PDA

View Full Version : lower LA vampire

Tao the Ninja
2010-01-19, 06:02 PM
Could people post homebrew vampire variants? I wanna build a spellstitched vampire, but LA +8 is a tad high

Drakevarg
2010-01-19, 06:10 PM
Isn't there a "Request a Homebrew" topic?

Also, why not just dip into the Vampire Spawn leveled race from Libris Mortis?

deuxhero
2010-01-19, 06:12 PM
Try the Tome Vampire (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Tome_of_Necromancy_%283.5e_Sourcebook%29/New_Rules#Becoming_Undead)

Temotei
2010-01-19, 06:15 PM
The Demented One's Revised Vampires (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58213).

TabletopNuke
2010-01-20, 09:08 PM
If you have access to Libris Mortis, you could start with the half-vampire template (+2 LA, I believe). Give it the undead type, all of the half-vampire features, and the rest of the vampire weaknesses, and you've got a (somewhat watered-down) +2 LA vampire.

You could also tweak other, lower-LA templates to get what you're looking for. I once made a deathless, divine vampire variant for a player of mine using the half-celestial template as a base. The half-fiend might be a good starting point.

Rainbownaga
2010-01-21, 01:41 AM
What i'm doing in a campaign is using the vampire spawn template but changing the LA into racial hit dice. It's a little overpowered at the moment, but that might be for campaign related reasons (such as not having a sun at the moment) and the fact that she rolled four 6's for str (20 after racial adjust).

Dairun Cates
2010-01-21, 02:33 AM
And here I was hoping for a Vampire with a -2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis for like a +2 to Cha that glitters in the Sun and has a negative level adjustment.

mikej
2010-01-21, 02:57 AM
And here I was hoping for a Vampire with a -2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis for like a +2 to Cha that glitters in the Sun and has a negative level adjustment.

haha, I seen what you did there. :smallamused:

Argetlam15
2010-01-21, 02:59 AM

That'd have a +8LA, at least, it's horrifying and broken! All monsters would fall down laughing if they ever saw this "Vampire" in the sun!:smallsigh:

Latronis
2010-01-21, 03:35 AM
I want a higher LA vampire!

Eldan
2010-01-21, 03:48 AM
For higher LA, stack templates. Dark fits, or evolved undead.
For really high, take the Vampire Lord.

Latronis
2010-01-21, 04:23 AM
For higher LA, stack templates. Dark fits, or evolved undead.
For really high, take the Vampire Lord.

Like some kind of fiendish minotaur half-dragon vampire lord cleric(divine intervention clause) with a handful of barbarian and frenzied berserker levels?

Eldan
2010-01-21, 07:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that vampire can't be applied to a dragon (too lazy to go check), but if you can get a DM to agree...

TabletopNuke
2010-01-21, 10:42 PM
I'm pretty sure that vampire can't be applied to a dragon (too lazy to go check), but if you can get a DM to agree...

The Draconomicon (spelled right?) has rules for draconic vampires, if you were interested...

Temotei
2010-01-21, 10:46 PM
The Draconomicon (spelled right?) has rules for draconic vampires, if you were interested...

Draconomicon (you got the spelling right) is amazing. I love that book. :smallbiggrin: So...many...high-level...enemies.

And even some lower level encounters. And spells. And templates. And feats. And...yeah. :smallredface:

Latronis
2010-01-21, 10:53 PM
that's why i mentioned the divine intervention clause.

Say slain by a vampire blood drain would normally kill something permanently that can't be turned. By a particularly devout follower of a deity not adverse to sentient undead followers may intercede on it's behalf allowing it to raise again. Over the following centuries it may then break it's 'masters' will and qualify for the vampire lord template.

Jane_Smith
2010-01-22, 01:14 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139195 I made a weaker vampire template, but nobody rated it. : (

Temotei
2010-01-22, 01:26 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139195 I made a weaker vampire template, but nobody rated it. : (

Lithium Einsteinium!

Dear Fax: You have inspired me to say this in my conversations. I thank you very much, and I hope you don't mind me using this.

Baron Corm
2010-01-22, 02:15 PM
A good way to make a lower LA vampire is to go World of Darkness style, and make several different types of vampires. Splitting up the vampire abilities makes each one have a much lesser impact on game balance.

You could have a basic shell, like this:

- +2 to one ability score, -2 to another
- Undead Type
- Blood sucking (variant form of coup-de-grace/eating, no real power added)
- Special Ability

Then make a list of special abilities, like turning into a bat, or mind control. And tie a weakness to each of those abilities, so there's only one specific way to kill each vampire type. Then let your players choose from the preset list of vampire types. Example:

Nosferatus

- +2 to Strength, -2 to Charisma
- Undead Type
- Blood Sucking
- Can turn into a bat
- Destroyed in direct sunlight

Draculas

- +2 to Charisma, -2 to Dexterity
- Undead Type
- Blood Sucking
- Suggestion 1/hour
- Burned by holy symbols

Etc. Rough examples as you can see but there's one idea.