PDA

View Full Version : Possible repercussions for MiTD checking in on O'Chul?

RebelT
2010-01-20, 12:27 AM
One of my first posts on here so forgive me if this has been discussed, but after the happenings in strip 700, does anyone else forsee this as a problem for the Order and their allies?

If MITD succeeds in scrying on O'Chul and the Paladins, this seems like it could be very bad. Of course, I assume Xykon could check in on them anytime he wanted, but it seems to me that something is being setup that Tsukiko and the MiTD will stumble upon O'Chul/OOTS doing something that Xykon will find unsatisfactory.....

Am I the only one thinking this is a possibility? Is it too obvious to even be talked about, and I just need to continue not posting?

Conuly
2010-01-20, 12:31 AM
I suppose it's possible, but at *best* they think of the MitD as, what, some sort of *pet*? Even if they are able to peg him as the one who escaped the good guys (no matter how much he talks about it, are they gonna believe him? he hasn't shown any use before this), they might still figure that it's easy enough to manipulate him into doing what THEY want by just tossing him stew and toys.

If they even think long enough about it to care. They're all a little self-centered, aren't they?

Katana_Geldar
2010-01-20, 12:34 AM
But can Tsukio scry using caster? Does she have Epic level spells?

RebelT
2010-01-20, 12:36 AM
I suppose it's possible, but at *best* they think of the MitD as, what, some sort of *pet*? Even if they are able to peg him as the one who escaped the good guys (no matter how much he talks about it, are they gonna believe him? he hasn't shown any use before this), they might still figure that it's easy enough to manipulate him into doing what THEY want by just tossing him stew and toys.

If they even think long enough about it to care. They're all a little self-centered, aren't they?

Great point, but what I'm referring to is that Tsukiko may see something while scrying and report it to Xykon. They may not believe MiTD, but they would believe Tsukiko, and that could be enough to alert Xykon.

Of course, along with being self-centered, Xykon is also very arrogant, and probably won't care what they are doing.

Thunderbuckets
2010-01-20, 12:42 AM
If this does work, though, like Katana_Gelder inferred, then we'll at least be able to see if the Cloister effect has worn off — Tsukiko is almost certainly not epic, and O-Chul was present (I think) when the spell was cast originally.

RebelT
2010-01-20, 01:08 AM
If this does work, though, like Katana_Gelder inferred, then we'll at least be able to see if the Cloister effect has worn off — Tsukiko is almost certainly not epic, and O-Chul was present (I think) when the spell was cast originally.

Good point.

JonestheSpy
2010-01-20, 02:19 AM
Well, it seems likely that if Tsukiko does manage to scry O-Chul, they's either see he and Lien riding a shark in the middle of the ocean or walking northward in some random country, depending on how fast he's been able to travel. Probably nothing too valuable datawise, but it might go badly if Team Evil realizes just what good buddies the MitD and O-Chul are.

Beorn080
2010-01-20, 02:21 AM
Well, it seems likely that if Tsukiko does manage to scry O-Chul, they's either see he and Lien riding a shark in the middle of the ocean or walking northward in some random country, depending on how fast he's been able to travel. Probably nothing too valuable datawise, but it might go badly if Team Evil realizes just what good buddies the MitD and O-Chul are.

That could actually end very badly for O-Chul if MitD sees him on a shark. He's seen that sharks + O-Chul = biting, and could possibly use his escape ability again remotely, bringing O-Chul back to Team Evil. Fairly unlikely, but a possibility.

Katana_Geldar
2010-01-20, 02:53 AM
This could also mean, if Redcloak and Xykon find out, that they change their minds and go to Kraagor's gate instead.

i6uuaq
2010-01-20, 03:04 AM
This could also mean, if Redcloak and Xykon find out, that they change their minds and go to Kraagor's gate instead.

one word. "prophecy".

Vemynal
2010-01-20, 03:11 AM

rather they could see O'chul going to the dwarfen gate and go to the desert gate thinking to avoid everyone

Fish
2010-01-20, 03:36 AM
I'm thinking something else.

Tsukiko won't tell Xykon or Redcloak what she sees. Why not?

She will scry on O-Chul and, as a result, learn more about the plan with the Gates. (What gate?) This will tell her more about the spell Xykon has her researching. She doesn't need either of them; she's arcane and divine in one.

