PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Party Balance

mikej
2010-01-18, 08:50 PM
Oh hai

After talking with my current DM yesterday, we've came to a rather tough situation. He is fairly good DM but is having a problem with the power level between the player's characters. The game we're now in is a war campaign with individual city states fighting off the horde of Orcs, Goblins, Ogre, other evil stuff, etc etc. The problem is that one or two players are somewhat serious while the rest aren't. The level of min/max expertise and laid back attitude also causes some trouble. I'll list what are party consist, with labels ( including myself ) to make things easy. Party is now at lv5.

Player A. Optimized, Human Druid.
Player B. Semi-Optimized, Dragonwrought Desert Kobolds Wizard
Player C. Decent, Goblin Barbarian/Fighter ? [going Frenzied Berserker]
Player D. Wood Elf Ranger/going Skylord [BoED]
Player E. Wood Elf Bard/Ninja
Player F. Possible Dromite Warlock/going Hellfire Warlock/Binder

Now the DM has mentioned anything that can kill or challenge Player A ( most likely B as well ) would automatically kill the rest. He want's everyone to have fun and doesn't intentionally like to kill player characters. He know's that Player A has done nothing wrong but if this persist it make cause the rest to get killed. Since it's a war campaign scenario all encounters are going to be fairly tough. He is trying to find the middle ground to prevent Player A & B from overshadowing the others.

I know a good majority would just assume the Optimizer is the problem and need to go. The problem is should the good player[s] being punished for techically doing nothing wrong while the others are fine? Or should it be more tough love?

GiTP you decide.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-01-18, 08:53 PM
The key is communication. The players and DM must come up with some basic power level amongst themselves and stick to it. Ideally this would happen before character creation.

Toliudar
2010-01-18, 08:59 PM
A couple questions:

Is it necessary to offer significantly lethal challenges in order for the group to have fun?
Has the DM talked about this with the druid and wizard's players? There's lots of ways for those classes to give focus, by focusing on buffing and support to the others.

If it's simply a potential problem, rather than a clear and present one (ie one of the characters has died), there's lots of time to massage this.

Innis Cabal
2010-01-18, 09:07 PM
Player B. Semi-Optimized, Dragonwrought Dessert Kobold Wizard.

Well, don't know about the rest. But this is the tastiest kobold I've ever seen.

mikej
2010-01-18, 09:07 PM
@ Mushroom Ninja

thanks, it was a little rushed last week and we should have discussed something like at character creation.

A couple questions:

Is it necessary to offer significantly lethal challenges in order for the group to have fun?
Has the DM talked about this with the druid and wizard's players? There's lots of ways for those classes to give focus, by focusing on buffing and support to the others.

If it's simply a potential problem, rather than a clear and present one (ie one of the characters has died), there's lots of time to massage this.

1. I'm sure my DM ( he usually does ) came up with them but from my viewpoint it's a war campaign and it's been said there going to be a lot of combat.
2. He has talked to Druid player from what he told me. I'm not sure about the Wizard. Also it's been said before that buffs should go to the others and the Druid player is planning on it. The Wizard however just buffed himself last session with Alter Self + Mage Armor, soo that's a possible no.

Edit: Yes, I made a spelling mistake on the Kobold. Soo sue me. :smallsigh:

Temotei
2010-01-18, 09:12 PM
Edit: Yes, I made a spelling mistake on the Kobold. Soo sue me. :smallsigh:

Really? Most people don't want to be sued. Although, I have to say, I've seen a lot of this lately. Is it a fad?

Grumman
2010-01-18, 09:14 PM
Are they too powerful offensively, or just defensively?

mikej
2010-01-18, 09:17 PM
Are they too powerful offensively, or just defensively?

Offensively

JaronK
2010-01-18, 09:17 PM
An obvious answer would be to request that player A switch to a different (similar) class that still does the same kind of character, but weaker. Wild Shape Variant Ranger or Spirit Shaman might do the trick, depending on what he wants to be. Player B is worse... can he switch to a Factotum or at least a Sorcerer, and drop the kobold shenanigans?

And make sure they know it's not about punishment, but rather making the game easier to run.

If they really want those classes, then asking that they spend their resources buffing the party instead of attacking directly would at least help the situation.

JaronK