the gods really have a reason to fear mortals, they could probably also have uses for them, so instead of outright killing them when they reach epic levels, they could just get more involved. As for the balance between good and evil etc. even if one side wins(or if neutral wipes them all out) disputes are going to emerge, and new wars are going to break out between those who were once allied, if there's even a bit of human left inside the gods.

Zom B
2010-01-18, 10:53 AM
This reminds me of something for which I didn't want to start a new thread, but it was a game world a DM shifted our characters into. Up till that point, we had been playing in an all-evil party going about normal adventures (well, as normal as an adventure can go slaying angels and good dragons), and once we achieved a certain level of power we were sucked into another plane/reality.

Here, an over-god (The Ao to this realm's pantheon) made us the offer that we could become gods over his plane. We accepted, and then found out that there were already gods in existence in this plane. In fact, a lot of them. Turns out the over-god likes to bring in outsiders, give them divine rank, and let them duke it out in a free-for-all with the existing gods for control over portfolios and followers.

As a result, the people that inhabited this world were thoroughly unimpressed with our attempts to gain them as followers, because they'd seen an unending march of new gods trying to win them over that they'd just stopped caring. We had to undergo quests, except instead of experience we gained "followers", which levelled up our divine rank. It was one of the more fun campaigns I'd ever played in.

dragonfan6490
2010-01-18, 10:55 AM
Bear in mind also that at level 20, a wizard (with proper selection of spells and feats, and a little DCFS) can easily access epic spellcasting, which in effect makes them deities in their own right (literally if they do their homework on that epic spell first). Share with party~>party of gods~>continue without cap~>???~>profit! Just my two pp.

Don't spellcasters have to take the Epic Spellcasting Feat, which requires 24 ranks in Spellcraft and either Knowledge (Arcana, Religion, or Nature)? Thus, one would have to be level 21 to access Epic Spellcasting.

Eldariel
2010-01-18, 11:01 AM
Aye. Level 20 Wizard might be a threat to a God, especially with sufficient planning, but it's really the epic levels where the ability to truly defeat a God starts to be born, and that's provided you pull out a bunch of stops. To reach the point naturally though takes another dozen levels; there is a number of powers that are extremely difficult to deal with from SLAs and you need extreme amounts of extremely high-level high-powered magic to truly challenge deities.

Cyclocone
2010-01-18, 11:05 AM
Don't spellcasters have to take the Epic Spellcasting Feat, which requires 24 ranks in Spellcraft and either Knowledge (Arcana, Religion, or Nature)? Thus, one would have to be level 21 to access Epic Spellcasting.

There are some workarounds. Now, I'm not super up-to-date on TO, but this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19977077/Epic_Casting_at_level_6__Tremble_before_my_Hellbal l__New_nonPunPun_record&post_num=4) is the newest one I can recall seeing.

And that's assuming you don't just pump your CL like crazy and Gate in an Elder Titan.

Optimystik
2010-01-18, 11:06 AM
In a world of epic lvls there are no gods. So, in my generic world, gods decided to kill anybody, trying to exceed lvl 20. (or make sure such a child never even exists/is interested in girls instead of books/ becomes a drunk and not an aspriratious wizard ...). But that may spell pure boredom for all lvl 20 wizards.

Easy. Gods trying to sponsor mortals to epic, and either (a) overthrow their rivals or (b) preserve the status quo.

Forgotten Realms is built around this, via the "Chosen of X."

KellKheraptis
2010-01-18, 11:13 AM

Enter the Dusk Giant, and a healthy appetite ;)

Heliomance
2010-01-18, 12:16 PM
There's a difference between having a stalemate - where multiple factions cannot make any further headway against their enemies - and your "complete hard** for Balance". You cannot both be Good and feel that the existence of Evil is inherently desirable.

That is why I said your setting only works with an overwhelmingly Evil pantheon - because any god sufficiently powerful to have any say in the matter cannot support the murder of innocent people just because they are powerful and still be Good.

Actually, they can, depending on the cosmology. If good and evil are objective and distinct real forces, as they are in D&D, then it's entirely possible that the god gods will promote evil if needs be, because it's better than the alternative - good gets a significant advantage over evil, the balance shifts, and the resulting imbalance of power tears the entirety of reality apart. Naturally, this isn't a concern in most settings, but it's not inconsistent with a fantasy world.

grautry
2010-01-18, 12:35 PM
First of all, how do you actually define lvl 20 characters?

Does it mean twenty class levels? If yes then this has some interesting implications. It means that mortals can't really stand up to, say, outsider/dragon threats who've done some leveling themselves as they're working of a better 'base'.

