PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Could I get that Paladin in Platinum?

PrismaticPIA
2010-01-19, 11:31 PM
I making an army of characters for a 3.5 13th level con-game and one of them needs be a Lawful-Buzzkill, Vassal of Bahamut.

My original concept is a Dragonel-rider with a passion for charging and blocking mind control with his chest (Steadfast Determination). What I need is a good list of items and ideas I haven't thought of.
Power gaming is fine since the Big Bad is CR 23, but try to keep within the confines of a bahamut lap-dog.

I'm open to all suggestions.

Kallisti
2010-01-19, 11:38 PM
Soulfire Armor is usually a good investment. Immunity to death effects...

Mando Knight
2010-01-19, 11:50 PM
Dragonborn of Bahamut is a must. Über-charger is a possibility, if you grab a lance and the appropriate feats. Another possibility is grabbing Divine Might (and possibly Divine Shield) for channeling Turn Undead into something else a little more utilitarian.

You should also consider going Cleric instead of Paladin. DMM Persist cheese makes a straight-up Cleric a better melee character than a Paladin thanks to burning Turn Undead to fuel Divine Power, while still granting you access to those juicy high-level spells.

herrhauptmann
2010-01-19, 11:51 PM
Blueshine armor and everybright weapons from MiC. Weapons now can't be damaged via acid or rust. Flat cost

Strongarm bracers: Wield a weapon 1 size larger than normal.

Gold/platinum weapon: Weapon counts as 1 size larger for purposes of damage (requires a feat or magic enhancement to use properly) Magic of Faerun (gold weapons can be damaged via acid/rust)

Anti-impact armor: Take half damage from falling, constriction "whole body bludgeoning damage" (me thinks a nuke engineer made up phrasing) Probably in ComWar or MiC

Blessed weapon: BoED version. Auto confirm crit

Retribution amulet: BoED version. Too expensive at 13th level I think, but nicer than the nerfed MiC version.

Retaliation armor: Nicer if you expect to get hit many times for small amounts of damage. (MIC)

Magebane weapon: ComArc or ComMag (also MiC). Earlier version affects creatures with SLA as well as arcane spells, invocations.

Fist of the Forest/Deepwarden PrC's. Get con to AC (and con mod as bonus to AC)

Dragonbane weapon (DMG)

Soulfire armor BoED is awesome. If your final enemy is CR23, expect to encounter something with level drain.

Look at alternate class features. Crystalkeep has a full list for each class. ex: A ranger fighting style focused on 2handed weapons, and another for barehanded combat.

JaronK
2010-01-20, 12:05 AM
Well, there's always Dragonwrought Kobold nonsense, with a bit of Dragonborn on top so you're doubly a dragon. Then be a Cleric/PrC Paladin/some other divine casting PrC, and use DMM to keep up Divine Power and a few other melee buffs. Use Holy Mount to make sure your mount is nice and powerful, and of course the feat that lets your mount be a Dragonelle, or perhaps a medium sized Gold Dragon. Pick up a Lance and go nuts. Don't forget Battle Blessing.

JaronK

PrismaticPIA
2010-01-20, 12:57 AM
Character must be paladin-based, and DM says no DMM-cheese. I'm going for more thematic than power gaming.

Dm's not big on sundering, so I'm not worried about rust. Soulfire sounds excellent.

What book is Holy Mount from? And what are the prereqs for a Gold Dragon mount?

Keep'em coming ^.^

JaronK
2010-01-20, 01:45 AM
Holy Mount is a Dragon Mag feat, it just means that all divine class levels stack for Paladin Mount purposes. When combined with the PrC Paladin, it gives you a mount that's better than the normal paladin mount.

JaronK

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-20, 05:01 AM
I'd probably go something like Paladin 2/ Sorcerer 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 1, with the final build going seven more Sacred Exorcist and then taking Vassal of Bahamut after level 20. He's an aspiring Vassal of Bahamut. Make him a +0 LA Aasimar (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a), for which you can delay spending a level on the +1 LA (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) until your 50th character level.

Plan on taking Sacred Vow and Vow of Obedience at levels 15 and 18. Say you gained your first Sacred Exorcist level after your third Abjurant Champion level to take Divine Might at level 12, and be sure to get Power Attack and Arcane Strike. Take Arcane Preparation to be able to use Sanctified spells (BoED).

Get a few Lesser Rods of Extend to use with Wraithstrike, since spontaneously cast spells with metamagic feats will only have an increased casting time if the normal casting time is a standard action or longer, so swift spells will still be a swift action to cast. Use a two-handed weapon with the Spell Storing property, and probably keep a (Lesser Rod of Maximized) Vampiric Touch or Shivering Touch stored in it. Cast Greater Luminous Armor each day for a +13 armor bonus, and use a Rod of Bodily Restoration from MIC to fix the Str damage it causes. Use Polymorph or even Draconic Polymorph from the Draconomicon to take the form of a Trumpet Archon in tough fights. Get Boots of Temporal Acceleration, and you can use them to gain two rounds of buffing (Shield (swift), (Draconic) Polymorph (standard), move, Solid Fog some opponents (Standard), Extended Wraithstrike (Swift), move) before returning to normal time with an entire round remaining to full attack with Power Attack, Arcane Strike, and Divine Might with Wraithstrike up.

Alternatively you could go with a (Cloistered) Cleric/Crusader into Prestige Paladin build, though without DMM: Persist tricks I'm not sure it would be worth it. Possibly make it an Illumian with the Naenhoon sigil to mimic DMM: Persist twice/day, though the DM may be a bit upset with that.

Soranar
2010-01-20, 05:55 AM
for a truly Paladin based build (and not just a dip)

go with lesser aasimar (compared to a venerable kobold, you save a feat for better/equal stats)

take paladin 5 than switch to ranger and take the devoted tracker feat

your smite stacks with ranger
your mount becomes your animal companion

and moon-warded ranger (combat style is delayed , you gain your feat at level 6 and 11 and you never gain mastery) gains his Wisdom to AC in light armor (and you can use a shield too)

and take the mounted combat combat style (you don't need trample with a dragon mount)

use a lance, charge/smite for lots of damage (favored ennemy damage is also doubled or tripled depending on your feats) and you get flying from the mount

Cyclocone
2010-01-20, 06:32 AM
Dragonborn Warforged with Warforged Paladin substitution levels.

Champions of Valor also has a ton of Paladin sub-levels that lets you swap all those useless pally class-features for stuff you can actually use.

It also has the Sword of the Arcane order feat that lets you cast Wizard spells from your pally slots -did someone say Wraithstrike?

Also, there's Dragonslayer if you wanna fight them Chromatics.