PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cleric: Magic Domain

drevil
2010-01-18, 12:28 PM
I am making a lvl15 Cleric.

Magic Domain
Granted power:
Use scrolls, wands, and other devices with spell completion or spell trigger activation as a wizard of one-half your cleric level...

I have read the scroll rules in DMG. but I still have some questions:

1. Can I cast any spells from scrolls? Arcane and Divene?
Or do I have to be able to cast the spell on the normal way before I can cast it from scrolls?

2. What prevents other Clerics without the Magic Domain from casting spells from scrolls?

3. Is the Scribe Scroll feat required to Use Scroll ?

Zaydos
2010-01-18, 12:31 PM
1. You can use divine scrolls as any other cleric could, and arcane scrolls as a 7th level wizard could. This means you may run into trouble trying to use a scroll of wish or polymorph any object, but are fine using scrolls of polymorph, haste, etc.

2. You can only use a scroll if it is 1) the same type of spell (arcane or divine) as you cast and 2) on your class list. There are further limits on scroll use based on what your caster level is compared to that of the scroll. Use Magic Device can circumvent this.

3. You do not need to be able to scribe scrolls to use them.

KellKheraptis
2010-01-18, 12:34 PM
I am making a lvl15 Cleric.

Magic Domain
Granted power:
Use scrolls, wands, and other devices with spell completion or spell trigger activation as a wizard of one-half your cleric level...

I have read the scroll rules in DMG. but I still have some questions:

1. Can I cast any spells from scrolls? Arcane and Divene?
Or do I have to be able to cast the spell on the normal way before I can cast it from scrolls?

2. What prevents other Clerics without the Magic Domain from casting spells from scrolls?

3. Is the Scribe Scroll feat required to Use Scroll ?

1. You may cast from scrolls off the Cleric list, plus any specifics from your domains that might not be on the Cleric list, and also any scroll whose spell appears on the Sor/Wiz list.

2. The spells do not appear on the Cleric list, though see 3.

3. No, only the ability to cast spells off of the list in question. However, if the spell is not on your list (which includes the Sor/Wiz at half your Cleric level), you may attempt a UMD check (most likely a cross class skill).

Hope this helps!

drevil
2010-01-18, 12:45 PM
I see.

So with Magic Domain, a lvl15 Cleric is able to cast all arcane scrolls up to 4.th level arcane spells?

My lvl.15 Cleric have INT20 and maxed out spellcraft. He tries to cast a 7.th level arcane spell (Forcecage) made by a lvl.15 Wizard.

What happens?

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-18, 12:49 PM
My lvl.15 Cleric have INT20 and maxed out spellcraft. He tries to cast a 7.th level arcane spell (Forcecage) made by a lvl.15 Wizard

If you're casting it from a scroll (which I assume is true), your cleric makes a caster level check (+7, plus any universal bonuses from an Ioun Stone or something) versus DC 16. On a 9 or better, the cleric casts the spell. On 1-8, the cleric fails to cast; and must make a DC 5 Wisdom check. If he fails or rolls a natural 1, then a mishap (DM fiat) happens.

Douglas
2010-01-18, 01:11 PM
So with Magic Domain, a lvl15 Cleric is able to cast all arcane scrolls up to 4.th level arcane spells?
No, he is able to cast all Wizard scrolls up to 4th level spells. If a spell is exclusive to the Bard or Wu Jen lists, for example, the Magic domain does not allow using a scroll of it. It doesn't actually matter who made the scroll, but it does matter that it is on the Wizard class list.

If you're casting it from a scroll (which I assume is true), your cleric makes a caster level check (+7, plus any universal bonuses from an Ioun Stone or something) versus DC 16. On a 9 or better, the cleric casts the spell. On 1-8, the cleric fails to cast; and must make a DC 5 Wisdom check. If he fails or rolls a natural 1, then a mishap (DM fiat) happens.
To make sure this is clear: the numbers 9 and 1-8 here are the numbers on the die, and are the result of Foryn doing the math in reverse to calculate those. A 9 with the cleric's effective wizard level of 7 gives a result of 9+7=16, the minimum to meet the Forcecage scroll's DC.

Otodetu
2010-01-18, 01:52 PM
the d20 srd is quite clear if you want an in-depth explanation

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm

HCL
2010-01-18, 02:08 PM
Here is a question: Do you suffer spell failure when doing so if armored? On both scrolls and spell trigger items? I assume you would also need the requisite intelligence or make a UMD check to emulate the intelligence correct?

Optimystik
2010-01-18, 02:45 PM
Here is a question: Do you suffer spell failure when doing so if armored? On both scrolls and spell trigger items? I assume you would also need the requisite intelligence or make a UMD check to emulate the intelligence correct?

Generally, spell trigger items (wands) don't need somatic components, while spell completion items (scrolls) do. "No gestures or spell finishing is needed."

"Using a scroll is like casting a spell for purposes of arcane spell failure chance." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm)

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-18, 02:47 PM
Can you use a wand while grappled?
Just curious.

Optimystik
2010-01-18, 03:04 PM
Can you use a wand while grappled?
Just curious.

Yes. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wands.htm)

"A wand may be used while grappling or while swallowed whole."

Glimbur
2010-01-18, 03:41 PM
Yes. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wands.htm)

"A wand may be used while grappling or while swallowed whole."

Addendum: if you are prevented from speaking, for example by being pinned and the attacker choosing to gag you, you may not activate a wand.

sofawall
2010-01-18, 03:55 PM
Addendum: if you are prevented from speaking, for example by being pinned and the attacker choosing to gag you, you may not activate a wand.

What if the base spell does not require speaking?

drevil
2010-01-18, 04:37 PM
I must admit, Magic Domain is very nice.
There are alot of useful wizards spells a cleric could need.

My lvl.15 Cleric tries to cast a 7.th level arcane spell (Forcecage) made by a lvl.15 Wizard.

your cleric makes a caster level check (+7, plus any universal bonuses from an Ioun Stone or something) versus DC 16. On a 9 or better, the cleric casts the spell. On 1-8, the cleric fails to cast.

Other than Ioun Stone, what else could increase the chance to scroll success?
After all, 1-8(Fail) is quite probable.

Sophismata
2010-01-18, 06:20 PM
What if the base spell does not require speaking?

The wand requires a command word.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-18, 07:22 PM
I must admit, Magic Domain is very nice.
There are alot of useful wizards spells a cleric could need.

My lvl.15 Cleric tries to cast a 7.th level arcane spell (Forcecage) made by a lvl.15 Wizard.

If you have some way of boosting CL for spells of a certain descriptor then that same bonus would apply to your caster level check on the scroll's use. Basically if you could cast the spell with a boosted caster level, were it on your spell list, you can make the CL check for a scroll with the same boost. The feat Arcane Mastery from complete arcane lets you take 10 on CL checks IIRC.

herrhauptmann
2010-01-18, 08:43 PM
The wand requires a command word.

What if it was for example, a wand of magic missile that had been created with the Silent SPell metamagic?

You can use some skill synergies to get yourself an additional +2 for use of scrolls. (or is that only for purpose of identification and UMD?)

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-18, 08:44 PM
You cannot activate a wand if you cannot speak. This is an absolute rule, stated in the Rules Compendium.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-18, 08:49 PM
1st: Not any arcane or divine. Just as you can't use a paladin spell, you can't use a sorceror only spell, nor can you use a bard spell.

But for cleric items? You're a 15th level cleric.
For items with wizard spells/wizard requirements? You're a 7th level wizard.

So, using a scroll of Greater invisibility or a wand of Knock? Fine, a 7th level wizard can do that.