PDA

View Full Version : Coolest living spell?

AustontheGreat1
2010-01-20, 03:32 AM
Whats the coolest spell (4th level or lower) to add a living spell template too for my spell sovereign familiar?

My first thought was a living major image, but I wasn't sure how that would work...

Longcat
2010-01-20, 03:34 AM
Living Polymorph is pretty awesome.
Living Black Tentacles can give you the hentai feeling you always wanted.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-20, 03:37 AM
Living Vigorous Circle? Living Black Tentacles? Living Prestidigitation?

And don't forget to apply metamagics to the spell. I like Invisible.

FishAreWet
2010-01-20, 03:55 AM
Damn, I was hoping for Living Miracles. (my personal favorite...)

jcsw
2010-01-20, 03:59 AM
Offensively, Defensterating Sphere combos well with their Engulf ability, especially if you buff its speed. Simply move over an enemy and they get randomly tossed into another square where you can toss them again.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-20, 04:29 AM
Shivering Touch from Frostburn, it deals 3d6 Dex damage per hit....

Touch of Years in Complete Mage is just downright mean to hit someone every round with.

Longcat
2010-01-20, 04:52 AM
Living Shadow Conjuration
Living Summon Monster/Undead IV

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-20, 05:04 AM
Can mage armor be the target of living spell? An ooze pet for armor would be neat.

olelia
2010-01-20, 07:45 AM
Except you know the whole slamming part to apply the spell.

Buff me!
<thud>
Crud..critted...but at least you have the armor now!

BobVosh
2010-01-20, 07:48 AM
I always find you can have a lot of fun with tensers floating discs that are ALIVE!!!!

Bayar
2010-01-20, 07:54 AM
Living Reverse Gender spell.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 07:57 AM
Okay, just to prevent any more silliness in this thread, here are the rules for creating a living spell.

CREATING A LIVING SPELL

“Living spell” is an unusual template, in that it is applied to an arcane or divine spell effect (or in some cases, a group of spell effects) and not to a creature. The characteristics of a living spell are determined by the nature of the spell(s), including the caster level of the spells. The template can be applied to any spells that create an area or effect (not targeted spells), but not a spell whose effect is already a creature (such as a summon monster spell).

A living spell composed of more than one spell uses the same caster level for all its spell effects.
Attack: A living spell gains a slam attack it can use once per round. The slam attack deals damage based on the living spell’s size—Medium 1d4, Large 1d6, or Huge 1d8—plus 1-1/2 times its Strength bonus. A successful slam attack also affects the target as though it was within the spell effect, with normal saving throws applying.

So no living Shivering Touch, and no living Summon X. A living Prestidigitation would clean (or soil) things it hits with its slam attack. No living Mage Armors, as that is a targeted spell.

Living Defenestrating Sphere would knock things over (and toss them in the air) with its slam attack.

paddyfool
2010-01-20, 07:59 AM
Living Phantasmal Killer? Not all that powerful, but ace fluff-wise, particularly if you're non-good.

Heh. Ninja taught me this is illegal.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 08:00 AM
Living Phantasmal Killer? Not all that powerful, but ace fluff-wise, particularly if you're non-good.

Targeted, so impossible.

paddyfool
2010-01-20, 08:04 AM
I'm guessing we should limit ourselves to the sorc/wiz list too, based on the OP's request.

2xMachina
2010-01-20, 08:16 AM
Living Fireball

subject42
2010-01-20, 08:18 AM
Living grease would be nice.

bosssmiley
2010-01-20, 08:41 AM
Living cone of cold, of course.

(QI-style "obvious answer is obvious" klaxon sounds)

AustontheGreat1
2010-01-20, 08:54 AM
Okay, just to prevent any more silliness in this thread, here are the rules for creating a living spell.

as for the second question, would a living major image work? and if so what would it do if it hit?

Whats the coolest spell
(4th level or lower) to add a living spell template too for my spell sovereign familiar?

My first thought was a living major image, but I wasn't sure how that would work...

:smallwink:

Cyclocone
2010-01-20, 09:12 AM
Living Detect Thoughts.

Because, hey, haven't you ever just wanted to know?

Sliver
2010-01-20, 09:17 AM
What is the point of the living spell knowing what the creatures it attacks think?

Won't some area debuffs or battlefield control spells would be nice as living spells?

