PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Swapping paragon class features

mage1337
2010-01-18, 11:24 AM
Hey playgrounders,

I'm wondering if there is any rules legal way in 4E dungeons and dragons to either:
(1) Swap a class feature from a paragon path for a class feature from another paragon path OR
(2) Advance in more than one paragon path simultaneously OR
3) Sacrifice feats, ability score increases, or some resource to learn a class feature of a paragon path not your own.

Why I'm asking:
I'm trying out a radiant damage Paladin build, and want to combine the Level 11 benefit from Student of Caiphon (Radiant powers crit on 18-20) with the level 16 benefit from Morning Lord (When you hit with a radiant power, the target gains vulnerability radiant 10). Obviously, this would be awesome.

Bonus question:
If there is no rules legal way to combine these two benefits, which one do you playgrounders feel is more powerful. Vulnerability, or critical range?

Bonus bonus question:
Know of any obscure and cool ways to add radiant damage to a build you'd like to share?

Kurald Galain
2010-01-18, 11:33 AM
(1) Swap a class feature from a paragon path for a class feature from another paragon path OR
I think there's an epic destiny that does that, and I think there's a bard paragon path (chameleon, iirc) that lets you borrow powers from other party members. But not feasibly, no.

(2) and (3) no. Paragon path powers are not meant to be combined, precisely to avoid such comboes as the one you mention. On the other hand, there are other ways to get increased crit range (e.g. jagged weapon) and other ways to give people vulnerabilities (e.g. a certain channel divinity from Divine Power).

If there is no rules legal way to combine these two benefits, which one do you playgrounders feel is more powerful. Vulnerability, or critical range?
I would go for vulnerability, because it lets other party members also do more damage, and it combines well with multiattacks and action points.

Know of any obscure and cool ways to add radiant damage to a build you'd like to share?
Radiant weapon, done.

Kylarra
2010-01-18, 11:43 AM
Power of the Sun domain feat gives vulnerability to radiant 3/5/8 until the end of your next turn when you hit with virtuous strike and to expand on what Kurald said, its companion channel divinity feat grants vulnerability 5 radiant as a minor action.

Edge of Dreams
2010-01-18, 01:21 PM
Power of the Sun domain feat gives vulnerability to radiant 3/5/8 until the end of your next turn when you hit with virtuous strike and to expand on what Kurald said, its companion channel divinity feat grants vulnerability 5 radiant as a minor action.

Careful with this one though... the channel divinity power states that the enemy "gains vulnerable 5 radiant" but does not say anything about a duration. Check with your DM as to whether this is going to be ruled as to-end-of-encounter (which is really powerful, imagine 5 clerics all using this and stacking it on one target) or to-end-of-next-turn or save ends or similar.

Theodoric
2010-01-18, 01:39 PM
Careful with this one though... the channel divinity power states that the enemy "gains vulnerable 5 radiant" but does not say anything about a duration. Check with your DM as to whether this is going to be ruled as to-end-of-encounter (which is really powerful, imagine 5 clerics all using this and stacking it on one target) or to-end-of-next-turn or save ends or similar.
This has actually been corrected in the errata, you know. :smallconfused:
it now lasts untill the end of the PC's next turn. linky (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updates)

Swordgleam
2010-01-18, 05:34 PM

I believe "gains vulnerable Y X" does not stack. The greatest vulnerability for X damage type applies. It would have to be "vulnerability to X increases by Y" in order for it to stack.

Kylarra
2010-01-18, 05:37 PM
I believe "gains vulnerable Y X" does not stack. The greatest vulnerability for X damage type applies. It would have to be "vulnerability to X increases by Y" in order for it to stack.
It does stack in this case.

Until the end of your next turn, each target gains
vulnerable 5 radiant, or its vulnerability to radiant damage
increases by 5.