This might be good thematically if you're going for an epic version of E6. It means that there are some non-divine threats that no mortal can face alone(at least in theory, optimization will likely prove otherwise).

Does it mean ECL twenty? If so, you don't really have anything that has high level adjustment in your game as gods keep killing the monsters. That means that a lot of interesting monsters will be missing.

jiriku
2010-01-18, 12:57 PM
So if I understand the OP correctly, you're seeking to build a campaign in which level 20 characters adventure and do stuff, but don't level up.

Sure, that works. Instead rewarding them with experience, just give them money, power, and women.

Adamaro
2010-01-19, 04:53 AM
So if I understand the OP correctly, you're seeking to build a campaign in which level 20 characters adventure and do stuff, but don't level up.

Sure, that works. Instead rewarding them with experience, just give them money, power, and women.

Lol :-D

BTW: I read a lot about gods here and there, but I have found NO! statistics for them. Anywhere! So, where can one familiarize himself with these gods and their abilities?

hamishspence
2010-01-19, 04:55 AM
Deities & Demigods (Core/Greyhawk), Faiths & Pantheons (Faerun).

olentu
2010-01-19, 04:56 AM
Lol :-D

BTW: I read a lot about gods here and there, but I have found NO! statistics for them. Anywhere! So, where can one familiarize himself with these gods and their abilities?

Deities and demigods.

hamishspence
2010-01-19, 04:59 AM
Call of Cthulhu d20 has stats for the Cthulhu entities (not exactly gods, but can grant spells and have worshippers, and salient divine abilities)

I think they were in a very early (1st ed?) Deities and Demigods as well, but got taken out for later editions of D&D.

Adamaro
2010-01-20, 04:40 AM
I'm silly. COuld this count as a god? Or are those even stronger?