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 09:18 AM
as for the second question, would a living major image work? and if so what would it do if it hit?

It would be an ooze with a slam attack and engulf, that would look like just about anything else. If it hit somebody and they made their will save, they would recognize that the image isn't real, but that would not stop the ooze from doing any damage.

Living Detect Thoughts.

Because, hey, haven't you ever just wanted to know?

That one, I would guess, would allow its creator to detect the thoughts of anyone hit with the slam on a failed save, provided he is within range of the fracas.

Cyclocone
2010-01-20, 09:27 AM
That one, I would guess, would allow its creator to detect the thoughts of anyone hit with the slam on a failed save, provided he is within range of the fracas.

It beats people up to make them tell you everything?

I suppose you'd have to play Jack Bauer to take full advantage of that. Or a Cabinet Trickster/Mindspy.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 09:28 AM
It beats people up to make them tell you everything?

I suppose you'd have to play Jack Bauer to take full advantage of that. Or a Cabinet Trickster/Mindspy.

It's not as helpful as it sounds - the spell only reads surface thoughts, which I imagine would be the same for anyone getting mauled by a giant magical ooze.

"AAAAARRRRRGGGHH!!!! WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??"

2xMachina
2010-01-20, 09:29 AM
I don't think BC's will be that useful. BC's point was mass effect.

But living spell just hits 1 fella per round. Living grease will make 1 fella flat footed per round max. I'd rather just cast grease and catch them all.

Hmm, that said, I don't think living spell is of much use. Making an area effect spell hit 1 target per round isn't very powerful. Area effects' whole point was mass effect.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 09:33 AM
I don't think BC's will be that useful. BC's point was mass effect.

But living spell just hits 1 fella per round. Living grease will make 1 fella flat footed per round max. I'd rather just cast grease and catch them all.

Hmm, that said, I don't think living spell is of much use. Making an area effect spell hit 1 target per round isn't very powerful. Area effects' whole point was mass effect.

Actually, they can hit multiple opponents. Here's the bit I forgot to mention:

Engulf (Ex): A living spell can flow around creatures that fit within its space as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The living spell merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against the living spell, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 10 + living spell’s level + living spell’s Cha modifier) or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the spell moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the full normal effect of the spell(s) each round on the living spell’s turn, and are considered to be grappled and trapped within its body.

In addition, they have one advantage over actual spells - namely, that they have no duration, and so live forever. Create a living Grease the night before, you have a free slot the next day, etc.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-20, 09:35 AM
Hmm... any good utility spells we can use?

2xMachina
2010-01-20, 09:38 AM
Ah. Ok that's very good then. A single slam attack doesn't do much, but the engulf is good.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 09:49 AM
Hmm... any good utility spells we can use?

As suggested earlier, Defenestrating Sphere is a good one, as it has a chance to knock creatures prone just by using its slam attack, without needing a trip attempt. The fog line is also good (particularly Acid Fog) as the concealment they grant applies to themselves, they can move with creatures to keep them inside, and the reduction in move speed means even creatures with escape artist won't be able to get free. (Escape the Grapple, move 5 feet - you are still inside the fog, and are grappled again.) Because they are creatures, wind won't disperse them either.

The Deej
2010-01-20, 10:00 AM
Here's a strange thought: would it possible to make a living Antimagic field?

And wouldn't a living whirling blade be kinda strange.

Indon
2010-01-20, 10:18 AM
Would Magnificent Mansion or Rope Trick work? *Whack* and you're teleported to a leisurely resting location.

Living Permanency isn't level 4 or lower, and is a grey area anyway, Living Consecrate would be a Cleric spell, and Living Heroes' Feast would have all of those problems.

Living Dispel Magic.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 10:23 AM
Living Disjunction :smallsigh: Rust monster on steroids.

Merk
2010-01-20, 10:25 AM
Whispering Wind. You get hit, and suddenly voices tell you things.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 10:27 AM
Whispering Wind. You get hit, and suddenly voices tell you things.

It could just engulf you to relay the message. Note that engulfing does no damage. I think the message would stay constant once the ooze is created, however.

potatocubed
2010-01-20, 10:32 AM
So there you are, strolling down a street in Sharn, when suddenly a huge ooze oozes through, glopping over everyone in sight. In its wake, you hear a strange voice whispering in your ear:

"Come to Bargain Bill's for the best cheap adventuring gear!"

