PDA

View Full Version : Because it is delicious.

Yarram
2010-01-18, 06:26 AM
For nine months a year, I have to wait in pain of the most excruciating measure. This is because, for a mere three months a year, a particular product that I am addicted to is only sold at this stage.
This particular fruit is known in some circles as the hot crossed bun, and I eat entire six-packs of them raw within minutes of visiting the shopping center.
On that note, who's with me? How do you feast upon the delicious Easter treats, and who else has some sort of food that they wait for all year around, only to have it taken away once they have reeducated themselves to their taste?

Anuan
2010-01-18, 06:57 AM
For nine months a year, I have to wait in pain of the most excruciating measure. This is because, for a mere three months a year, a particular product that I am addicted to is only sold at this stage.
This particular fruit is known in some circles as the hot crossed bun, and I eat entire six-packs of them raw within minutes of visiting the shopping center.
On that note, who's with me? How do you feast upon the delicious Easter treats, and who else has some sort of food that they wait for all year around, only to have it taken away once they have reeducated themselves to their taste?

Me. EVERY EASTER. Also Christmas, cause FRUIT MINCE PIES OM NOM NOM. And then they're gone. And my heart doth break.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-18, 07:09 AM
Pumpkin Pie. I don't care what anyone says. Pumpkin is way better than apple (at least in pie and jack-o-lantern form). It's a shame people on serve it in the fall.

lesser_minion
2010-01-18, 08:32 AM
Apparently, hot-crossed buns aren't considered seasonal goods in the UK any more. I can't say I'm a fan of them.

I'd have to say homemade cupcakes. Nobody ever makes them except for special occasions, and nine times out of ten there aren't any left over.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-18, 09:04 AM
Oh, the ice cream truck. Yeah you can't eat it nut there is a certain joy in hearing the music and knowing the ice cream now comes to me.

Quincunx
2010-01-18, 09:29 AM
Y'all can bake these foods yourself at any time of year, barring seasonal hiccups in supply of raw materials (not a problem with mince and preserved pumpkins, but you can't get fresh pumpkin any time but fall) or problems with construction (Lenten cream buns melt in the heat--few things are sadder than melting whipped cream and the hat-like crust of the bun sliding from atop the cream).

Cadbury Creme Eggs used to be a seasonal treat, but here in a Cadbury chocolate zone they're sold year-round if you know where to ask. Candy corn has become a year-round product at candy shops.

cycoris
2010-01-18, 09:32 AM
Peppermint ice cream.
Gingerbread ice cream.
Pumpkin pie ice cream.

That is all. :smallcool:

Starscream
2010-01-18, 10:11 AM
I used to work at McDonalds, so I pretty much despise the food there.

But for one month out of the year: Shamrock Shakes! Must have! Melting mint ice cream just isn't the same.

Perenelle
2010-01-18, 10:20 AM
Pumpkin Pie. I don't care what anyone says. Pumpkin is way better than apple (at least in pie and jack-o-lantern form). It's a shame people on serve it in the fall.

I completely agree.
Pumpkin pie deserves to be served all year round! :smallbiggrin:

I like it cold, though I believe most people eat pumpkin pie warm.

blackfox
2010-01-18, 10:33 AM
STRAWBERRIES.
I love strawberries, and they're hardly ever around except between the months of May->August. So sad.

KuReshtin
2010-01-18, 10:36 AM
I want them to bring back the feature flavour roasted ducks legs they had at Morrison's a few years ago.
They were addicting, but only available for about a month.. I later heard that I was one of the very few people who actually bought them and bringing them back would be a longshot.:smallannoyed:

Totally Guy
2010-01-18, 11:10 AM
I didn't get my fix of Stollen bread this Christmas... :(

Oh wait, I did. But I should have bought more than one.

Trog
2010-01-18, 11:52 AM
I didn't get my fix of Stollen bread this Christmas... :(

Oh wait, I did. But I should have bought more than one.

Oooo, stollen. Stollen is good. :smallsmile:

As for Easter food I actually hate traditional easter candy. It has gotten better over the years though as the big name candy makers have converted their usual fare into holiday shapes. For most of my childhood it was basically sugar and carnuba wax and food coloring. Bleh! :smallyuk:

Zanaril
2010-01-18, 12:42 PM
Maybe you should try baking hot cross buns?

