PDA

View Full Version : Good class for inquisitor? (3.5)

Adamaro
2010-01-20, 07:37 AM
What class (no PrC, it's a lvl 3 PC), would you reccomend for a role of inquisitor? A religious detective, with strong intimidate, diplomacy and sense motive skills? I need someone who can see in characters of others and at a same time cast fear into them. Maybe even someone who's power of persuasion is usefull even in combat.

bosssmiley
2010-01-20, 07:41 AM
Bard in Solomon Kane clothing. Refluff his music as fire-and-brimstone sermonising. Stick to the Divination parts of the bard spell list.

Or Rogue in a cassock. :smallwink:

olentu
2010-01-20, 07:45 AM
Factotum perhaps.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 07:47 AM
Paladin, so you can take Grey Guard later to remove the stick.

olelia
2010-01-20, 07:58 AM
How about the Inquisitor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/advanced-player-s-guide-playtest/inquisitor) class?

GolemsVoice
2010-01-20, 08:00 AM
Paladin, and later move on to the Shadowbane Hunter or Shadowbane Inquisitor from Complete Adventurer, I think. As the names suggest, they're al about sniffing out bad guys and ending them in a slightly less than paladin-y way.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-20, 08:02 AM
What class (no PrC, it's a lvl 3 PC), would you reccomend for a role of inquisitor? A religious detective, with strong intimidate, diplomacy and sense motive skills? I need someone who can see in characters of others and at a same time cast fear into them. Maybe even someone who's power of persuasion is usefull even in combat.

Crusader might work. They are useful in combat and get class skills like those.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 08:05 AM
Crusader might work. They are useful in combat and get class skills like those.

Unfortunately, they get neither Sense Motive nor Gather Information, which may hamper his investigation a bit. They'll be great at apprehending the suspect, though.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-20, 08:09 AM

Cloistered Cleric.

AB
2010-01-20, 08:18 AM
Prestige Class: Church Inquisitor (Compl. Divine). Yes, it`s a prestige class, but you can get into ist by level 3 if you start as cleric.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-20, 08:18 AM
Ironically? The Binder. Bind Naberius for in-combat bluff/diplomacy without taking massive penalties. You get Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive as class skills; and even Bluff if you need it.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-20, 08:19 AM
Prestige Class: Church Inquisitor (Compl. Divine). Yes, it`s a prestige class, but you can get into ist by level 3 if you start as cleric.

I wasn't expecting the Church Inquisition! (Since the OP said no prestige classes, after all, and you apparently know it.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 08:36 AM
Ironically? The Binder. Bind Naberius for in-combat bluff/diplomacy without taking massive penalties. You get Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive as class skills; and even Bluff if you need it.

Brilliant. Can't believe I forgot Binder, and it's one of my favorite classes too.

Naberius' sign is easy to hide, and perfect for the concept (deep, gravelly voice.) You can make Gather Information and Knowledge (Local) checks untrained. You can take 10 on diplomacy checks, and make a rushed check as a standard action with no penalty. Disguise Self at will. And in combat, you can cast Command at will (though with a cooldown.)

Longcat
2010-01-20, 08:55 AM
Cleric or Cloistered Cleric.

deuxhero
2010-01-20, 09:06 AM
I wasn't expecting the Church Inquisition! (Since the OP said no prestige classes, after all, and you apparently know it.

No one expects... yeah, that is one warm joke.

Grumman
2010-01-20, 10:22 AM
Urban Ranger gets you Gather Information, Sense Motive and Urban Tracking, and bonuses to identify certain foes. Martial Study (Leading the Attack) gets you Diplomacy as a class skill for all classes, and lets you better lead your unruly mob into battle.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 10:25 AM
Urban Ranger gets you Gather Information, Sense Motive and Urban Tracking, and bonuses to identify certain foes.

Yes, that's another good one I forgot.

An Ardent is also a good choice.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-20, 11:17 AM
Urban Ranger with the Favored Enemy Organization variant, taking something like "Heretics from my church" as his favored enemy.

Person_Man
2010-01-20, 11:57 AM
You might also want to pick up telepathy/read thoughts/etc. There are a bunch of different ways to get it. Incarnate, Telepath, Wizard, Cleric, etc.

Kylarra
2010-01-20, 12:04 PM
I'll second cloistered cleric heading into church inquisitor.

Veeda Vidlak
2010-01-20, 01:25 PM
Throw in another vote for cloistered cleric. However, if you don't think its necessary to play a divine class beguiler isn't a bad idea.

Rixx
2010-01-20, 02:28 PM
Seriously, the Inquisitor class is exactly what you're looking for: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/advanced-player-s-guide-playtest/inquisitor

Draz74
2010-01-20, 03:06 PM
I liked the Factotum idea.

Whichever class you choose, there are ways to use Intimidate and Sense Motive in combat regardless. For Sense Motive, you mostly want the Baffling Defense Setting Sun maneuver; it'll cost you a one-level dip in Swordsage, or two feats, or a 3000-gp item and a feat. For Intimidate, Tome of Battle has some minor tricks for that as well, but the main things are the Imperious Command feat (DotU, IIRC) and the Never Outnumbered skill trick.