Ghost Dragon, Red (Great Wyrm), Barbarian 20, Fighter 20, Wizard 20, Druid 20, Rogue 20, Monk 20, Ranger 20 CR 198
Always Lawful Evil Colossal Undead
Init +0
AC 69 FF 69 Touch 24
(-8 size, +45 natural , +10 deflection , +8 Wis , +4 misc)
HD: 240
HP: 1280 (100d12+0, 20d12+0, 20d10+0, 20d4+0, 20d8+0, 20d6+0, 20d8+0, 20d8+0)
Fort +124 Ref +112 Will +120
Speed 40ft, fly 200ft(clumsy)
Base Atk +215 Grp +248
Attack: Draining Touch (drains one ability score) +207 1d4+0
Attack: Corrupting Touch +207 1d6+0
Special Attack - Breath Weapon: 70ft cone of fire: 24d10+0
Attack: Tail Sweep (see special ability) +224 2d8+25
Attack: Bite +224 4d8+17
Attack: Tail Slap +224 4d6+25
Grapple Attack: Crush (see special ability) +248 4d8+25
Full Attack: Bite +224 4d8+17, 2 Claws +219 4d6+8, 2 Wings +219 2d8+8, Tail Slap +219 4d6+25
Full Attack: Flurry of Blows +224/+224/+224/+219/+214/+209/+204/+199/+194/+189/+184/+179/+174/+169/+164/+159/+154/+149/+144/+139/+134/+129/+124/+119/+114/+109/+104/+99/+94/+89/+84/+79/+74/+69/+64/+59/+54/+49/+44/+39/+34/+29/+24/+19/+14 10d8+17
Space 30 ft. (6 squares) Reach 20 ft. (4 squares)
Abilities Str 45(+17) Dex 10(+0) Con -- Int 26(+8) Wis 27(+8) Cha 30(+10)
Stat Points Gained From Advancement: 50
Total Feats: 81 + 3Bonus feat
Feats: Stunning Fist, Combat Reflexes, Improved Disarm
Skill Points: 3162
Skills: Appraise+95.0, Balance+87.0, Bluff+97.0, Climb+104.0, Concentration+87.0, Craft (Armorsmithing) +95.0, Decipher Script+95.0, Diplomacy+97.0, Disable Device+95.0, Disguise+97.0, Escape Artist+87.0, Forgery+95.0, Gather Information+97.0, Handle Animal+97.0, Heal+95.0, Hide+87.0, Intimidate+97.0, Jump+104.0, Knowledge (Arcana) +95.0, Knowledge (Nature) +95.0, Listen+95.0, Move Silently+87.0, Open Lock+87.0, Perform (Comedy) +97.0, Profession+95.0, Ride+87.0, Search+95.0, Sense Motive+95.0, Sleight of Hand+87.0, Spellcraft+95.0, Spot+95.0, Survival+95.0, Swim+104.0, Tumble+87.0, Use Magic Device+97.0, Use Rope+87.0
Breath Weapon: 70ft Cone of fire(Su): Reflex save DC 60(+50 HD, +0 Racial, +0 Con, +0 Feat) take 1/2 damage
A Red Great Wyrm's breath weapon deals 24d10 damage. Using a breath weapon is a standard action. Once a dragon breathes, it can't breathe again until 1d4 rounds later. If a dragon has more than one type of breath weapon, it still can breathe only once every 1d4 rounds. A blast from a breath weapon always starts at any intersection adjacent to the dragon and extends in a direction of the dragon's choice.
Crush(Ex): Reflex save DC 60(+50 HD, +0 Racial, +0 Con, +0 Feat) avoids being pinned
This special attack allows a flying or jumping dragon of at least Huge size to land on opponents as a standard action, using its whole body to crush them. Crush attacks are effective only against opponents three or more size categories smaller than the dragon (though it can attempt normal overrun or grapple attacks against larger opponents).
Tail Sweep(Ex): Reflex save DC 60(+50 HD, +0 Racial, +0 Con, +0 Feat) save for 1/2 damage
This special attack allows a dragon to sweep with its tail as a standard action. The sweep affects a half-circle with a radius of 40 feet, extending from an intersection on the edge of the dragon's space in any direction. Creatures within the swept area are affected if they are four or more size categories smaller than the dragon. A tail sweep automatically deals the indicated damage plus 1� times the dragon's Strength bonus (round down). Affected creatures can attempt Reflex saves to take half damage (DC equal to that of the dragon's breath weapon).
Spell Resistance(Su): 32
Frightful Presence(Ex): Will save DC 70(+50 HD, +0 Racial, +10 Cha, +0 Feat) avoids for 24 hours.
A dragon can unsettle foes with its mere presence. The ability takes effect automatically whenever the dragon attacks, charges, or flies overhead. Creatures within a radius of 360 feet are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the dragon. On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Dragons ignore the frightful presence of other dragons.
Damage Reduction(Su): 20/magic
Spells(Su): Casts spells as a 19th level sorcerer.
Suggestion(Sp): Will save DC 23(+3 Spell Level, +10 Cha) avoids
3/day as per the spell (CL6)
Special Attacks(Su): A ghost gains one to three other special attacks. If they had been selected randomly this ghost would have received the follow 3 power(s): Malevolence, Horrific Appearance and Telekinesis
Manifestation(Su): Every ghost has this ability. A ghost dwells on the Ethereal Plane and, as an ethereal creature, it cannot affect or be affected by anything in the material world. When a ghost manifests, it partly enters the Material Plane and becomes visible but incorporeal on the Material Plane. A manifested ghost can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons, or spells, with a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source. A manifested ghost can pass through solid objects at will, and its own attacks pass through armor. A manifested ghost always moves silently. A manifested ghost can strike with its touch attack or with a ghost touch weapon (see Ghostly Equipment, below). A manifested ghost remains partially on the Ethereal Plane, where is it not incorporeal. A manifested ghost can be attacked by opponents on either the Material Plane or the Ethereal Plane. The ghost's incorporeality helps protect it from foes on the Material Plane, but not from foes on the Ethereal Plane. When a spellcasting ghost is not manifested and is on the Ethereal Plane, its spells cannot affect targets on the Material Plane, but they work normally against ethereal targets. When a spellcasting ghost manifests, its spells continue to affect ethereal targets and can affect targets on the Material Plane normally unless the spells rely on touch. A manifested ghost's touch spells don't work on nonethereal targets. A ghost has two home planes, the Material Plane and the Ethereal Plane. It is not considered extraplanar when on either of these planes.

