PDA

View Full Version : Avenger [Pathfinder]

AtopTheMountain
2010-01-18, 09:44 PM
So. I play an Avenger in my 4E game, and realized that I absolutely love the class. I'm soon to join a Pathfinder game and was trying to think of a way to get a reasonable duplicate.

So far my idea is a Paladin 3 / Monk 2 (the game is starting at 5th level). Smite Evil seems to be a good enough equivalent of Oath of Emnity, and Monk lets me be unarmored and still have a nice AC if I have high Wisdom, along with some defensive bonus feats. But this seems to be quite a weak character, since I wouldn't use Unarmed Strike or Flurry of Blows (I like using Falchions). What are some thoughts? Is there a better way to do this? Are there other things (feats, etc) I could use to do it better?

Boci
2010-01-18, 09:53 PM
Herxblade's curse can help, especially with online fixes. Of course where the monk is lacking gthe swordsage can often be used. Alternativly you could go crusader.

AtopTheMountain
2010-01-18, 09:57 PM
Sadly, this is a pure pathfinder game as far as I know. If it was 3.5 I would definitely dip into other handbooks (especially Tome of Battle), but I think we're only using material that Paizo put out for Pathfinder.

Boci
2010-01-18, 10:01 PM
Eek, that will make mechanical representation hard. You can reflavour the paladins abilities to fir the avenger, maybe ask your DM to alter their code. Apart from that, if monk's belt still exists you could use that to get wisdom to AC without monk levels, however you will need to wait a while before you can afford that.

AtopTheMountain
2010-01-18, 10:11 PM
Luckily, I'm not totally obsessed with the Avenger thing, so if I can't make it work and work well I have other ideas.

arguskos
2010-01-19, 04:32 AM
I'm not familiar with the Avenger from 4e, but have you looked at the Inquisitor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/advanced-player-s-guide-playtest/inquisitor) from the Advanced Player's Guide beta? It might have the feel you want, and is Paizo material. :smallamused:

Tehnar
2010-01-19, 04:47 AM
You could ask your DM to let you take the Ascetic Knight feat, lets you use the combined monk+paladin level for unarmed damage and smite evil. Its in Complete Adventurer.

Alternatively just focus on one side (Paladin), and the two monk levels provide good saves, evasion and bonus AC.