PDA

View Full Version : Hospital event

Järnblomma
2010-01-20, 06:53 AM
Hello! I am DM:ing a medieval style game. One of my characters was badly wounded and needs time to recuperate in the temple of Valena, Goddess of life, whose temples neatly works as hospitals.

Now, I feel it would be boring just to say that he exited a week later, fully healed. I want something to happen. Sadly, I have no good ideas what.

So, do you people have any ideas? =) Thanks!

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-01-20, 07:17 AM
Make it a detective story.
There are people who are mysteriously dying and there are rumours that it was caused by negative energy. The church stops healing everybody out of fear for more deaths, unless your players find the killer.

2xMachina
2010-01-20, 07:19 AM
You could have someone try to assassinate him (if you've a recurrent villain who's still out there).

Or maybe a fire at the hospital, and they've got to save the other patients or put out the fire.

bosssmiley
2010-01-20, 07:42 AM
Read ye some Cadfael books. :smallwink:

hewhosaysfish
2010-01-20, 07:51 AM
You could have someone try to assassinate him (if you've a recurrent villain who's still out there).

Or maybe a fire at the hospital, and they've got to save the other patients or put out the fire.

Both!
Someone tries to assassinate him by burning down the hospital!

Ashtar
2010-01-20, 08:15 AM
One of the priest (or priestess) is taken over by an entity when he/she tries to break a curse caused by an item brought in by a fellow adventurer. The freed spirit / entity takes advantage of all the positive energy in the church to rebuild its once destroyed body using parts of the people in the hospital.

Of course, a disciple happens upon this and is murdered to keep it a secret. But his partially butchered body is found quickly and inquiries begin.

The adventurer is still kept in a safe place at the hospital, since the curse on him/her has not been lifted yet (maybe he's been struck deaf, blind and dumb?), but can help the players with information about where the entity comes from after he/she's cured.

Of course, once the entity is dealt with, the players have a whole new place to explore, the ruins where the adventurer picked up the cursed item.

Edit: New Idea!

Watch a couple of ER, Dr. House and Scrubs, and make the Hospital a wacky place full of crazy characters. Then create a catastrophe and have the hospital fill with people needing treatment. "It's not lupus!"

Dimers
2010-01-20, 04:23 PM
You could use the period to foreshadow stuff later on. For instance, perhaps Valena's heirarchy is being split from within by someone who might be a prophet and might be a deceiver, and few people outside Her service have heard of the problem. That could tie into a BBEG subplot in a dozen ways. Use the people in the hospital to hint at some upcoming event the adventurers will encounter later. It's a win/win ... either they'll say "okay, fine, now let's go kill something" and it'll be a few minutes of playtime spent on making the story feel more connected, or else they'll get interested and run with the idea and basically create lots of story for ya. :smallbiggrin:

Järnblomma
2010-01-27, 07:01 PM
All interesting answers. While I was rightly tempted to make it a sort of half-serious House-parody it ended upp being the assassination attempt. Or rather more, the aftermath of it. He managed to get a knife in the stomach. The knife was poisoned with a semi-magical poison that guides the poison magically yo the heart where it spreads to the blood and death ensues.

Luckily, there are some advantages in being attacked in a hospital and he got treatment early enough to almost get away unscathed. Now he need a drink of medicine every day, and falls over if he hits critical fail in the start of every round when his heart works harder and, accidentaly, makes a small amount of poison enter his blood.

It worked out quite well, methinks. =)

But the House-thingie is not to be fortgotten, neither burnt down hospital. Thank you very much! =D