PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Designer God Reborn

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-19, 09:32 PM
Since my last optimization thread got bogged down by me facilitating a pointless argument between forums, I've changed my mind since then, I've decided to start a new thread for some more 4e optimization. This is a concept I've been wanting to play for a while, but haven't found a game to play it in:

Those of you familiar with the 4e cosmology (especially if you've read Manual of the Planes and Divine Power) might be familiar with the dead god, Amoth. In the distant past, Amoth was a power of justice and mercy, ruling from his dominion, Kalandurren. All that changed, however, when three demon princes, Orcus, Demogorgon and Rimmon, took advantage of a cosmological alignment and invaded Kalandurren. Amoth fought valiantly againts the demons, killing Rimmon in single combat and almost splitting Demogorgon in two. However, just as he was about to kill Demogorgon, Orcus snuck up behind Amoth and attacked. By the time the forces of the other gods arrived to drive the demons out, it was too late. Amoth was dead.

Today, Kalandurren is a cold, barren husk of its former glory. The gold and silver orbs that provided the dominion its light have grown dim, and no one lives there anymore except the Doomguard, who settled there after their exile from Sigil. They see it as the perfect symbol of their beliefs that chaos will invariably destroy all that attempt to impose order upon the multiverse. There are also some straggling demons and lunatic cultists who wander the plane trying to unlock the powers of Rimmon, who is burried in a heavily-warded cairn on the plane. That's all the books say on Amoth and his existence.

I was hoping to make my character based off this somewhat. My idea is that before Amoth's plane was invaded, he foresaw his own fall, and asked his divine allies for help, by secreting away a portion of his divine soul. This soul-shard would eventually be placed in the body of a child born in the mortal world. He would slowly relearn who he was, and when the time was right, become Amoth once again, and take back his domain and place among the gods. Obviously I want this to be my character.

The problem is I have no idea what he should be. This background could really fit anyone, though I think a divine class probably would make the most sense. What class do you think would work best for a reborn Amoth?

Cleric?
Paladin?
Avenger?
Invoker?

A class from some other power source?

I'm open to suggestions.

Xallace
2010-01-19, 09:42 PM
I want to say Invoker, what with the "encompassing a divine spark" flavor. Snag a domain feat or two related to Amoth, shoot for one of those "Avatar of..."s Epic Destinies.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-19, 11:20 PM
Invoker does work well, plus the only domain feats I know I could swing taking for Amoth would be the Justice ones, and Avatar of Justice seems to be made for Invokers.

What race and class features should I be looking at for this? What paragon path fits the idea of a god of justice and mercy?

Inyssius Tor
2010-01-19, 11:29 PM
Well, there's the Arbiter of Forgotten Justice (http://wizards.com/dnd/downloads/dragon/381/381_CA_Invoker.pdf). It's specifically for invokers who bear soul-shards of the dead god Amoth.

Kylarra
2010-01-19, 11:35 PM
Well I'd suggest a Dwarf, Covenant of Wrath, Vessel of Ichor PP (seems to fit both thematically with your idea and is a pretty nifty PP anyway) and then head to avatar of justice.

Mando Knight
2010-01-19, 11:45 PM
I'd go Deva Covenant of Preservation Invoker/Arbiter of Forgotten Justice/Avatar of Justice, if that's how you wanted to roll.

However, sometimes a god of justice just wants to walk up there and smite the vile unbeliever with a sword. For that, I'd recommend a good old Paladin of your favorite flavor.

Draz74
2010-01-19, 11:49 PM
Yeah, my first thought was Paladin, too.

Deva is a good idea, though. And Invoker multiclass could still be used, just to get into ideal PPs or EDs.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-20, 01:14 AM
Dude, there's a paragon path specifically for rebirthing Amoth?! SIGN ME UP! :smallbiggrin:

First I'll need to be able to get access to DDI. A friend of mine was letting me use his subscription, but I forgot the password, and I doubt my parents will be willing to pay for a subscription for me (they're the ones with the credit cards, y'see). :smallannoyed:

Would a paladin/invoker multiclass even work? Defenders and controllers seem like opposite sides of the spectrum, and they rely on completely different stats. :smallconfused:

Yakk
2010-01-20, 09:46 AM
Dude, there's a paragon path specifically for rebirthing Amoth?! SIGN ME UP! :smallbiggrin:

First I'll need to be able to get access to DDI. A friend of mine was letting me use his subscription, but I forgot the password, and I doubt my parents will be willing to pay for a subscription for me (they're the ones with the credit cards, y'see). :smallannoyed:

Would a paladin/invoker multiclass even work? Defenders and controllers seem like opposite sides of the spectrum, and they rely on completely different stats. :smallconfused:
Who says anything about they paying _for_ you? You hand them cash, they put it on their credit card.

For a few bucks you can get a single month subscription and download everything you want that month.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-20, 02:10 PM
Who says anything about they paying _for_ you? You hand them cash, they put it on their credit card.

For a few bucks you can get a single month subscription and download everything you want that month.

I suppose that would work, but I think they're reluctant to spend any more on me, regardless of whether or not I pay for it. My mother's concerned I have a problem.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-21, 08:47 PM
Payment options aside, I can't help but wonder at the suggestion of a paladin/invoker multiclass.

Isn't that a bit counter-intuitive? Paladins and Invokers have key stats that are on opposite sides of the spectrum. Paladins don't need Intelligence, and Wisdom is only a secondary stat for them, and Invokers do not need Strength or Charisma. Secondly, the invoker is the odd one out in terms of implements. While clerics, paladins and avengers can all use holy symbols, Invokers recieve the rod and the staff, which certainly doesn't comfort me (Bible reference!)

I'd be willing to give it a try, but it seems like this combo would be rather inefficient, even in 4e where you can build almost any sort of character and have them be effective.

Has anyone ever done a paladin/invoker before? I'm hesitant to ponder using hybrid rules because 1. The current hybrid rules are only available through DDI, which isn't an option for me at the moment, and 2. They feel somewhat unofficial to me at this point, as they're not in the books and aren't complete. When they're released (presumably in PHB 3), they'll obviously have been revised and edited, which might throw off any character building attempts at this current stage.

Shadow_Elf
2010-01-21, 10:45 PM
The most recent Hybrid rules released two days ago were the verbatim from the PH3. So no, at this point there will be no differences between the current DDi available hybrids and the PH3 printed Hybrids.

Also, better for your concept than Paladin and more synergistic with Invoker, is, IMHO, the Avenger. Paladins like to hit things with a metal stick - Avengers are good at hitting things with a metal stick, and have a WIS/INT build for full synergy.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-21, 10:49 PM
That sounds very good. Also, new hybrid rules were released two days ago? I thought the previews of hybrid rules in Dragon were back when DDI was still new. :smallconfused:

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-23, 01:24 AM
Well, the friend of mine who lets me use his subscription said it reminded me about the password, so I have access to DDI once again.

But the Invoker article you people told me about here apparently cannot be found. 404'd. :smallannoyed:

EDIT: False alarm, I was looking at the wrong article. Yes, this article has just what I'm looking for. Now, to try and figure out an avenger/invoker build. I'm hoping I can use multiclass feats for the powers described in the article, since that will help enhance the idea that this guy really is Amoth reborn, and of course the Arbiter of Forgotten Justice paragon path will work wonderfully.