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-20, 10:36 AM
Maw of Chaos. All of a sudden, it's slams deal 17d6 and Save or Dazed unless the victim has the Chaotic subtype.

BTW, it's possible to get a Living Miracle. You just need Shadowcraft Mage shenanigans.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 10:39 AM
You can get a living Miracle with the base spell, by just using one of the "area" usages. For instance, send your living Miracle to a village, it engulfs it - the village is protected from an Earthquake, Flood or other disaster.

A living Miracle that slams your allies to revive them, however, would not be possible (that usage targets the allies like a raise spell would.)

Duke of URL
2010-01-20, 10:39 AM
Since it has an area application, I would think dispel magic could work, too. Potential de-buffing (literally) with each hit.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-20, 10:44 AM
Aww. No Baleful Polymorph :smallfrown:

Can we metamagic it to work? I want an ooze minion that turns things into chickens by hitting them. :smalleek:

Spell sovereign is from what dragon mag again?

Sliver
2010-01-20, 10:44 AM
I must say, the picture of the living blasphemy looks pretty sweet.. How about combining glitterdust with something like color spray for a low level living spell.. It will have a CR of 3 for the minimum level..

How would a PC be able to create one anyway?

Cyclocone
2010-01-20, 10:46 AM
Hmmm, what about a Living Energy Transformation Field? Is that possible?

'Cause a living area-effect that Mindrapes anyone who tries to cast inside it would be kinda neat.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 10:51 AM

Survey says yes. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ls/20061026a)

@ Duke of URL - living Dispel is in here too (both targeted and area versions, with some caveats to make the targeted one legal.)

Fishy
2010-01-20, 11:18 AM
Wait, hang on, I wrote this down...

Living (Fell Animating Uttercold Iceknife) + Desecrate + Unhallow

Anything it hits takes damage that's half cold and half negative energy.

Anything that it kills rises as a zombie, with the benefits from Desecrate built in.

Any zombies it Engulfs get Freedom of Movement, Magic Circle Against Good, +2 to attacks, a ton of turn resistance, and an Uttercold Iceknife to the face every round.

Add in the Sentry Ooze template and some Corpsecrafter feats, and you're golden.

Also, Living Spells with the Sentry Ooze template have ridiculous CHA and WIS scores.

Also, a Living Deathwatch with the Pseudonatural template is an Outsider with the [Evil] subtype, 3 INT, and only one HD. It can take class levels, and it can qualify for Fiend of Possession at level 4.

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-20, 11:21 AM
Living Color spray at low levels is NASTY.

AustontheGreat1
2010-01-20, 11:57 AM
Spell sovereign is from what dragon mag again?

issue #357

you can make a ray a living spell, right? they did it with disintigrate.

Im thinking i might do a living maximized ray of clumsiness.

Mewtarthio
2010-01-20, 12:40 PM
Living Shatter. It's a giant ooze with the magical power to break glass by attacking it! Ooh, and it can also destroy porcelain, ceramics, and other brittle things!

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-20, 01:09 PM
Living Shatter. It's a giant ooze with the magical power to break glass by attacking it! Ooh, and it can also destroy porcelain, ceramics, and other brittle things!

My Mind!:eek:

taltamir
2010-01-20, 01:37 PM
Whats the coolest spell (4th level or lower) to add a living spell template too for my spell sovereign familiar?

coolest or most powerful?

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-20, 02:08 PM
for low level, I'd have to second living color spray. Taste the Rainbow ****er!!

for high level (near epic) i'd say Living Phantasmal Killer/Living Weird or a Living Summon Monster (Insert level here).

Living summon monster: every strike, a monster is summoned.

Duke of URL
2010-01-20, 02:11 PM
for high level (near epic) i'd say Living Phantasmal Killer/Living Weird or a Living Summon Monster (Insert level here).

Weird would work. The others are ineligible to be living spells.

Sliver
2010-01-20, 02:16 PM
Living summon monster: every strike, a monster is summoned.

That is specifically called out by the template as a thing that doesn't work..

Duke of URL - You mean color spray can't be alive? WHY?!

Bagelz
2010-01-20, 02:17 PM

^this,
and prismatic wall, invisibilty sphere, but most importantly ANTIMAGIC FEILD

AustontheGreat1
2010-01-20, 02:20 PM
coolest or most powerful?