Ghostly Equipment: When a ghost forms, all its equipment and carried items usually become ethereal along with it. In addition, the ghost retains 2d4 items that it particularly valued in life (provided they are not in another creature's possession). The equipment works normally on the Ethereal Plane but passes harmlessly through material objects or creatures. A weapon of +1 or better magical enhancement, however, can harm material creatures when the ghost manifests, but any such attack has a 50% chance to fail unless the weapon is a ghost touch weapon (just as magic weapons can fail to harm the ghost). The original material items remain behind, just as the ghost's physical remains do. If another creature seizes the original, the ethereal copy fades away. This loss invariably angers the ghost, who stops at nothing to return the item to its original resting place.
Rejuvenation(Su): In most cases, it's difficult to destroy a ghost through simple combat: The "destroyed" spirit will often restore itself in 2d4 days. Even the most powerful spells are usually only temporary solutions. A ghost that would otherwise be destroyed returns to its old haunts with a successful level check 1d20 + ghost's HD against DC 16. As a rule, the only way to get rid of a ghost for sure is to determine the reason for its existence and set right whatever prevents it from resting in peace. The exact means varies with each spirit and may require a good deal of research.
Turn Resistance(Ex): A ghost has +4 turn resistance.
Corrupting Gaze(Su): Fortitude save DC 70(+50 HD, +0 Racial, +10 Cha, +0 Feat)
A ghost can blast living beings with a glance, at a range of up to 30 feet. Creatures that meet the ghost's gaze must succeed on a Fortitude save or take 2d10 points of damage and 1d4 points of Charisma damage.
Corrupting Touch(Su): A ghost that hits a living target with its incorporeal touch attack deals 1d6 points of damage. Against ethereal opponents, it adds its Strength modifier to attack and damage rolls. Against nonethereal opponents, it adds its Dexterity modifier to attack rolls only.
Draining Touch(Su): A ghost that hits a living target with its incorporeal touch attack drains 1d4 points from any one ability score it selects. On each such successful attack, the ghost heals 5 points of damage to itself. Against ethereal opponents, it adds its Strength modifier to attack rolls only. Against nonethereal opponents, it adds its Dexterity modifier to attack rolls only.
Frightful Moan(Su): Will save DC 70(+50 HD, +0 Racial, +10 Cha, +0 Feat)
A ghost can emit a frightful moan as a standard action. All living creatures within a 30-foot spread must succeed on a Will save or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic necromantic mind-affecting fear effect. A creature that successfully saves against the moan cannot be affected by the same ghost's moan for 24 hours.
Horrific Appearance(Su): Fortitude save DC 70(+50 HD, +0 Racial, +10 Cha, +0 Feat)
Any living creature within 60 feet that views a ghost must succeed on a Fortitude save or immediately take 1d4 points of Strength damage, 1d4 points of Dexterity damage, and 1d4 points of Constitution damage. A creature that successfully saves against this effect cannot be affected by the same ghost's horrific appearance for 24 hours.
Malevolence(Su): Will save DC 25(15 + +0 Racial, +10 Cha, +0 Feat)
Once per round, an ethereal ghost can merge its body with a creature on the Material Plane. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or equal to the creature's HD whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the ghost must be manifested and it must try move into the target's space; moving into the target's space to use the malevolence ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save. A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same ghost's malevolence for 24 hours, and the ghost cannot enter the target's space. If the save fails, the ghost vanishes into the target's body.
Telekinesis(Su): Fortitude save DC 70(+50 HD, +0 Racial, +10 Cha, +0 Feat)
A ghost can use telekinesis as a standard action (caster level 12th or equal to the creature's HD whichever is higher). When a ghost uses this power, it must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.
Fast movement(Ex): A barbarian's land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian's speed because of any load carried or armor worn.
Illiteracy(Ex): Barbarians are the only characters who do not automatically know how to read and write. A barbarian may spend 2 skill points to gain the ability to read and write all languages he is able to speak. A barbarian who gains a level in any other class automatically gains literacy. Any other character who gains a barbarian level does not lose the literacy he or she already had.
Rage(Ex): A barbarian can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day.
Level Uses/day
1 1
4 2
8 3
12 4
16 5
20 6
In a rage, a barbarian temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the barbarian's hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character's (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A barbarian may prematurely end his rage. At the end of the rage, the barbarian loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, can't charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter (unless he is a 17th-level barbarian, at which point this limitation no longer applies; see below). A barbarian can fly into a rage only once per encounter. At 1st level he can use his rage ability once per day. At 4th level and every four levels thereafter, he can use it one additional time per day (to a maximum of six times per day at 20th level). Entering a rage takes no time itself, but a barbarian can do it only during his action, not in response to someone else's action.
