PDA

View Full Version : Gish Idea 3.5

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-19, 09:43 AM
This is just an idea that has been floating in my mind for a few days, how useful/playable would be to play a gish using Duskblade?

I know that Duskblade is a gish in a can but I was thinking on something along the lines of :
Duskblade 3 (for channeling) /Wizard x/ abjurant champion X

If you don't loose anymore CL you can get even to 9 lvl spells, you can channel some tasty spells like Shivering touch, bestow curse, touch of idiocy, etc. Also you have access to some good buffs like mirror image, haste (AFB right now so not sure if Duskblade gets them) heroics , etc.

So does anybody have thoughs, suggestions, etc?

nekomata2
2010-01-19, 10:03 AM
Well, you could, but with 3 levels in Duskblade, you can't loose caster levels anywhere else in your build, and having 12 levels of wizard with means your final BAB is +14. If you really want channeling, use the Smiting Spell metmagic from PHB2.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-19, 10:22 AM
Well, if you do take 12 levels of wizard after Duskblade before entering Abjurant champion but there are other Gish Prg classes like abjurant chamion, swiftblade (not that good concerning the big loss of CL), etc.
and while yes If you want to reach 9 lvl spells before epic you shouldn't loose anymore CL, but if you are like me that doesn't care too much it. It should be fine

ex cathedra
2010-01-19, 12:38 PM
Swiftblade is great, even with the spell level loss. Honestly, I'm inclined to agree that if you want channeling Smiting Spell is the way to do it. It isn't that effective, regardless, but I never use channeling in my gish builds, so... yeah. There are plenty of other ways to get bonus damage.

Sure, you could be channeling with that build, but you'd probably be better off with an extra three levels of wizard casting for buffs and the like.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-19, 12:56 PM
If you want channeling -esque abilities, consider something like Wizard X/EK Y/Dragonslayer 1/Spellsword 3 (or is it 5?)/Abjurant Champion 5. Use whatever form of trickery you prefer to jump into EK early. I'm a fan of Sanctum Spell+(Militia or Otherwordly). Sadly, you need Dodge and Iron Will to qualify for Dragonslayer, but it nets you everything you need for Spellsword.

EDIT: I believe there's another gishy PrC in Complete Champion that gives channeling, too, but I am uncertain if it advances arcane casting.