PDA

View Full Version : looking for a 5 level psion prestige class (3.5)

alisbin
2010-01-18, 10:06 AM
hey mates,
i'm doing some planning for my (human) psion/thrallherd and i haven't been able to decide on a prestige class to take for the last 5 levels.
currently my plan is; 5psion(telepath)/10thrallherd. i'm only taking telepathy and clairsentience powers for campaign fluff reasons so some options are out because i can't qualify for them. i know i could just plan for 5 more psion levels but that feels boring. i'd really like something that has a full manifester progression too since thrallherd is 8/10.

Eldariel
2010-01-18, 10:10 AM
Anarchic Initiate from Complete Psionics is pretty good.

Cyclocone
2010-01-18, 10:22 AM
Yeah, Anarchic Initiate is what you're looking for (Chaotic alignment required though).

Everything else loses ML ...Well, except for Arch-Psion ...Except Arch-Psion requires 3.0 feats and knowledge of powers from 3 disciplines. So yeah.

alisbin
2010-01-18, 10:28 AM
hmm anarchic wouldn't work since i'm TN currently and, assuming the campaign continues on its current course i'll probably end up more on the lawful end of the spectrum by lvl 15...
i suppose i could learn 1 or 2 low powers from another discipline once i get high level, there are a few that fit his fluff even though they aren't clairsentience or telepathy. or if i took practiced manifester i could handle taking a small hit to manifester level (3/5 max i suppose since i'm already going to be shy 2) if the extra abilities were particularly good.

Eloel
2010-01-18, 10:40 AM
Don't take too much hit on your ML, you still want 9th level powers.

Thiramon
2010-01-18, 11:48 AM
The Arch Psion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20021122b) +1

Greater psionic focus is perfect - granting +6 on your DCs and attempts to overcome power resistance. Cause you don't want your telepath powers to fail. :smallamused: Take a dip of at least three levels of that PrC for this.

dandwiki.com changes the 3.5 prerequesites to same powers, same skill focus but psionic meditation. That's easy to get. Otherwise, have your DM accept it with some metapsionic/psionic feats (say two or three).

You have to know some powers from other disciplines, but you should take some utility spells anyway.

Regards,

Thiramon

Optimystik
2010-01-18, 01:19 PM
You can lose up to 3 ML before you risk losing 9th level powers. Practiced Manifester and cognizance crystals will make up the gap. So don't worry too much about losing a level here and there - the features you gain from a good combination of PrCs should be enough to offset it.

Are you dead set on human? Kalashtar make amazing telepaths, and the bonus power points are another way to fill the dead level gap.

Nate the Snake
2010-01-18, 01:31 PM
Since you're going the telepath/thrallherd route, I recommend dipping into Mindbender (CArc) for telepathy. It's technically an arcane caster PrC, but the adaptation suggests converting it to psionics, which is so simple one wonders why it wasn't psionic to begin with.

Once you have telepathy, Mindsight (LoM) is almost obligatory. :smallwink:

alisbin
2010-01-18, 02:35 PM
i'm kinda stuck with human since the character is already in the campaign :) plus non core player races are REALLY rare and our group gets into enough trouble as it is.
i'll look into mindbender, my DM is pretty good about modifying classes if it fits fluff and isnt really overpowered.

sonofzeal
2010-01-18, 02:41 PM
Slayer's the default Psion PrC. Lose one ML, get a better chassis and some respectable class features. Nothing too exciting, but 9/10 ML progression is 9/10 ML progression, and it's a fair trade most of the time.

Draz74
2010-01-18, 04:41 PM
Slayer's the default Psion PrC. Lose one ML, get a better chassis and some respectable class features. Nothing too exciting, but 9/10 ML progression is 9/10 ML progression, and it's a fair trade most of the time.

Meh, the best class features don't come in the first five levels, though. And Track is an annoying prerequisite if you're not planning on it all along. And Level 15 is too late to start deciding to take advantage of Good BAB.

sonofzeal
2010-01-18, 04:45 PM
Meh, the best class features don't come in the first five levels, though. And Track is an annoying prerequisite if you're not planning on it all along. And Level 15 is too late to start deciding to take advantage of Good BAB.
Granted, all. Problem is that there's so few choices for psion PrCs that don't lose out heavily on ML. Straight Psion might be your best bet.

ironballs
2010-02-04, 04:14 AM
I got the exact same problem.

decided to go straight psion - since all the PrC are lame...

maybe take a few levels in Arch Psion - but that would be at level 15+ and I got long long time till then :)

Optimystik
2010-02-04, 09:14 AM
Actually, losing a manifester level (or even 2) is generally worth getting access the benefits of some PrCs out there, such as the Crystal Master, Constructor, Slayer, and a few of the ones in Hyperconscious as well.

Practiced Manifester can make up the gap if you really want to.