As for me, I crave anything with aniseed in it.

Gullara
2010-01-18, 12:44 PM
What are hot cross buns again. They sparks memories of pure deliciousness but I'm not sure

ghost_warlock
2010-01-18, 01:10 PM
I completely agree.
Pumpkin pie deserves to be served all year round! :smallbiggrin:

I like it cold, though I believe most people eat pumpkin pie warm.

Warm...cold - doesn't matter to me; I'll eat it either way.

Zanaril
2010-01-18, 03:38 PM
What are hot cross buns again. They sparks memories of pure deliciousness but I'm not sure

They're a kind of sweet bread: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_cross_bun

Syka
2010-01-18, 05:09 PM
Oh my...hot cross buns look delicious. I've never had one, though.

I think some of my favorite seasonal dishes are pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread (my soon-to-be brother-in-law's family makes us a loaf every year during Christmas time). One thing that isn't seasonal, but which I nonetheless don't get more than once a year, usually once every few years, is fresh made bread.

I don't mean any fresh made bread. I mean "Oh my God this is the best bread I have ever had in my life- ever!" fresh made bread. In St. Augustine, there is a place called the Spanish Bakery tucked behind a chocolate shop. The bread is incredible. I bought two loaves when I was up there this summer and we finished one before we'd left St. Augustine (there were 4 of us) and the other was gone within 2 days. And it's only like 2 or 3 bucks for a loaf. Their other food is good too (I had the empenada and cookie; my mom had the chili; Oz the sausage in a blanket....we all loved our food.) I'd've gotten more but past 2-3 days it doesn't taste the same...

Otherwise there aren't many seasonal things where I live. You can get fresh, usually in season fruit any time of the year (Yay Florida), and seafood is pretty much guarenteed here.

AshDesert
2010-01-18, 06:09 PM
I think some of my favorite seasonal dishes are pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread (my soon-to-be brother-in-law's family makes us a loaf every year during Christmas time).

I actually get pumpkin bread (well, a pumpkin muffins, but it's a recipe for bread) all year round:smallbiggrin:.

My personal favorite seasonal food definitely has to be eggnog:smallcool:. I love it with all my heart (home-made at least, store-bought stuff just tastes like thickened up sugar-milk, maybe with some nutmeg).

As for easter candy, the only type that I don't hate is jelly beans, and even then you can find those in most stores year-round.

Fridesgerte
2010-01-19, 12:38 AM
Mallomars, definitely Mallomars.

And I agree that pumpkin pie should be available year round. (Yes, I know I could bake one myself, but then I would have to eat a whole pie myself, which while tasty is not a good idea otherwise.)

Pika...
2010-01-19, 12:44 AM

Eggnog. For the last three or four years. Oh Sardior yes...

I drank entire CVS and Walmart brand ones a day. Expensive buggers, but hhhhmmmm...

Damn you OP! Now I want my eggnog back. :(

ps. Anyone have the opposite?

I myself dread Thanks Giving, for I am sooooooo sick of the demonic fowl known as Turkey. I can not bare to look at the meat now.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-01-19, 12:48 AM
Nobody mentioned Chocolate Cream Eggs? I love those things...they're one of the few eggs I'll eat.

Especially great is smashing them against something to crack them open and licking the creme out.

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-19, 02:13 AM
Nobody mentioned Chocolate Cream Eggs? I love those things...they're one of the few eggs I'll eat.

Especially great is smashing them against something to crack them open and licking the creme out.These would be the aforementioned Cadbury eggs, so, yes, they were mentioned. I can't stand them. Too rich.

And I don't suffer the turkey, either. This year we had ham and no one was disappointed.

