PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Domains w/out Levels in Cleric?

Arctura42
2010-01-18, 06:12 PM
Is it possible to have access to a domain without ever actually being a cleric?

There is an epic feat "Bonus Domain" whose requirements do not include being a cleric. Just a high WIS score and ability to cast 9th level divine spells I believe. Can I take this if I'm say, a Druid?

How would this work? I gain the domain power, that's easy enough, but what if it calls for class levels? What do I pick as the class level for it? Would I have to pick among classes if I have more than one that gives me 9th level divine spells?

And for the bonus spell slots. Do I get them? If I don't have them, then I cannot cast those spells, but if I do have them, I just paid a feat for no less than 9 extra spell slots, as well as some miscellaneous ability. Clearly, this should not occur.

My question stands. Is it possible, and more to the point, is it reasonable for such a thing to exist? Also, is it possible in any way at lower levels? I know that a few prestige classes from Complete Divine grant bonus domains without making you have to be a cleric (rather difficult though).

Anyway, any response at all is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Crafty Cultist
2010-01-18, 06:16 PM
Arcane Disiple from complete arcane puts the spells of a single domain on your class list

Arctura42
2010-01-18, 09:07 PM
But I want the domain power mostly, not just access to the spells in question. The build specifically is a gestalt Druid/Wizard, with various prestige classes mixed in. It'd be overkill if I took a domain to learn a few extra spells. I want the domain power.

Glimbur
2010-01-18, 09:32 PM
Check Complete Divine, p 20. You can memorize a domain spell in your regular druid spell slots, but not more than one per spell level. You also get the granted power.

Alternately, if your wizard side qualifies to get a domain, you can scribe spells from that domain into your spell book, even from divine scrolls. There has to be a way to use this.

Edit: RAW this only applies to domains you get from PrC's, not feats, so YMMV.

nhbdy
2010-01-18, 09:33 PM
Arcane Disiple from complete arcane puts the spells of a single domain on your class list

from complete divine

EDIT: ninja'd

Darrin
2010-01-18, 10:27 PM
Is it possible to have access to a domain without ever actually being a cleric?

Yes.

There are several PrCs that add specific domains. Divine Oracle, for example. And there's a 9-level PrC in Faiths of Eberron, Sovereign Speaker, that gets a bonus domain every level.

There's a magic item in MIC/DMGII called Domain Draught that gives you access to a Cleric domain for 1 day.

But what you really want is the Planar Touchstone feat (Planar Handbook). Requires 250 GP item and 8 ranks of Knowledge: The Planes. Find or link your planar touchstone to the Catalogues of Enlightenment. Select a domain, and gain the domain power (but not the domain spells). The Catalogues of Enlightenment do not require you to worship a particular deity, and even if you do worship one in particular, you don't have to select a domain in their portfolio. Among other things, this allows you to pick up the War domain (and the Martial/Exotic proficiency + Weapon Focus) even for non-War deities. You can also pick up Augment Summoning as a bonus feat this way without taking Spell Focus: Conjuration (Cult of the Dragon Below grants this).

There is an epic feat "Bonus Domain" whose requirements do not include being a cleric. Just a high WIS score and ability to cast 9th level divine spells I believe. Can I take this if I'm say, a Druid?

Probably, although a venerable dragonwrought kobold might help.

My question stands. Is it possible, and more to the point, is it reasonable for such a thing to exist? Also, is it possible in any way at lower levels? I know that a few prestige classes from Complete Divine grant bonus domains without making you have to be a cleric (rather difficult though).

Possible, yes. Although if you're using a Planar Touchstone, no, you don't get the domain spells or extra spell slots. If your Wizard size can't provide the ranks in Knowledge: the Planes, there are Planar Substitution Levels in the Planar Handbook that can give you access to Knowledge: the Planes at certain levels. Or just take the Knowledge Devotion if need be.

subject42
2010-01-18, 10:39 PM
You would have to check with your DM, but the Pathfinder Druid will allow you to trade out your animal companion for a single domain from a pre-set list.

Arctura42
2010-01-24, 03:01 PM
Thank you Darrin - this is not only a very obscure work around, but also simultaneously provides me with new insight into the personality my character may have by the time he accomplishes such a feat. Had I only known of the Catalogues of Enlightenment before! Thank you, this is most helpful!

Dr.Epic
2010-01-24, 04:06 PM
Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Variant: they can get domains instead of specializing

tyckspoon
2010-01-24, 04:12 PM
Unearthed Arcana: Wizard Variant: they can get domains instead of specializing

No, they can't. They can specialize in a themed set of spells, some of which share names with clerical domains. The variant doesn't grant domain powers or anything that relies on them, such as "access to Y domain" for qualifying for prestige classes.