PDA

View Full Version : Survey Help

JerichoPenumbra
2010-01-19, 08:27 PM
I need help with a survey project. Namely I need as many answers by tomorrow or Thursday.

1. If you were a billionaire, would you donate at least half of your money to charitable causes?

2. Would you consider someone who did that a hero?

3. What is your age and gender?

Perenelle
2010-01-19, 08:50 PM
I need help with a survey project. Namely I need as many answers by tomorrow or Thursday.

1. If you were a billionaire, would you donate at least half of your money to charitable causes?

1) yes.
2) Not really... a very good and generous person, but not necessarily a hero.
3) 14, Female

CMOTDibbler
2010-01-19, 09:05 PM
1. Yes
2. Eh... No. Not a hero, per say, maybe a good person.
3. 16, Male.

Mauve Shirt
2010-01-19, 09:31 PM
Yes
Nah.
20, Female

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-19, 09:37 PM
1. Yes. I mean, really, are you going to be that greedy?

2. Well, a kind and generous human, but not a hero per se. A hero would be someone who literally puts thier life on the line to save others, without thinking of a reward..

3. 13, Male

Seonor
2010-01-19, 09:37 PM
1. After my death all that is left would go to charity, that would probably more than 3/4 of it, so yes.
2. No.
3. 24, Male

Phlale
2010-01-19, 10:11 PM
1) Yes
2) Depends largely on method. Just giving money to charity, no, but if they actually go out and inspire people to join in, then possibly.
3) Male, 25

Sucrose
2010-01-19, 10:17 PM

1. Yes.

2. No, a hero is a person who is willing to put themselves at risk, rather than just impeding themselves from having quite as hedonistic of a lifestyle. I would, however, consider these people to be excellent citizens, and if they have a business of some kind, and they sold a product that I had use for, I would be happy to buy from them.

3. 22, Male.

This for a class, or professional work of some kind?

Kallisti
2010-01-19, 10:22 PM

1. Not prehumously, but I'd will most of what's left to charity.

2. No. A hero is someone who takes personal risk or makes great personal sacrifice. I don't consider downgrading from "set for many, many lifetimes" to "set for many lifetimes" a great enough sacrifice to make you a hero. To echo previous sentiments, a person who did give away that fortune would be a wonderful person, and I wish them well in their long life of being taken advantage of and prevailed upon.

3. 16, male.

JerichoPenumbra
2010-01-19, 11:56 PM
This for a class, or professional work of some kind?

Yeah, a class.

arguskos
2010-01-20, 01:20 AM
1. I would ensure me and mine are set for our lives, and the lives of our children, and then I would sign into my will that 75% of my fortune at time of death will be delivered to certain charitable causes I found vitally important in life. Given that a vast sum of my money would go towards making yet more money with itself (only real use for money at some point), that could well be in excess of 100% of the starting total.

2. No, heroism is about more than dedicating money to someone or something.

3. 21, Male.

BizzaroStormy
2010-01-20, 01:21 AM

Yes

No

19, Male

Kneenibble
2010-01-20, 01:23 AM
1 No I would not.

2 No I do not consider that heroism.

3 Male, 25.

Is this qualitative or quantitative data you need?

BizzaroStormy
2010-01-20, 01:34 AM
Is this qualitative or quantitative data you need?

Good question. People on these forums are too alike to only use the results gained form asking us.

The Extinguisher
2010-01-20, 01:39 AM
1. Probably not.

2. Not really.

3. 18 and male.

Renegade Paladin
2010-01-20, 01:46 AM
1.) Yes. I'm frugal by nature, and on the condition that my planned project for if I ever win the lottery costs less than half of my hypothetical billion dollar fortune (namely, building and maintaining a castle) I can't see having a lot of use for that much excess.

2.) No.

3.) Male, 25.

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-20, 02:19 AM
1) No. Not as a matter of principle, at least. I would certainly donate money, and would be free with helping people and organizations that need things or do good things, but I would not sit back and say "you know, at least half of this needs to go to charity or I'm not being a good enough person". In actuality, I would probably follow the example of Bill Gates and start one or more charitable foundations.

2) Certainly not. As others have said, an upstanding citizen, sure, but not a hero.

3) Male, 38.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-01-20, 02:39 AM
1. No. At least not in the way you're probably thinking. Yes, I would spend money, but I wouldn't blindly give it away to the first thing that calls itself a charity like many seem to do these days. What I would instead do is spend my time researching the underlying problem of whatever it is I want to donate money to and fix that. Simply because if you throw money at something, 90% of it will go towards raising awareness or paying non-profit workers that are working on raising awareness or some other bulls**t like that.

Simply said, if I want my hand in curing cancer, I will go and talk to oncologists about promising treatments and donate to research centers working on them instead of just giving it to cancer-related charities. Simply because if I have that much money, that means I have enough to actually make a difference. Or if I want to end hunger in Africa, I will work on seting up politically stable enclaves where people can farm safely instead of simply shipping over crates food which are only an immediate fix but don't cure the problem in the long run.