Both :smallsmile:

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-20, 02:23 PM

Living Weird??? Isn't that a TPK waiting to happen?

Irreverent Fool
2010-01-20, 02:23 PM

As far as I know there are no listed ways to create one on purpose.

Edit: See AustontheGreat1's post below

I like the idea of a small group of Living Solid Fog, myself... just for annoyance factor.

obnoxious
sig

AustontheGreat1
2010-01-20, 02:26 PM

The prestige class Spell Soveraign lets you create some temporarily and it lets you have one as a familiar. At 10th level you can have a 4th level spell as a familiar

Spell Soveraign is in Dragon #357

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 02:27 PM

Actually, it wouldn't - Weird is not an area spell, just one with multiple targets.

Wail of the Banshee, however, would.

AustontheGreat1
2010-01-20, 02:36 PM

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-20, 02:42 PM

In that case, Reached Baleful polymorph, with metamagic reducers?
I, I can has? :(

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 02:48 PM
In that case, Reached Baleful polymorph, with metamagic reducers?
I, I can has? :(

Sadly no, as touch spells (even those given reach) still have targets - they are now just targeted at range.

Cicciograna
2010-01-20, 02:48 PM
Living Major Image. With caster's semblance.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-20, 03:03 PM
Sadly no, as touch spells (even those given reach) still have targets - they are now just targeted at range.

My X-mas is now dead :smallfrown::smalleek::smallsigh:

Mastikator
2010-01-20, 03:16 PM
Living Gate? Everytime it hits someone a dimensional portal is opened.
Living Symbol of?
Living Reverse Gravity?
Living Major Creation?
Living Darkness? Attack the darkness?

Which ones of these work?

Starscream
2010-01-20, 03:35 PM
Living Slime Wave would be horrific. It's an ooze that leaves more oozes wherever it goes.

Living Whirlwind would be sweet. A cross between an ooze and a great big air elemental.

Ooh...living Manyjaws. I like that. And I shall make sure that the living spell is yellow and round. And I shall call him Pac-Man, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my Pac-Man.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 03:48 PM
Living Gate? Everytime it hits someone a dimensional portal is opened.
Living Symbol of?
Living Reverse Gravity?
Living Major Creation?

Which ones of these work?

A Living Gate would work (the travel version) and plane shift people it whacks/engulfs. A wandering Gate would make a great campaign hook.

Living Symbols work, but again must hit/engulf creatures to trigger their effects, rather than simply being seen as normal.

Living Reserve Gravity - the area of the spell becomes the ooze itself, so they won't "fall" very far.

Living Major Creation - Goozelem!

Living Darkness - the ooze itself has the darkness benefits (concealment, etc.) without being subject to them itself.

Duke of URL
2010-01-20, 03:48 PM
That is specifically called out by the template as a thing that doesn't work..

Duke of URL - You mean color spray can't be alive? WHY?!

Color spray is fine, it's an area effect.

That got a LOL from me.

deuxhero
2010-01-20, 03:55 PM
Living Darkness - the ooze itself has the darkness benefits (concealment, etc.) without being subject to them itself.

How does Magic Missile work on it?

Living Wish?

Holocron Coder
2010-01-20, 03:58 PM
I still support my Living Bard Spell (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4751966#post4751966) :smallbiggrin::smallcool:

Mastikator
2010-01-20, 03:59 PM
Living Crushing Hand, a big floating hand that goes around and smacks people up the head.

Bibliomancer
2010-01-20, 04:10 PM
A living invisibility sphere would be rather interesting.

Living Legion of Sentinels (PHBII) might be mistaken, at first, for a group of normal soldiers.

Living Storm of Fire and Ice (from the Complete Mage or Complete Arcane) would be flashy but mostly harmless, since the spell description neglects mention anything special about the two types of energy interacting, so they cancel. It's a waste of a 6th level spell, but has a good name.

lsfreak
2010-01-20, 04:35 PM
Living Storm of Fire and Ice (from the Complete Mage or Complete Arcane) would be flashy but mostly harmless, since the spell description neglects mention anything special about the two types of energy interacting, so they cancel. It's a waste of a 6th level spell, but has a good name.

In D&D fire and ice don't cancel each other out unless specifically mentioned. The spell is perfectly clear: 6d6 fire, 6d6 cold, and the next round there is fog as a result of the mixing.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 04:58 PM
Why would they cancel? Changing someone's body temperature that drastically in such a short time should be even worse than enduring just one or the other extreme.

