PDA

View Full Version : Fast Healing, Horrible Death, and You.

Reptar
2010-01-19, 11:39 AM
Fast Healing has some odd rules questions that I have yet to find answered in a definitive manor.
"It acts as natural healing that heals a certain amount of damage at the beginning of every turn." - a summery of the rules

(A) Natural healing doesn't heal on the turns when someone is dying. Does fast healing heal on those turns? It acts on "every" turn, is this covered By the exception clause of the rules?

(B) How about when you're drowning?

Links:
Fast healing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm)
Injury and death (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryanddeath.htm)
Drowning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm)

Killer Angel
2010-01-19, 12:11 PM
Those are very specific questions.
I suggest to post'em in the "Q&A D&D by raw 3.5 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136877)" thread, it should be easiest to obtain an answer

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-19, 12:18 PM
I would suggest exactly the contrary. First of all, these questions are already in this thread, and won't be removed. Secondly, this is the sort of thing that could easily turn into a discussion.

I'd answer, but I'm AFB.

Duke of URL
2010-01-19, 12:19 PM
(A) "Natural healing" simply means that it isn't positive energy or anything similar. Ergo, it can affect creatures normally immune to (or damaged by) positive energy. This is why an undead's fast healing (when it has the ability) doesn't harm the creature, but instead heals it.

(B) By RAW, it's ambiguous. RAI would say that drowning is equivalent to suffocating, in which case fast healing does not apply.

Killer Angel
2010-01-19, 12:30 PM
I would suggest exactly the contrary. First of all, these questions are already in this thread, and won't be removed.

My bad, I should have added "next time". :smallredface:
Of course, now must be discussed here.

Secondly, this is the sort of thing that could easily turn into a discussion.

Well, Duke answered... imo there's no so much room for RAW discussion, but I can certainly be wrong.

Tiki Snakes
2010-01-19, 12:34 PM
In reverse-ish-order;

Healing hp's doesn't help you with Drowning anyway. You simply begin drowning, and then die. Note, RAW there is no way to even stop drowning. RAI, drowning is pretty much covered by suffocation (Because you are literally suffocating due to there being water in the way)

Fast healing works exactly like natural healing except where it says otherwise, and no-where does it excuse itself from the 'you don't heal naturally whilst dying, nor when restored to conciousness but disabled' bit.

[edit] As for whether Fast healing functions at all whilst drowning, I'd say that fast healing does work whilst you are drowning, and you do heal hp as normal, however you still die in the third round of drowning unless you somehow manage to stop drowning. :smallsmile:

Reptar
2010-01-19, 12:38 PM
(B) By RAW, it's ambiguous. RAI would say that drowning is equivalent to suffocating, in which case fast healing does not apply.

That's what I thought of at first, but as I looked into it noticed a discrepancy, the Fast healing says :

A creature that has taken both nonlethal and lethal damage heals the nonlethal damage first.

Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation.

Both Starvation and Thirst slowly deal nonleathal damage that can't be healed untill fed or watered as does the Slow suffocation mentioned within the suffocation rules.

but if you suffocate instantly or drown you immediately drop to 0 then -1
would all the hit point's lost this way not be able to be regained through fast healing?

Edit: to post posted while writen

Fast healing works exactly like natural healing except where it says otherwise, and no-where does it excuse itself from the 'you don't heal naturally whilst dying, nor when restored to conciousness but disabled' bit.

The issue that came up was that it's written "At the beginning of each of the creatures turns" (without any exclusions) which is different than natural healing. Thus the question was whether "Except where noted here" applied to what was noted before it.

I really don't know what the answer to any of these questions should be, so I'm here asking for advice. Hopefully something official.