Uncanny Dodge(Ex): At 2nd level, a barbarian retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a barbarian already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.
Trap Sense(Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a barbarian gains a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise by +1 every three barbarian levels thereafter (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level). Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.
Improved Uncanny Dodge(Ex): At 5th level and higher, a barbarian can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the barbarian by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has barbarian levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.
Damage Reduction(Ex): 1/-
Greater Rage(Ex): At 11th level, a barbarian's bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his rage each increase to +6, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +3. The penalty to AC remains at -2.
Indomitable Will(Ex): While in a rage, a barbarian of 14th level or higher gains a +4 bonus on Will saves to resist enchantment spells. This bonus stacks with all other modifiers, including the morale bonus on Will saves he also receives during his rage.
Tireless Rage(Ex): At 17th level and higher, a barbarian no longer becomes fatigued at the end of his rage.
Mighty Rage(Ex): At 20th level, a barbarian's bonuses to Strength and Constitution during his rage each increase to +8, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +4. The penalty to AC remains at -2.
Fighter Bonus Feat(Ex): Gains fighter bonus feat at 1st level and at every even numbered Fighter level.
Scribe Scroll(Ex): At 1st level, a wizard gains Scribe Scroll as a bonus feat.
Summon Familiar(Ex): A wizard can obtain a familiar. Doing so takes 24 hours and uses up magical materials that cost 100 gp. A familiar is a magical beast that resembles a small animal and is unusually tough and intelligent. The creature serves as a companion and servant. The wizard chooses the kind of familiar he gets. As the wizard advances in level, his familiar also increases in power. If the familiar dies or is dismissed by the wizard, the wizard must attempt a DC 15 Fortitude saving throw. Failure means he loses 200 experience points per wizard level; success reduces the loss to one-half that amount. However, a wizard's experience point total can never go below 0 as the result of a familiar's demise or dismissal. A slain or dismissed familiar cannot be replaced for a year and day. A slain familiar can be raised from the dead just as a character can be, and it does not lose a level or a Constitution point when this happy event occurs. A character with more than one class that grants a familiar may have only one familiar at a time.
Bonus Feat(Ex): At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level, a wizard gains a bonus feat. At each such opportunity, she can choose a metamagic feat, an item creation feat, or Spell Mastery. The wizard must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including caster level minimums. These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets from advancing levels. The wizard is not limited to the categories of item creation feats, metamagic feats, or Spell Mastery when choosing these feats.
Animal Companion(Ex): A druid may begin play with an animal companion selected from the following list: badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium viper), or wolf. If the campaign takes place wholly or partly in an aquatic environment, the following creatures are also available: crocodile, porpoise, Medium shark, and squid. This animal is a loyal companion that accompanies the druid on her adventures as appropriate for its kind. A 1st-level druid's companion is completely typical for its kind except as noted below. As a druid advances in level, the animal's power increases as shown on the table. If a druid releases her companion from service, she may gain a new one by performing a ceremony requiring 24 uninterrupted hours of prayer. This ceremony can also replace an animal companion that has perished. A druid of 4th level or higher may select from alternative lists of animals. Should she select an animal companion from one of these alternative lists, the creature gains abilities as if the character's druid level were lower than it actually is. Subtract the value indicated in the appropriate list header from the character's druid level and compare the result with the druid level entry on the table to determine the animal companion's powers. (If this adjustment would reduce the druid's effective level to 0 or lower, she can't have that animal as a companion.)
Class Level Bonus HD Natural Armor Adj. Str/Dex Adj. Bonus Tricks Special
1st-2nd +0 +0 +0 1 Link, share spells
3rd-5th +2 +2 +1 2 Evasion
6th-8th +4 +4 +2 3 Devotion
9th-11th +6 +6 +3 4 Multiattack
12th-14th +8 +8 +4 5 �
15th-17th +10 +10 +5 6 Improved evasion
18th-20th +12 +12 +6 7 �

