PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Vampire Template

Shadowbane
2010-01-19, 01:19 PM
Is it worth LA +8? Is there any way I could lower the LA by removing special abilities? I want to play a vampire...but I don't want to play a character with LA +8.

DementedFellow
2010-01-19, 01:27 PM
What part about it appeals to you? There might be something else that gives that ability.

Yukitsu
2010-01-19, 01:27 PM
No, it's not worth 8. It is however great fun.

Starscream
2010-01-19, 01:28 PM
You do get lots of cool powers. But you also get some of the most weaksauce weaknesses in the game.

Holy symbols are the worst. Anyone can keep you at bay with them. They don't need to roll. You don't get a save. They don't even need to believe in the god in question. A 1HD commoner could use it on a 20HD vampire.

Shadowbane
2010-01-19, 01:30 PM
Are there feats I can take to get rid of that? I plan on taking the feats Endure Sunlight, Life Drain and Necrotic Reserve.

As to what appeals to me, it would be the shape-shifting, the domination, the energy drain...

Actually, pretty much everything except that stinking LA +8.

Yukitsu
2010-01-19, 01:33 PM
You can take another 3 level adjustment that you can buy off to become a vampire lord, losing all vampire weaknesses and gaining even more awesomesauce abilities.

It's basically like getting vampire that stacks with vampire, but at half price.

Otodetu
2010-01-19, 01:34 PM
You are not supposed to play a vampire in 3.5.
Don't forget you are chained to your coffin, so adventuring is risky, awkward and not very likely.

The most valid option is to have a vampire game, with everyone being vampires.

something similar with the same fluff should work too, right?
Work it out with your dm. if it is a shallow smash champaign then just drop the idea.