A living invisibility sphere would be rather interesting.

That would be a great way to kidnap people. The targets get engulfed, and are subject to the invisibility - the ooze then drags them away, unseen by their companions.

Combine with Silence, and they can't even scream.

Bibliomancer
2010-01-20, 05:19 PM
Why would they cancel? Changing someone's body temperature that drastically in such a short time should be even worse than enduring just one or the other extreme.

Sorry, I was basing this assuption off the specific case of Chill Metal:

Any heat intense enough to damage the creature negates cold damage from the spell (and vice versa) ona point-for-point basis. For example, if the damage roll from a chill metal spell indicates 5 points of cold damage and the subject plunges through a wall of fire in the same round and takes 8 points of fire damage, it winds up taking no cold damage and only 3 points of fire damage.

as well as the benefit description in the feat Energy Admixture from the Complete Arcane:

Even opposed types of energy (such as fire and cold) can be combined using this feat.

However, on reflection it is obvious that the nature of a uniform energy release such as chill metal and wall of fire is very different from the effect produced by a Storm of Fire and Ice spell. Thanks for the clarification.

That would be a great way to kidnap people. The targets get engulfed, and are subject to the invisibility - the ooze then drags them away, unseen by their companions.

Combine with Silence, and they can't even scream.

It is possible to combine 2 different living spells, based on one of the sample creatures (a combined slay living and crushing despair, CR13) from Five Nations.

If you added Plane Shift or Teleport, you could have a nearly automatic way of relocating someone.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 05:22 PM
It is possible to combine 2 different living spells, based on one of the sample creatures (a combined slay living and crushing despair, CR13) from Five Nations.

I'm aware it's possible - I'm the one who posted (most of) the rules text on page 1. :smallsmile:

Mercenary Pen
2010-01-20, 05:35 PM
The coolest Living Spell (as far as I know) was created in the Homebrew section of these hallowed forums (sorry evil-aligned forumites) by Afroakuma as the result of the thread Vote up a Villain 7 and involved multiple spells (including Guards and Wards) to become basically its own dungeon.

CR15 though, so it won't be much help to the OP (unless they do any DMing). It is, however, much more fun than any of your straightforward single-spell living spells.

Leon
2010-01-20, 05:44 PM
Living Bones of the Earth - Leaves a trail of stone pillars in its wake

Yucca
2010-01-20, 05:57 PM
It's been mentioned, but you don't get much cooler than a living prestidigitation.
SMACK; you're orange for the next hour
BANG; have fun tasting like pine needles
BOFF; you are now slightly warmer for a little while
The sky's the limit!

I also like a living delayed blast fireball. It hits you then you explode 30 seconds later.

Bibliomancer
2010-01-20, 06:00 PM
I'm aware it's possible - I'm the one who posted (most of) the rules text on page 1. :smallsmile:

I just added the clarification because I wasn't sure how clear the rules were about the possibility of combining spells (although, in retrospect, the fact that there is a glitterdust combined with pyrotechnics or some such in the ECS makes this rather obvious). Sorry about the redundancy.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 06:01 PM
It's been mentioned, but you don't get much cooler than a living prestidigitation.
SMACK; you're orange for the next hour
BANG; have fun tasting like pine needles
BOFF; you are now slightly warmer for a little while
The sky's the limit!

Dirty
Clean
Dirty
Clean
Dead

jiriku
2010-01-20, 06:03 PM
Serious
Living reduce person+ray of enfeeblement. The combined impact of size reduction and strength penalties inflict a -8 to -10 penalty to the victim's grapple check to escape being engulfed.

Not So Serious
Living reduce person+prestidigitation. Victims are shrunk down and have their skin turned blue while their garments become shiny white.

Bibliomancer
2010-01-20, 06:03 PM
Dirty
Clean
Dirty
Clean
Dead
Pine Fresh. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0526.html)

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 06:06 PM
Not So Serious
Living reduce person+prestidigitation. Victims are shrunk down and have their skin turned blue while their garments become shiny white.

What you did there - I see it.

(And approve)

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-20, 06:12 PM
Living Locate City Bomb. Have your DM cry while your 90 mile wide ooze destroys his campaing world :smalltongue:

Edit: Nevermind, just looked up living spell and discovered that it doesn't work that way.