Bonus Languages(Ex): A druid's bonus language options include Sylvan, the language of woodland creatures. This choice is in addition to the bonus languages available to the character because of her race. A druid also knows Druidic, a secret language known only to druids, which she learns upon becoming a 1st-level druid. Druidic is a free language for a druid; that is, she knows it in addition to her regular allotment of languages and it doesn't take up a language slot. Druids are forbidden to teach this language to nondruids. Druidic has its own alphabet.
Nature Sense(Ex): A druid gains a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) and Survival checks.
Spontaneous Casting(Su): A druid can channel stored spell energy into summoning spells that she hasn't prepared ahead of time. She can �lose� a prepared spell in order to cast any summon nature's ally spell of the same level or lower. Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells: A druid can't cast spells of an alignment opposed to her own or her deity's (if she has one). Spells associated with particular alignments are indicated by the chaos, evil, good, and law descriptors in their spell descriptions.
Wild Empathy(Ex): A druid can improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person. The druid rolls 1d20 and adds her druid level and her Charisma modifier to determine the wild empathy check result. The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly. To use wild empathy, the druid and the animal must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time. A druid can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, but she takes a -4 penalty on the check.
Woodland Stride(Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a druid may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect her.
Trackless step(Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a druid leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. She may choose to leave a trail if so desired.
Resist nature's lure(Ex): Starting at 4th level, a druid gains a +4 bonus on saving throws against the spell-like abilities of fey.
Wild Shape(Su): At 5th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium animal and back again once per day. Her options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type. This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here. The effect lasts for 1 hour per druid level, or until she changes back. Changing form (to animal or back) is a standard action and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity. Each time you use wild shape, you regain hit points as if you had rested for a night. Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When the druid reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the druid's feet. The form chosen must be that of an animal the druid is familiar with. A druid loses her ability to speak while in animal form because she is limited to the sounds that a normal, untrained animal can make, but she can communicate normally with other animals of the same general grouping as her new form. (The normal sound a wild parrot makes is a squawk, so changing to this form does not permit speech.) A druid can use this ability more times per day at 6th, 7th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level, as noted on Table: The Druid. In addition, she gains the ability to take the shape of a Large animal at 8th level, a Tiny animal at 11th level, and a Huge animal at 15th level. The new form's Hit Dice can't exceed the character's druid level. At 12th level, a druid becomes able to use wild shape to change into a plant creature with the same size restrictions as for animal forms. (A druid can't use this ability to take the form of a plant that isn't a creature.) At 16th level, a druid becomes able to use wild shape to change into a Small, Medium, or Large elemental (air, earth, fire, or water) once per day. These elemental forms are in addition to her normal wild shape usage. In addition to the normal effects of wild shape, the druid gains all the elemental's extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities. She also gains the elemental's feats for as long as she maintains the wild shape, but she retains her own creature type. At 18th level, a druid becomes able to assume elemental form twice per day, and at 20th level she can do so three times per day. At 20th level, a druid may use this wild shape ability to change into a Huge elemental.
Venom Immunity(Ex): At 9th level, a druid gains immunity to all poisons.
A Thousand Faces(Su): At 13th level, a druid gains the ability to change her appearance at will, as if using the disguise self spell, but only while in her normal form. This affects the druid's body but not her possessions. It is not an illusory effect, but a minor physical alteration of the druid's appearance, within the limits described for the spell.
Timeless Body(Ex): After attaining 15th level, a druid no longer takes ability score penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any penalties she may have already incurred, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the druid still dies of old age when her time is up.
Sneak Attack(Ex): +((HD+1)/2)d6 damage while sneak attacking. If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage. The rogue's attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet. With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty. A rogue can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies-undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.
Evasion(Ex): At 2nd level and higher, a rogue can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Uncanny Dodge(Ex): Starting at 4th level, a rogue can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
Trap Sense(Ex): At 3rd level, a rogue gains an intuitive sense that alerts her to danger from traps, giving her a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise to +2 when the rogue reaches 6th level, to +3 when she reaches 9th level, to +4 when she reaches 12th level, to +5 at 15th, and to +6 at 18th level.
Improved Uncanny Dodge(Ex): A rogue of 8th level or higher can no longer be flanked. This defense denies another rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target does. If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.
Special Ability(Ex): On attaining 10th level, and at every three levels thereafter (13th, 16th, and 19th), a rogue gains a special ability of her choice from among the following options.
Crippling Strike (Ex): A rogue with this ability can sneak attack opponents with such precision that her blows weaken and hamper them. An opponent damaged by one of her sneak attacks also takes 2 points of Strength damage. Ability points lost to damage return on their own at the rate of 1 point per day for each damaged ability.
Defensive Roll (Ex): The rogue can roll with a potentially lethal blow to take less damage from it than she otherwise would. Once per day, when she would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), the rogue can attempt to roll with the damage. To use this ability, the rogue must attempt a Reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If the save succeeds, she takes only half damage from the blow; if it fails, she takes full damage. She must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute her defensive roll-if she is denied her Dexterity bonus to AC, she can't use this ability. Since this effect would not normally allow a character to make a Reflex save for half damage, the rogue's evasion ability does not apply to the defensive roll.