Also, if I have a family, it will come first and I will leave a large portion of my estate to them.

2. No. Others have explained it. A hero puts his life at risk to save others, pure and simple.

3. Male, 22.

rakkoon
2010-01-20, 02:50 AM
1) No. Not as a matter of principle, at least. I would certainly donate money, and would be free with helping people and organizations that need things or do good things, but I would not sit back and say "you know, at least half of this needs to go to charity or I'm not being a good enough person". In actuality, I would probably follow the example of Bill Gates and start one or more charitable foundations.

2) Certainly not. As others have said, an upstanding citizen, sure, but not a hero.

3) Male, 38.

change 38 to 32 an that's perfect for me

KuReshtin
2010-01-20, 03:44 AM

1. No. At least I don't think so.
2. No.
3. M/34

Sliver
2010-01-20, 04:20 AM
1. Probably not.

2. Not really.

3. 18 and male.

Same here :smalltongue:

toasty
2010-01-20, 04:34 AM

1. Honestly, I'd probably give more than 500 million (US dollars, right? I'm thinking in US Dollars) away. I mean, once I had a nice house, savings, and enough money to live on, I could give away a lot of money. I don't want to be a good-for-nothing rich-boy, I'd want a job and a "real" life. So I could see myself giving away 750 million easily.

2. No. Not at all. I would, however, consider someone who greedily hoarded all their money a horrid person.

3. 18 year old male.

edit:

I should probably clarify that I'd either do as stated above, or work closely with Organizations I personally understand or know of through various means. I wouldn't give it to nameless charities or foundations "to be good" I'd work with people I personally knew and with causes I personally felt needed more help.

Actually, if I was rich enough, I could see that being a full-time job of mine, after a fashion.

Grimlock
2010-01-20, 04:45 AM
1) At least half? Don't know, I would certainly support a range of charities and would be generous with my money, but half...I would like to think so, but realistically no I proabably wouldn't
2) No
3) 32 Male

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-20, 05:55 AM
1. No. I would either be greedy and not donate more then half or I would use atleast a part of it to set-up my own charity. My mind would feel better knowing what exactly happens with the money and that I spent my time on it. Not just a random cheque of money.
2. Nay.

3. Male, 16.

KuReshtin
2010-01-20, 06:17 AM
Actually, this just reminded me of a tv show they showed here in the UK last year, called 'The Secret Millionaire' where some filthy rich people spent time 'in the real world', meeting 'real people' and living a life of not having money for a few weeks, meeting people who use their spare time and sometimes meager income to do good.
Then, at the end of their stay, the millionaire decides whether or not to help these people out with a donation specifically to their cause.
That way, it's not a faceless donation to a random charity, but the donation goes directly to something that the millionaire thinks is a worthy cause.

I'd probably try to be involved in something like that. And then stop by every now and then to see how things have turned out.

Also, something like Deion Sanders' 'Sanders Claus' (http://www.sandersclaus.org/)organisation would be something I'd be interested in helping out with. Might not be a big thing, but something to help out someone in need on a more personal basis as well.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-20, 06:20 AM
1. Billionaire yes (millionaire no)

2. Hero no, but a philanthropist and good person yes

3. I'm 20 and a male.

ForzaFiori
2010-01-20, 06:32 AM
1) I wouldn't up and donate 500 mil. all at once, but over the course of my life I would probably come close

2) Not a hero.

3) 18/m

Jack Squat
2010-01-20, 07:07 AM
1. No; of course, setting something in a fund so that interest will go to a charity that I can see where the money's doing good will probably result in more money for them in the long run.

2. No, the word 'wasteful' comes to mind though

3. 20, Male.

Sneak
2010-01-20, 07:09 AM
1. No.
2. No.
3. 16, male.

loopy
2010-01-20, 07:11 AM
1. No.
2. No, a good person, but not a hero.
3. 22, male.

Thajocoth
2010-01-20, 07:29 AM

1 - If I was a billionaire, I wouldn't really have a use for all my money. I would donate some to a cause I believe in... But it's not one that technically counts as a charity. With a lot of what remains... I'm more likely to hire people myself to research things like cures and scientific advancements than I am to trust it to someone else. Which I guess means founding stuff rather than donating to anything. So... I guess not.

2 - I guess so. I don't really put too much thought into the word "hero" outside of fantasy. It just basically means "great person", doesn't it? Donating money your never gonna use anyway to people who need it is good. So, yeah, I guess.

3 - 27/m

thubby
2010-01-20, 07:33 AM
1) assuming i had that much as disposable income (as opposed to net worth) yes
2)no, it's no personal sacrifice. nice maybe, but it doesn't really impact me since i could never spend that much anyway.
3) 20, male.