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-01-20, 06:35 PM
Living Black Tentacles can give you the hentai feeling you always wanted.

Squick aside, there is no better 4th for a sorc/wiz that comes to mind.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 06:43 PM

It's also impossible.

Irreverent Fool
2010-01-20, 06:52 PM
Living Locate City Bomb. Have your DM cry while your 90 mile wide ooze destroys his campaing world :smalltongue:

Edit: Nevermind, just looked up living spell and discovered that it doesn't work that way.

Neither does the Locate City Bomb.

obnoxious
sig

Beleriphon
2010-01-20, 07:32 PM
I'm just going to say this once, and only because it doesn't fit within the asked question: Living Mage's Disjunction, apply metamagic as needed.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-20, 08:54 PM
Regardless of weather LCB works on its own, in this context its application could be intresting. Use the wraith-ocalypse version for an ooze that causes the targets it engulfs to lose a level each round they're engulfed.

Zaydos
2010-01-20, 08:59 PM
Living enervation could be nice.

It works whether the CL of your living spell familiar is minimum for the spell level (which is meh) or CL equals yours (which is w00t epic feats). I could never figure out which from the Dragon Magazine. If it's the former avoid a spell that relies heavily caster level (such as Evard's Black Tentacles) and regardless the save DC of any spell you do choose is going to be rather low (16 or 17, I believe) and at epic levels fairly ignorable. Engulf will also have a rather easy to avoid Ref save if they choose to bother to avoid it instead of attacking it when it tries.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-20, 10:06 PM
Living Apoc from the Sky?

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-20, 10:10 PM
Living Fabricate would be cool. Every time you explored ancient ruins, you'd leave behind a pristine temple or city. Well, if fabricate was a legal option, which it isn't. Which sucks :smallfrown:

shadow_archmagi
2010-01-20, 10:13 PM
Living Fabricate would be cool. Every time you explored ancient ruins, you'd leave behind a pristine temple or city. Well, if fabricate was a legal option, which it isn't. Which sucks :smallfrown:

Shape Stone or something might be though.

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-01-20, 10:31 PM
If at all possible to pull off at your level, a living disjunction would qualify as a WMD that would result in the gods striking you dead if it ever crossed paths with one of their artifacts.

taltamir
2010-01-20, 10:38 PM
living black tentacles spell :p

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 10:57 PM
If at all possible to pull off at your level, a living disjunction would qualify as a WMD that would result in the gods striking you head if it ever crossed paths with one of their artifacts.

So you create it, then kill yourself. What are they going to do, batter down Arborea to get to you?

It's the kind of thing Halaster might do.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-20, 11:02 PM

Yay for a big living fireball that costs an artifact to create :smallbiggrin:

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-01-20, 11:39 PM
So you create it, then kill yourself. What are they going to do, batter down Arborea to get to you?

It's the kind of thing Halaster might do.

That's a riot of a BBEG concept. Some nutter of a caster creates a legion of these and sets them loose before committing suicide. Wide spread havoc ensues as magic begins to be stripped from the world.

Fizban
2010-01-21, 12:58 AM

:smallwink:
I believe the spell you're looking for is Frost Breath :smallwink: Bonus points for save vs. daze on every hit.

More from Spell Compendium: Wall of Sand may be a potential instakill. They immediately begin suffocating, and because they're grappled they have to break the grapple before moving, except moving requires a full round action that they no longer have since they spent it breaking the grapple. So they can't get out without killing the ooze while engulfed and grappled. Not an easy thing to do.

Similar to Defenestrating Sphere, I like the idea of Stone Sphere: the ooze is made of a bunch of 5' wide boulers, and getting hit is literally like a ton of bricks. Unfortunately it loses defenestration for a mere +1d6 damage.

Contagious Fog is like a living plague if you're into that sort of thing. Jungleraiser isn't very useful but would make an excellent plot (Druids need help finding source of massive deforestation). Shadow Spray would be pretty lethal with time, dealing 4 points of strength damage and dazing each round, but fort save negates so it's iffy.

My votes are for the classic Black Tentacles, Defenestrating Sphere, and potentially uber-lethal Wall of Sand. I also like Vortex of Teeth, but it's not very good for a living spell.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-21, 01:00 AM
Fun fact, Blasphemy etc scale really, really evilly. CR 13, CL 14 for the base spell. Add 8 CL, and it's CR 17. But now you're casting at +5 CL compared to the max HD your players can have, meaning paralyze.