Improved Evasion (Ex): This ability works like evasion, except that while the rogue still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth she henceforth takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.
Opportunist (Ex): Once per round, the rogue can make an attack of opportunity against an opponent who has just been struck for damage in melee by another character. This attack counts as the rogue's attack of opportunity for that round. Even a rogue with the Combat Reflexes feat can't use the opportunist ability more than once per round.
Skill Mastery: The rogue becomes so certain in the use of certain skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions. Upon gaining this ability, she selects a number of skills equal to 3 + her Intelligence modifier. When making a skill check with one of these skills, she may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so. A rogue may gain this special ability multiple times, selecting additional skills for it to apply to each time.
Slippery Mind (Ex): This ability represents the rogue's ability to wriggle free from magical effects that would otherwise control or compel her. If a rogue with slippery mind is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails her saving throw, she can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. She gets only this one extra chance to succeed on her saving throw.
Feat: A rogue may gain a bonus feat in place of a special ability.
AC Bonus(Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).
Bonus Feat(Ex): At 1st level, a monk may select either Improved Grapple or Stunning Fist as a bonus feat. At 2nd level, she may select either Combat Reflexes or Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat. At 6th level, she may select either Improved Disarm or Improved Trip as a bonus feat. A monk need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.
Flurry of Blows(Ex): When unarmored, a monk may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. The resulting modified base attack bonuses are shown in the Flurry of Blows Attack Bonus column on Table: The Monk. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the monk might make before her next action. When a monk reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to -1, and at 9th level it disappears. A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows. When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham). She may attack with unarmed strikes and special monk weapons interchangeably as desired. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a monk applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus x 1-1/2 or x 1/2) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The monk can't use any weapon other than a special monk weapon as part of a flurry of blows. In the case of the quarterstaff, each end counts as a separate weapon for the purpose of using the flurry of blows ability. Even though the quarterstaff requires two hands to use, a monk may still intersperse unarmed strikes with quarterstaff strikes, assuming that she has enough attacks in her flurry of blows routine to do so. When a monk reaches 11th level, her flurry of blows ability improves. In addition to the standard single extra attack she gets from flurry of blows, she gets a second extra attack at her full base attack bonus.
Unarmed Strike(Ex): At 1st level, a monk gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. A monk's attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes. Usually a monk's unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling. A monk's unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons. A monk also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would.
Evasion(Ex): At 2nd level or higher if a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Fast Movement(Ex): At 3rd level, a monk gains an enhancement bonus to her speed.
Level Speed Bonus
3 10ft
6 20ft
9 30ft
12 40ft
15 50ft
18 60ft
A monk in armor or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.
Still Mind(Ex): A monk of 3rd level or higher gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects from the school of enchantment.
Ki Strike(Su): At 4th level, a monk's unarmed attacks are empowered with ki. Her unarmed attacks are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. Ki strike improves with the character's monk level. At 10th level, her unarmed attacks are also treated as lawful weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. At 16th level, her unarmed attacks are treated as adamantine weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction and bypassing hardness.
Slow Fall(Ex): At 4th level or higher, a monk within arm's reach of a wall can use it to slow her descent. When first using this ability, she takes damage as if the fall were 20 feet shorter than it actually is. The monk's ability to slow her fall (that is, to reduce the effective distance of the fall when next to a wall) improves with her monk level until at 20th level she can use a nearby wall to slow her descent and fall any distance without harm.
Purity of Body(Ex): At 5th level, a monk gains immunity to all diseases except for supernatural and magical diseases.
Wholeness of Body(Ex): At 7th level or higher, a monk can heal her own wounds. She can heal a number of hit points of damage equal to twice her current monk level each day, and she can spread this healing out among several uses.
Improved Evasion(Ex): At 9th level, a monk's evasion ability improves. She still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.
Diamond Body(Ex): At 11th level, a monk gains immunity to poisons of all kinds.
Abundant Step(Ex): At 12th level or higher, a monk can slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door, once per day. Her caster level for this effect is one-half her monk level (rounded down).
Diamond Soul(Ex): At 13th level, a monk gains spell resistance equal to her current monk level + 10. In order to affect the monk with a spell, a spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the monk's spell resistance.
Quivering Palm(Ex): Starting at 15th level, a monk can set up vibrations within the body of another creature that can thereafter be fatal if the monk so desires. She can use this quivering palm attack once a week, and she must announce her intent before making her attack roll. Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be affected. Otherwise, if the monk strikes successfully and the target takes damage from the blow, the quivering palm attack succeeds. Thereafter the monk can try to slay the victim at any later time, as long as the attempt is made within a number of days equal to her monk level. To make such an attempt, the monk merely wills the target to die (a free action), and unless the target makes a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 the monk's level + the monk's Wis modifier), it dies. If the saving throw is successful, the target is no longer in danger from that particular quivering palm attack, but it may still be affected by another one at a later time.
