PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Finesse tripper build?

Kallisti
2010-01-18, 03:38 PM
The title pretty much says it all. If I want to build a dex-based tripper without much in the way of strength, is there a way?

EDIT: Also, is dex-based grappling feasible?

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-18, 03:39 PM
Bards with Snowflake Wardance and a whip.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-18, 03:47 PM
Swordsage.

Kallisti
2010-01-18, 03:47 PM
So Snowflake Wardance would add to Trip attempts? Interesting...the character I want this for is a swordsage and I can't really afford to take levels of Bard, but I'm still interested in hearing other options just out of curiosity.

EDIT: @^ What about swordsage? Is there a maneuver or stance to let me pull this off? 'Cause that'd be about perfect.

Kallisti
2010-01-18, 04:41 PM
{Scrubbed. Please don't double post or bump threads.}

Saph
2010-01-18, 04:44 PM
He's talking about the Setting Sun school of maneuvers from Tome of Battle, which allow the user to make trip attempts with Dex instead of Strength, and with a +4 bonus on the check.

However, they're standard actions, which means you won't get the bonus for AoOs and similar extra attacks.

Kallisti
2010-01-18, 04:50 PM
Thanks. It's worth considering, at least.

Boci
2010-01-18, 04:52 PM
Master throwing has a trick that allows them to trip at range with their dex mod. Also I gthink factotums can use their int mod in addition to their str mod, so thats an option as well.

Sir Giacomo
2010-01-18, 04:56 PM
Hm. Here's an idea:

- try to get as many attacks (=trip attempts/round) as possible. Maybe also two-weapon fighting with two flails or two kamas (to still have one when the opponent tries to trip you back). DEX helps here to get more AoO for combat reflexes.
- you do not necessarily need weapon finesse since the attacks for tripping are touch attacks only.
- then, boost the attacking trip mod with all kinds of ability check modifiers (luck bonuses like from the luck stone or the bard improvisation spell, morale bonuses like from the good hope spell etc.)
- then, maybe also get a race like dwarf which gets a bonus to resist being tripped.
- enlarge and other size boosts could still help, even though you'd only get a total of +3 for it (+4 for larger size but -1 from DEX).
- finally, do at high levels up to 15 trip attempts/round or more (10 from attacks possibly, 5 from AoOs). Whenever you fail, try again - your high DEX mod will prevent you being tripped back.

The results may be quite interesting. Hmmm. Might have thought of that for the monk trip build that I'm playing in the monkening test of spite (he has up to 8 attacks per round, 5 regular with haste, plus up to 3 as AoO). But likely would have been too low damage output for that.

- Giacomo

dyslexicfaser
2010-01-18, 05:05 PM
Using the Complete Warrior's High Sword Low Axe weapon style allows you to get a free trip attack (with Imp Trip's accompanying hit) every time you connect with both of your weapons. Combine that with feats like Double Hit and you get free sword-axe-trip-sword attacks on AoOs.

Thurbane
2010-01-18, 09:07 PM
How about a Duskblade whip tripper? Whip has nice range for spell channeling. It might even make Whirlwind Attack semi feasible.

Boci
2010-01-18, 09:28 PM
How about a Duskblade whip tripper? Whip has nice range for spell channeling. It might even make Whirlwind Attack semi feasible.

I think by strict interpretation of RAW, you cannot channel and use whirlwind in the same round.

Melamoto
2010-01-19, 03:05 AM
Using the Complete Warrior's High Sword Low Axe weapon style allows you to get a free trip attack (with Imp Trip's accompanying hit) every time you connect with both of your weapons. Combine that with feats like Double Hit and you get free sword-axe-trip-sword attacks on AoOs.

Play a Thri-Keen with Multi-Weapon Fighting.

Temotei
2010-01-19, 03:08 AM
I think by strict interpretation of RAW, you cannot channel and use whirlwind in the same round.

As said by a wise man: Lithium Einsteinium! :smalltongue:

JaronK
2010-01-19, 03:15 AM
Factotum 3/Swordsage X or Factotum 8/Swordsage X will get you where you need to go. Factotum 3 gives Int to all Dex and Str based rolls, while Swordsage gives you dex based tripping via the Mighty Throw line of Setting Sun manuevers. Factotum 8 lets you do multiple standard actions in a round, allowing for multiple manuevers. It's a very solid combo that leads to a finessey warrior... Int + Dex to tripping, plus you get bonuses if they're bigger than you (which is very important).

JaronK

Soranar
2010-01-19, 03:16 AM
Tripping Thrower (very different from a chain build)

race: strongheart halfling
alignment: any

STATS (32 pts buy)
STR 10 (can't be negative to qualify for vital aim)
DEX 20 (you might want this lower to pump CON)
CON14
INT 14 (I prefer a minimum of intelligence to play with, and some skills are useful, besides you get hide and move silently as a targetteer)
WIS 8 dump
CHA 8 dump

Targetteer lets you take 2 exotic ranged weapon proficiency

1rst should be Boomerang,talenta (1d4 piercing/bludgeoning weapon, 30ft, comes back when it misses with access to special feats to ricochet)
2nd I recommend the light repeating crossbow, comes in handy when you want to shoot from farther ( and you can always take the crossbow sniper feat to have reliable damage against crit immune creatures)

1 Targetteer vital aim, point blank shot, precise shot
2 Targetteer weapon focus Talenta Boomerang
3 Targetteer rapid shot
4 Targetteer boomerang ricochet
5 Targetteer
6 Master Thrower Trip Shot, Combat reflexes , bonus feat:Quick Draw
7 Master Thrower bonus feat: evasion
8 Targetteer ranged threat

so basically you only use your DEX for attack and damage (full bonus unless crit immune), you threaten everything within 30ft , you trip them using your DEX bonus +4 and you can do ricochets+rapid shots for crowd control

all you need is lots of boomerangs

btw Targetteer is a fighter variant, further levels in master thrower lets you get deadeye shot trick (increased multiplier on crits) and improved critical + another trick that lets you do a ranged touch attack to hit (for those really high ACs)

Here's a build using the trip trick , you don't actually need to use the targetteer fighter variant (but since it gives your DEX on damage I recommend it ) but master thrower requires a lot of feats so some type of fighter is probably best

the halfling boomerang thing is just useful for ricochet attacks but you can do the same with skiprocks or play a drow to get access to the same feat

but halfling is pretty much the best race for that build (+2 DEX, extra feat , small size gives another +1 to hit and halfling yet another +1)

and you threaten on a range of 30ft but you're limited to 1 AoO

Person_Man
2010-01-19, 10:48 AM
Confound the Big Folk (Races of Stone) lets you Trip an enemy 2 sizes larger then you with your choice of Str or Dex, and your opponent cannot add their size bonus to the check. There are plenty of Tiny races out there, and you can always use Reduce Person or the superior Compression (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Compression).