Also, I wasn't aware that pumpkin pie was a seasonal treat. Of course, I don't go out buying it off season anyway, so maybe I just don't notice it not being there.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-19, 02:17 AM
Y'all can bake these foods yourself at any time of year, barring seasonal hiccups in supply of raw materials (not a problem with mince and preserved pumpkins, but you can't get fresh pumpkin any time but fall)

This year, the pumpkin crops were awful, and so pumpkin in any form, fresh or canned, was hard to come by.
I know this because I had to explain it a thousand times to guests wondering why we hadn't had any canned pumpkin in Target for three months, including the Holiday season.

Solaris
2010-01-19, 02:19 AM
Eggnog. For the last three or four years. Oh Sardior yes...

I drank entire CVS and Walmart brand ones a day. Expensive buggers, but hhhhmmmm...

Damn you OP! Now I want my eggnog back. :(

I'll second the love of eggnog and pretend I didn't see you besmirch the name of the Sacred Tasty Bird.

Alleine
2010-01-19, 02:26 AM
Cardamom bread. Ye gods, cardamom bread. We only have it during christmas, and apparently cardamom is super expensive too. But SOOOO GOOOD. OM NOM.

I love bread to begin with, but this stuff. Hoh. Plus icing on top, with some sugar sprinkles, and butter. Mmm, still warm so the butter melts fast. Ohhhhhh...

Lioness
2010-01-19, 05:15 AM
OP: Buy many many packets and freeze them. Then you can eat them throughout the year.

Temotei
2010-01-19, 05:18 AM
I used to work at McDonalds, so I pretty much despise the food there.

But for one month out of the year: Shamrock Shakes! Must have! Melting mint ice cream just isn't the same.

I've never partaken. Every year, I want to, and then...it's my stepbrother's birthday. So I decide to get him a gift and drive to his place instead.

Getting it on any other day just isn't right.

I've yet to partake.

Quincunx
2010-01-19, 05:22 AM
@/\: Cadbury Creme Eggs freeze well also. How you manage to hide them from yourself so that you forget and don't devour them while they're still in season. . .haven't figured that out yet.

This year, the pumpkin crops were awful, and so pumpkin in any form, fresh or canned, was hard to come by.
I know this because I had to explain it a thousand times to guests wondering why we hadn't had any canned pumpkin in Target for three months, including the Holiday season.

Horror and deprivation! I hadn't known! (I haven't seen canned pumpkin here yet at all, anywhere, so fell out of the habit of looking for it.)

Yarram
2010-01-21, 05:33 AM
Apparently, hot-crossed buns aren't considered seasonal goods in the UK any more. I can't say I'm a fan of them.

I'd have to say homemade cupcakes. Nobody ever makes them except for special occasions, and nine times out of ten there aren't any left over.
You... BLASPHEMER! :smallfurious:
MAY YOUR HAIR-TIES TURN INTO BICYCLE WHEELS!
MAY YOUR EYES STING FOR A LITTLE LONGER THAN EVERYONE ELSES WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE SUN!

Eh...Hem-hem... Moving on.
The problem with baking my own hot crossed buns is I'm not a professional baker, which means while my food would have a certain homeyness to it, it still don't taste as good as the shop-things. :smallbiggrin:
(Being too lazy to cook may also play a HUUUUGE role in it.)

Corlindale
2010-01-21, 06:29 AM
The blue M&M's. Not the actual blue ones, but the ones that come in blue bags and has crunchy stuff in the center. They are fantastic - and for some obscure reason they've completely stopped selling them in Denmark:smallfurious:
I usually buy a couple of bags whenever I'm in Germany, but that doesn't happen too frequently these days, and in any case they disappear all too soon...

Pocketa
2010-01-22, 12:40 AM
Oh, the ice cream truck. Yeah you can't eat it nut there is a certain joy in hearing the music and knowing the ice cream now comes to me.

This.

Except the cart, around the school but not on the campus, and they make you haggle.

The blue M&M's. Not the actual blue ones, but the ones that come in blue bags and has crunchy stuff in the center. They are fantastic - and for some obscure reason they've completely stopped selling them in Denmark:smallfurious:
I usually buy a couple of bags whenever I'm in Germany, but that doesn't happen too frequently these days, and in any case they disappear all too soon...

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/features_julieshealthclub/2009/07/can-blue-mms-cure-paralysis.html

Apparently the blue ones could be good for you.a