2xMachina
2010-01-21, 02:43 AM

Everytime it hits, a LCB occurs.

A Living Locate City would be kinda fun. You get hit. You now know where the nearest city is. And it keeps telling you where the nearest city is.

EDIT: Living Nailed to the Sky! Uber version of reverse gravity. Everyone that gets hit goes to orbit the planet. (EDIT: Meh, doesn't work)

Kaiyanwang
2010-01-21, 03:46 AM

You are really, really a bad person. :smalltongue:

AustontheGreat1
2010-01-21, 09:27 AM
Think im gonna go with black tentecles as my familiar, though most of the ideas will probably be used due to my caster being able to make 10 temporary living spells a day.

Munchkin-Masher
2010-01-21, 02:37 PM
Why can we not have living Mindrape?

Also on a more serious note; Living Crushing Fist of Spite anyone?

Dragero
2010-01-21, 07:39 PM
Living Prestidignation!

::slam::
"Oww...OHH MY GOD I CAN`T STOP PEEING!!!!!!!!!" (I am so using this in my next game)

Living light

::slam::
"Hey I`m glowing...." (Horible for sneak attackers)

flabort
2010-01-22, 01:45 PM
Isn't Mass Cure Critical wounds an area spell? or is it just multi-target?

At caster level 10, Hypnotic pattern can basically completely ground 12-18 HD of creatures, and due to the nature of a living spell, this value does not decrease as more creatures are effected. If it weren't living, 12-18 would be the sum of creatures effected, but as it is a living spell, this becomes the max HD, so it can floor a party of pre-epic characters quite easily. and, as a 2nd level spell, it's quite cheap to make.

an army of Psycidelic oozes! Mwuh ha ha hoo ha hee! heh, heh heh...

awa
2010-01-22, 04:39 PM
living disjunction for pissing off pcs
ninjas

BRC
2010-01-22, 04:40 PM
Irrisistable Dance
None can defeat...THE BOOGIE BLOB!

Optimystik
2010-01-22, 04:45 PM
Irrisistable Dance
None can defeat...THE BOOGIE BLOB!

Nice try :smalltongue:

@ flabort: generally, "Mass X" spells are simply targeted spells with multiple targets, rather than actual area spells.

erikun
2010-01-22, 05:01 PM
Living Invisible Silence? Awaken it for the ultimate assassin.

I do like the Living Rainbow Pattern, although a Living Prismatic Wall would be crazy. Heck, just a Living Resilient Sphere would be annoying as heck to deal with.

Living Quench, and sent it to the Elemental Plane of Fire. :smalltongue:

I have to wonder what a Living Fabricate would look like.

Dvandemon
2010-01-22, 10:57 PM
How about a living Silence + Darkness? It'd be almost unstoppable since as soon as it saw you, it could just engulf some random object and lights out with no spell-casting. Would that work?

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-23, 01:43 AM
Nice try :smalltongue:

@ flabort: generally, "Mass X" spells are simply targeted spells with multiple targets, rather than actual area spells.

actually, while mass cure x is a multitarget spell. There are a few "Mass X" spells that used to be the "legion x" spells from the minis handbooks that are area affects.

Rizban
2010-01-23, 02:37 AM
What happens when two living disjunctions collide?

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-23, 02:43 AM
Hmm... any way we can manipulate metamagic to get Living spells that we shouldn't?

Mewtarthio
2010-01-23, 02:54 AM
Isn't there some sort of "Ray to Cone" metamagic that turns a ray spell into a cone? Possibly weakening the effect a bit? That'd add every ray spell, albeit slightly weaker and a couple of levels higher.

ZeroNumerous
2010-01-23, 03:06 AM
Isn't there some sort of "Ray to Cone" metamagic that turns a ray spell into a cone? Possibly weakening the effect a bit? That'd add every ray spell, albeit slightly weaker and a couple of levels higher.

It'd actually add every touch spell ever too. Reach spell turns anything with a range of touch into a ray. Further, Ocular spell turns anything that's targeted into a ray.

EDIT: Found it. It's Ray Burst. Converts any Ray spell into a 30ft burst centered on yourself for 'merely' +3 spell levels.

So: Living Ray Burst Enervation is entirely possible.

