PDA

View Full Version : Extraplanar in 3.5

HCL
2010-01-19, 06:54 PM
What advantages or disadvantage does the extraplanar subtype give someone? For example, Dusklings and Buommans. I have heard that there is some way to use this to your advantage, but I haven't had it explained to me.

Gorbash
2010-01-19, 06:57 PM
Well, the only one advantage I can think of is that you can't get Banished while you're on your home plane... And that's about it.

On the other side of the spectrurm, you can get banished while you're everywhere else, so not a good thing.

tyckspoon
2010-01-19, 07:04 PM
Extraplanar itself is mostly a disadvantage- it means you are subject to effects like Banishment and Dismissal, and can be warded against by anything that protects against extraplanar creatures in general (I'm sure there's a Magic Circle Against Extraplanar or similar somewhere out there.) The benefits usually come from the primary type that gave you the Extraplanar subtype. The biggest benefit is with Alter Self/Polymorph (ab)use; you can turn into anything of your own type in addition to the normal types allowed by the spell. You also get the Features of the type, such as an Outsider's martial weapon proficiencies.

I'm not aware of any especially useful traits of being Fey like the Duskling, but there's probably a nasty Alter Self form somewhere out there.

Optimystik
2010-01-19, 07:15 PM
What tyck said - the primary advantage of being extraplanar is what gives it to you - i.e. being an outsider or elemental. The EP subtype itself is usually a headache.

Thurbane
2010-01-19, 09:38 PM
Is there any feats or PrCs that have Extraplanar as a prereq?

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-19, 09:41 PM
Unlikely, since it is both trivial to qualify for (cast Plane Shift) and easy to lose (return to home plane). Enjoy losing all your class features because you went back home.

Claudius Maximus
2010-01-19, 09:42 PM
Any creature that isn't on its own plane or on a transitive plane has the extraplanar subtype. You lose it the moment you go to one of these planes.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-19, 09:45 PM
I'm not aware of any especially useful traits of being Fey like the Duskling, but there's probably a nasty Alter Self form somewhere out there.

Polymorph too. Especially in later MMs. Oh, and LA 0 Charm/Dominate Person immunity.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-19, 09:52 PM
One thing to remember about the extraplanar subtype, is that it has a very small mechanical impact. Simply changing the plane to which a particular individual is native can remove it from play altogether unless that character goes plane-hopping. EG: one of your players wants to play an earth mephling, in a campaign where planar travel will not be intentionally featured. Normally mephlings have the extraplanar subtype unless they're on the elemental plane of their other subtype (earth, air, fire, or water) but if you let your player say his earth mephling was born near a planar rift on the prime material plane, he doesn't have the extraplanar subtype on the prime material plane, but does have it on the elemental plane of earth. If you are such a player its your responsibility to keep from being a munchkin. Don't ask your DM to remove the extraplanar subtype from your character for the prime-material if its a native outsider.

oxinabox
2010-01-19, 10:07 PM
Not being a humaniod (wich often goes with being extraplanar) is normally a good thing, just to get out of things like control humaniod etc.
I had fun with a house achellon in a good vs evil party on party battle at the end of a dungeon crawl;.
enemy wizard: *looks at you*
I look right badck in his eyes, (Party No! never look a wizard in the eyes!)
Enemy wizard: make a will save, *I roll* you failed,
me: "Wait, i have spell reisistance, X"
evil wizard: Overcome, You are now under the effecvt of dominate humanoid.
me: AhHA! I'm not humanoid! Fear my Greatsword!

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-19, 11:15 PM
The benefits usually come from the primary type that gave you the Extraplanar subtype.
Extraplanar isn’t granted by type. It’s simply granted by being on a plane other than the one to which you are native. The reason Elementals and Outsiders are usually listed with the Extraplanar subtype already in their entry is that the manual assumes they are encountered on the Material Plane. A Balor encountered in the Abyss does not have the Extraplanar subtype.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-20, 07:04 AM
(Party No! never look a wizard in the eyes!)

Really? I can't think of many effects that proc off looking people in the eyes. The vampire thing, but vampires aren't particularly liable to be wizards. Most other things are universal gaze attacks.

Cyclocone
2010-01-20, 07:25 AM
Really? I can't think of many effects that proc off looking people in the eyes. The vampire thing, but vampires aren't particularly liable to be wizards. Most other things are universal gaze attacks.

Symbol of Death contacts.:smallwink:

Anyway, depending on which plane you're from, you can get some nice bennies from Planar Bubble.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 08:03 AM
Extraplanar isn’t granted by type. It’s simply granted by being on a plane other than the one to which you are native. The reason Elementals and Outsiders are usually listed with the Extraplanar subtype already in their entry is that the manual assumes they are encountered on the Material Plane. A Balor encountered in the Abyss does not have the Extraplanar subtype.

I think what he meant, was that to be on the Material Plane (where most campaigns take place) and be Extraplanar, you'd have to be an Outsider.

Chaelos
2010-01-20, 09:11 AM
The main advantage I've heard of the Outsider subtype is that it opens up a wide variety of polymorph options otherwise inaccessible. If you're not afraid to look cheesy/have a DM and gaming group who doesn't mind excessive polymorphing, go for it, but otherwise, I wouldn't really bother.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 09:12 AM
The main advantage I've heard of the Outsider subtype is that it opens up a wide variety of polymorph options otherwise inaccessible. If you're not afraid to look cheesy/have a DM and gaming group who doesn't mind excessive polymorphing, go for it, but otherwise, I wouldn't really bother.

Without being an Outsider, however, merely being Extraplanar confers none of those benefits.

oxinabox
2010-01-20, 12:17 PM

It's nothing mechanical, but in popular cultureto put someong under an enchantment a wizard (/hypotist) must look them in the eyes.
We all know the most dangerous wizard is not hte blaster, or even the batman wizard (there are thing that even batman wizard says no to) it's the diplomancer, who looks yo uin the eyes and says: "We are great friends, we don't want to fight each other. tonight when all you friends are alseep you will slit there throats, then your own. "