Totally Guy
2010-01-20, 06:16 AM
Isn't O'Chul still shielded by the Cloister?

Ancalagon
2010-01-20, 06:28 AM
Isn't O'Chul still shielded by the Cloister?

Probably yes. But we do not know how much time has passed. Maybe enough for the cloister to wear off?

The Succubus
2010-01-20, 08:24 AM
I predict this evolving into a close friendship between MiTD and Tsukiko, eventually becoming something more....

TriForce
2010-01-20, 08:36 AM
one word. "prophecy".

1 word : Overrated

altough the general consensus on this forum is that the oracle CANT ever be wrong, this is a case where some doubt is needed, since the gods have a "no interference" attitude concerning the gate, and the oracle gets his prophecy from tiamat, it could very well be wrong, intentionally or otherwise

SoC175
2010-01-20, 12:51 PM
1 word : Overrated

altough the general consensus on this forum is that the oracle CANT ever be wrong, this is a case where some doubt is needed, since the gods have a "no interference" attitude concerning the gate, and the oracle gets his prophecy from tiamat, it could very well be wrong, intentionally or otherwise However he knew that Xykon would go to the Azure City gate first

Neopolis
2010-01-20, 01:50 PM
I predict this evolving into a close friendship between MiTD and Tsukiko, eventually becoming something more....
Oh, great. MitD was powerful enough with level draining abilities. :smallannoyed:

Fish
2010-01-20, 03:57 PM
Something else occurs to me.

1. O-Chul told Redcloak that Girard's Gate is hidden by lies and deception and illusions, which appears to be true, but Redcloak thinks O-Chul was lying.
2. Haley thinks Girard's message is true, because a double-bluff only works when the listener is prepared to believe you're lying.

It would be really funny to see Redcloak and Xykon's response to Girard's message. Maybe scrying on O-Chul (somehow) gets R and X to follow the OOTS out into the desert...

Moriarty
2010-01-20, 04:03 PM
one word. "prophecy".

well the prophecy only states Xykon will be in a certain radius around girards gate first. however with the gate guarded by illusions it is certainly possible to be in said proximity without actually finding the gate.

Kish
2010-01-20, 04:05 PM
well the prophecy only states Xykon will be in a certain radius around girards gate first. however with the gate guarded by illusions it is certainly possible to be in said proximity without actually finding the gate.
Xykon being within a thousand feet of Girard's Gate, and deciding that the best way to deal with its defenses is to pick up and move to Kraagor's Gate, is...

...well, ten gold says he won't, that's all.

Katana_Geldar
2010-01-20, 04:31 PM
Something else occurs to me.

1. O-Chul told Redcloak that Girard's Gate is hidden by lies and deception and illusions, which appears to be true, but Redcloak thinks O-Chul was lying.
2. Haley thinks Girard's message is true, because a double-bluff only works when the listener is prepared to believe you're lying.

It would be really funny to see Redcloak and Xykon's response to Girard's message. Maybe scrying on O-Chul (somehow) gets R and X to follow the OOTS out into the desert...

Serini has the real coordinates in her journal that Xykon has (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0695.html)

Lunawarrior0
2010-01-20, 04:48 PM

I think this is exactly what the title "They would likely both disagree with that sentiment" refers to, since that is implied at the beginning of the strip.

Fish
2010-01-20, 05:38 PM
Serini has the real coordinates in her journal that Xykon has (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0695.html)
That's the best part. O-Chul told them the coordinates were in the diary that Xykon carries around. Girard says it too. And Redcloak KNOWS it must be a lie so he won't believe it.

Fish
2010-01-22, 12:04 PM
Does Monster-San even know O-Chul's real name?