EDIT#2:
Wizard 10/Incantatrix 10.
Arcane Thesis(Imprisonment) + Easy Metamagic(Ray Burst) + Easy Metamagic(Reach Spell) + Invisible Spell + Reach Spell.

Make it into a Living Invisible Reach'd Ray Burst'd Imprisonment. Enjoy.

Zaydos
2010-01-23, 03:11 AM
Rays can already be living spells; one of the examples in MMIII uses Ray of Enfeeblement as it's base along with Glitterdust? I think.

ZeroNumerous
2010-01-23, 03:12 AM
Rays can already be living spells; one of the examples in MMIII uses Ray of Enfeeblement as it's base along with Glitterdust? I think.

The original in Eberron Campaign Setting disagrees (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7729427&postcount=12), but I haven't looked up either way.

Zaydos
2010-01-23, 03:19 AM
The original in Eberron Campaign Setting disagrees (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7729427&postcount=12), but I haven't looked up either way.

Enervation
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray of negative energy
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Rays spells create effects which are an attack targeting a creature, but are not in themselves targeted spells. The above post you linked specified that they work for spells that create effects other than summons.

Edit: Also what book is Ray Burst in? That metamagic sounds really quite fun.

ZeroNumerous
2010-01-23, 03:24 AM
Rays spells create effects which are an attack targeting a creature, but are not in themselves targeted spells. The above post you linked specified that they work for spells that create effects other than summons.\

Then Ray Burst isn't necessary, it just adds extra targets.

And Ray Burst is in Dragon Annual 5. I dunno what that is, but I got it off of realmshelp.

Zaydos
2010-01-23, 03:38 AM
Dragon Annuals were special dragon magazines I think. They stopped printing them when I subscribed, but some of the adds when I first subscribed talked about them. Not really sure, but that does explain why I hadn't heard of it. Thanks.

Mewtarthio
2010-01-23, 03:43 AM
It'd actually add every touch spell ever too. Reach spell turns anything with a range of touch into a ray. Further, Ocular spell turns anything that's targeted into a ray.

Hm... Can you apply the Mob template to a Living Ray Burst Ocular Phantasmal Killer? :smallamused:

Actually, I looked up Ray Burst on realmshelp, and right below it was something called "Ray Coning." Has the same effect of turning a ray spell into an area spell, but at one lower metamagic level adjustment.

BeholderMage
2010-01-23, 05:11 AM
living Magic Circle
living Wall of Fire
living Lightning Bolt
living Dispel Magic (area)
living Web
living Desecrate could be cool for a necromancer...

I like the idea of Living Crushing Fist of Spite though...

AustontheGreat1
2010-01-23, 06:11 AM
It says that evards black tentacles is immune to all types of damage, that couldn't be true for a living spell made of one, could it?

Zaydos
2010-01-23, 10:15 AM
The tentacles created by the spell are immune; the living spell isn't. Although that brings up the question: what happens when it engulfs and leaves? Does it just leave little patches of tentacles along any creature it engulfs or hits? That's kind of cool.

Drogorn
2010-01-23, 11:09 AM
Just have it leave a trail of tentacles whenever it moves. I might actually do that to my players....

Dvandemon
2010-01-23, 05:49 PM
I've had a strange idea for a while where on a quest the adventurers come across a strange valley where Living Spells are abundant and hunt each other.

Optimystik
2010-01-23, 05:53 PM
What happens when two living disjunctions collide?

Given that they're oozes - combine?

Also, living rays are defiitely possible - WotC themselves made Living Disintegrate. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ls/20061026a)

Beorn080
2010-01-23, 06:19 PM
Maybe not the coolest, but Living Deep Slumber. Would render almost everything trivial, since everything with less then 10 HD would fall asleep immediately after a single slam.

Dvandemon
2010-01-24, 03:39 AM
What may be interesting is a living Antifield (http://http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Antifield_(3.5e_Spell)).

Also, living rays are defiitely possible - WotC themselves made Living Disintegrate. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ls/20061026a)

And for whoever said that you couldn't make a Living Reverse Gravity here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ls/20070115a) plus check the bottom for other unusual spells:smallsmile:

Grollub
2010-05-09, 05:40 PM
I think the Living Prestidigitation would be awesome.. every time it smacks someone they literally soil themselves. :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2010-05-09, 07:44 PM
Thread necromancy.