PDA

View Full Version : 2 parties, 1 game

oxinabox
2010-01-19, 09:19 PM
Tell us about your experience running a gaem for two (or more?) parties in the same setting/game, at the same time.

I thought I'ld organise a game of nWoD:CtL for the holidays.
I knew i had 4 players who wouldn want to play.
some things happened, nobody could make the same sessions.
and then I get a call this morning, and suddenly I realise:
"I'm running two games for parties of two, with twoish plots in the same setting, that occationally collide"

PArty A contains to friends who i have spent ages roleplaying with up at uni.
experienced roleplayers and good rollplayers, make great backstories, - A Knight taken during the 13th century cusaides, a Olympic Pistol Shooter, taken just before the 2008 olymipic games.
Even there backstories contain strong combat ablity.

Party B contains my old friends from down south, the only role playing they've done is in games i've ran, and i don't run many down here in my home town.
Great guys, they roleplay ok, they don't rollplay, backstories: a Veterinarian who is very cool calm and collected, some very intersting hobbies including abit of computer hacking, and a surprising amount of chemesty (possibly the plainest backstory i've seen :smallamused:). and a Cop from the '80's who was went rogue and started killing of all the corupt cops who were helping the drug lords, before being forced into hiding. (a much more intersting backstory to me)
The two parties skill sets, well combined they have the skills to deal with anything, combat (close or ranged(), hacking, investigation.

I had a session where the Vet/Hacker was in the party with the Knight and the Marksman. His combat ablities were zilch, but he played the very important role of sneaking on the the computer system of the port security to authorise the parties entry, while the Olympian distacted the guard.

anyway, back on topic:
How have your games gone, when running two plots with two parties?