Shale
2010-01-22, 12:12 PM
Yes, he does. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0654.html)

Morthis
2010-01-22, 12:13 PM

Wait, why would Xykon (who is calling the shots) care even the slightest he might meet opposition at a gate? He's far more powerful than the opposition anyway, and he'd probably find fighting them to be pretty amusing.

mizzim
2010-01-22, 03:31 PM
one word. "prophecy".

and yet, the oracle won't be responsible if the plot order gets screwed up. Xykon will see that only 2 paladins are at Kraagor's gate, and assume that the other paladins are at Girard's gate. He'll go to Kraagor's.

adibobo
2010-01-22, 03:31 PM
Or, you know, Xykon might learn about O-chul's location from Tsukiko, and decide to kill the guy who threw his phylachery in the ocean/sewers/water themed dungeon

Asta Kask
2010-01-22, 03:37 PM
Xykon could probably kill MitD if he chose to, even if it would be a difficult fight. So if he believes that themonster has betrayed him... no more monster. Which I frankly can't see. (Unless the monster teleports away and joins the good guys.)

Gopher
2010-01-22, 03:59 PM
My prediction:
O-Chul is still under the effect of the cloister, so Tsukiko will fail to locate him. This will lead MiTD to assume he's dead. This will, in turn, be the wakeup call he needs to finally rethink his affiliation with Team Evil*.

*probably an understatement

Morthis
2010-01-22, 09:43 PM
I just want to know what comic the people who think Xykon will pick the gate with the least opposition are watching. You're telling me Xykon would go into all kinds of planning specifically to avoid a fight? If anything he'd take extra steps to ensure he gets to fight/kill something, not the other way around.

rainbowjo
2010-01-22, 10:41 PM
Has no one considered that whatever Tsukiko finds out, if she vocalizes that she intends to do anything with it that would bring O-chul to hard, MitD will stop her? I doubt one caster and a handful of wights would be able to bring him down.

derfenrirwolv
2010-01-22, 10:44 PM
Xykon is heading for Girards gate no matter what, the oracle said so.

eggynack
2010-01-26, 03:49 AM
Actually the prophecy only said that Xykon would travel to Girard's gate first. It never said that it would be the first one he would attack. he could theoretically take a long way around and accidentally pass through Girard's gate's airspace (I'm not really sure as the map isn't exactly well defined) or he could first teleport to Girard's gate before going to Kraggor's in order to directly harm the Oracle's prophecy. I'm not saying it's likely, just that there is a fragment of a possibility.

Brendan
2010-01-26, 10:34 PM
and yet, the oracle won't be responsible if the plot order gets screwed up. Xykon will see that only 2 paladins are at Kraagor's gate, and assume that the other paladins are at Girard's gate. He'll go to Kraagor's Girard's.

fixed that for you. think about it. this is Xykon. Xykon likes to kill. Xykon doesn't plan. he would go to the one with the soon to be corpses. the more the merrier.

Nimrod's Son
2010-01-26, 11:12 PM
and yet, the oracle won't be responsible if the plot order gets screwed up. Xykon will see that only 2 paladins are at Kraagor's gate, and assume that the other paladins are at Girard's gate. He'll go to Kraagor's.
Xykon killed almost all the paladins. Seeing two at Kraagor's gate is not going to make him think there's an army of them at Girard's.

And when the Oracle refused to take responsibility for the plot order getting screwed up, he meant that he wasn't responsible if the story got ruined because the Order went to Girard's gate and stood around there doing nothing while Xykon attacked Azure City. You seem to have read it as the Oracle saying "I'm taking no responsibility for being wrong about this, but I think he'll go to Girard's gate first," - which is really not the case. The Oracle is infallible, by definition, and so Xykon's definitely going to Girard's gate first.

Actually the prophecy only said that Xykon would travel to Girard's gate first. It never said that it would be the first one he would attack. he could theoretically take a long way around and accidentally pass through Girard's gate's airspace
Hugely unlikely. Xykon knows where both the gates are: Girard's to the west of him, Kraagor's to the north. If he wanted to go to the gate in the north, he wouldn't go about it by heading due west for many hundreds of miles before changing his course.

or he could first teleport to Girard's gate before going to Kraggor's in order to directly harm the Oracle's prophecy. I'm not saying it's likely, just that there is a fragment of a possibility.
I don't see much story merit in him popping up at Girard's and then immediately taking off for Kraagor's without at least attempting to take the gate over. That would be utterly bizarre. Its only purpose would be for the author to say "Hah! Fooled You!" to the readers, while completely undermining all the foreshadowing he'd done up to this point. That "technique" is the domain of utterly talentless writers, and well beneath the standard that Rich has set so far.