Timeless Body(Ex): Upon attaining 17th level, a monk no longer takes penalties to her ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that she has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when her time is up.
Tongue of the Sun and Moon(Ex): A monk of 17th level or higher can speak with any living creature.
Empty Body(Ex): At 19th level, a monk gains the ability to assume an ethereal state for 1 round per monk level per day, as though using the spell etherealness. She may go ethereal on a number of different occasions during any single day, as long as the total number of rounds spent in an ethereal state does not exceed her monk level.
Perfect Self(Ex): At 20th level, a monk becomes a magical creature. She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk's creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the monk gains damage reduction 10/magic, which allows her to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonmagical weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn't have similar damage reduction. Unlike other outsiders, the monk can still be brought back from the dead as if she were a member of her previous creature type.
Favored Enemy(Ex): At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The ranger gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures. At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level), the ranger may select an additional favored enemy from those given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so desired) increases by 2. If the ranger chooses humanoids or outsiders as a favored enemy, he must also choose an associated subtype, as indicated on the table. If a specific creature falls into more than one category of favored enemy, the ranger's bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is higher.
Track(Ex): A ranger gains Track as a bonus feat.
Wild Empathy(Ex): A ranger can improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check to improve the attitude of a person. The ranger rolls 1d20 and adds his ranger level and his Charisma bonus to determine the wild empathy check result. The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly. To use wild empathy, the ranger and the animal must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal visibility conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute, but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time. The ranger can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, but he takes a -4 penalty on the check.
Combat Style(Ex): At 2nd level, a ranger must select one of two combat styles to pursue: archery or two-weapon combat. This choice affects the character's class features but does not restrict his selection of feats or special abilities in any way. If the ranger selects archery, he is treated as having the Rapid Shot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat. If the ranger selects two-weapon combat, he is treated as having the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat. The benefits of the ranger's chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.
Endurance(Ex): A ranger gains Endurance as a bonus feat at 3rd level.
Animal Companion(Ex): At 4th level, a ranger gains an animal companion selected from the following list: badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium viper), or wolf. If the campaign takes place wholly or partly in an aquatic environment, the following creatures may be added to the ranger's list of options: crocodile, porpoise, Medium shark, and squid. This animal is a loyal companion that accompanies the ranger on his adventures as appropriate for its kind. This ability functions like the druid ability of the same name, except that the ranger's effective druid level is one-half his ranger level. A ranger may select from the alternative lists of animal companions just as a druid can, though again his effective druid level is half his ranger level. Like a druid, a ranger cannot select an alternative animal if the choice would reduce his effective druid level below 1st.
Improved Combat Style(Ex): At 6th level, a ranger's aptitude in his chosen combat style (archery or two-weapon combat) improves. If he selected archery at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Manyshot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat. If the ranger selected two-weapon combat at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat. As before, the benefits of the ranger's chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.
Woodland Stride(Ex): Starting at 7th level, a ranger may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that are enchanted or magically manipulated to impede motion still affect him.
Swift Tracker(Ex): Beginning at 8th level, a ranger can move at his normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal -5 penalty. He takes only a -10 penalty (instead of the normal -20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking.
Evasion(Ex): At 9th level, a ranger can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the ranger is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless ranger does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Combat Style Mastery(Ex): At 11th level, a ranger's aptitude in his chosen combat style (archery or two-weapon combat) improves again. If he selected archery at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Improved Precise Shot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat. If the ranger selected two-weapon combat at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat. As before, the benefits of the ranger's chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.
Camouflage(Ex): A ranger of 13th level or higher can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even if the terrain doesn't grant cover or concealment.
Hide in plain sight(Ex): While in any sort of natural terrain, a ranger of 17th level or higher can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Wings of Peace
2010-01-20, 04:51 AM
I'm silly. COuld this count as a god? Or are those even stronger?

Death deity could kill it for sure with Salients. A few other domain gods could too but a proper death deity would have the easiest time.

Skaven
2010-01-20, 05:56 AM
Dragonlance had almost exactly this rule (well, 18th level was mortal max.). Anyone who tried to exceed the level cap was stamped on hard by the pantheon of neglectful/abusive cosmic {Scrubbed}

Actually, I thought it was just the settings level. It seems more like a DM (bad) call.

The Dragonlance campaign book said something along the lines of 'the setting is designed to challenge characters of 1-15ish, characters who pass this level should be taken elsewhere'.

It always irked me and made me think 'Hey Sherlock designer, maybe we're playing Dragonlance because we want to play Dragonlance and don't want to take our characters to another setting just because of an arbitrary metagame concept of level.'

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-20, 09:45 AM
Deities and demigods.

Never use these Stats, they suck hard. Moradin has 10 Levels of Expert for crying out loud.