PDA

View Full Version : Time Stop vs. Anticipate Teleportation [3.5]

magic9mushroom
2010-01-20, 09:23 AM
Fairly simple question that nevertheless doesn't seem to have a clear answer.

What happens if someone with Time Stop active teleports into the radius of Greater Anticipate Teleportation?

Tyndmyr
2010-01-20, 09:27 AM
I'd probably assume the teleportation delay effect would happen first, then the remainder of the timestop would process.

It's wierd, and Im not 100% sure on that, but the wording of anticipate teleport indicates that it would tend to happen first, IMO.

Lysander
2010-01-20, 09:31 AM
I assume it would delay them the normal amount of time in objective, not subjective time. So it would eat up whatever remaining time stop rounds you have as one round, plus an additional two rounds.

Cyclocone
2010-01-20, 09:34 AM
3.5 Time Stop doesn't stop time, so Greater Anticipate Teleportation wouldn't be delayed by it.

Time Stop is also only apparent time, so the time spend in the TS would likely only count as one round for the purposes of GAT, since GAT references real time.

So you'd lose the remainder of your TS +a couple of extra rounds.

EDIT: Arggh! *casts Anticipate Ninjas*

magic9mushroom
2010-01-20, 09:40 AM
3.5 Time Stop doesn't stop time, so Greater Anticipate Teleportation wouldn't be delayed by it.

Time Stop is also only apparent time, so the time spend in the TS would likely only count as one round for the purposes of GAT, since GAT references real time.

So you'd lose the remainder of your TS +a couple of extra rounds.

Hmm. However, Time Stop is also you being very really sped up in the time stream (you take ongoing damage during it, etc). So those rounds really do exist for you. For the time stoppee, you've gone into hammerspace for some larger number of rounds according to your interpretation.

EDIT: I just had a thought. Time Stop lasts for 1d4+1 rounds apparent time. No apparent time passes while delayed by a GAT. So according to this, what should happen is that you're delayed 3 rounds of real time, but then have the remainder of your Time Stop rounds normally.

That sound accurate to you guys?

Sliver
2010-01-20, 09:59 AM
I agree with Lysander (and Cyclocone).. The teleportation is delayed and lets the caster act to respond to it..

magic9mushroom
2010-01-20, 10:00 AM
I agree with Lysander (and Cyclocone).. The teleportation is delayed and lets the caster act to respond to it..

That makes sense, but do you have Time Stop rounds left after you emerge from hammerspace or not?

2xMachina
2010-01-20, 10:04 AM
Do you actually exist while in Hammerspace? AT might work where it actually moves you straight to a few rounds later rather than actually keeping you in hammerspace.

If it moves you straight, you have TS still. If it holds you in hammerspace, then no.

magic9mushroom
2010-01-20, 10:10 AM
Do you actually exist while in Hammerspace? AT might work where it actually moves you straight to a few rounds later rather than actually keeping you in hammerspace.

If it moves you straight, you have TS still. If it holds you in hammerspace, then no.

Well, no apparent time passes, so... it either puts them in temporal stasis, shifts them into a plane with flowing time 1 minute on Prime Material = 0 minutes on plane or directly timeshifts you. Those are the options I can see.

How Temporal Stasis and Time Stop interact I know not, but the other two shouldn't lose Time Stop rounds.

Thanks for making me think of that.

Douglas
2010-01-20, 10:30 AM
As I recall, Anticipate Teleportation specifically says something along the lines of the teleporter being completely unaware of the delay and arriving, from his perspective, as if he had teleported as normal. Thus, the traveler would be delayed but would get the remaining duration of his Time Stop immediately on arrival.

magic9mushroom
2010-01-20, 10:40 AM
As I recall, Anticipate Teleportation specifically says something along the lines of the teleporter being completely unaware of the delay and arriving, from his perspective, as if he had teleported as normal. Thus, the traveler would be delayed but would get the remaining duration of his Time Stop immediately on arrival.

So then, what happens if one of the anticipators readies an action (say, a fireball) for the moment the Time Stopper arrives? He's undetectable, but they know he'll arrive in 3 rounds. Does it go off before or after he gets his remaining Time Stop rounds? Is it even a legal ready action?

Lysander
2010-01-20, 10:46 AM
Does anticipate teleport preserve the duration of other spells though? For example, let's say I cast a buff on myself with a duration of 1/round level then cast teleport and get held up by anticipate teleport. Do those three rounds I'm delayed count against the duration of the buff?

magic9mushroom
2010-01-20, 10:48 AM
Does anticipate teleport preserve the duration of other spells though? For example, let's say I cast a buff on myself with a duration of 1/round level then cast teleport and get held up by anticipate teleport. Do those three rounds I'm delayed count against the duration of the buff?

They shouldn't, given the way the rules generally work on time manipulation (you take ongoing damage in a Time Stop, for an obvious example, and you age according to apparent time passed, with the specific exception of the Plane of Faerie).

However, the description of Anticipate Teleportation doesn't actually specify.

unre9istered
2010-01-20, 10:50 AM
So then, what happens if one of the anticipators readies an action (say, a fireball) for the moment the Time Stopper arrives? He's undetectable, but they know he'll arrive in 3 rounds. Does it go off before or after he gets his remaining Time Stop rounds? Is it even a legal ready action?

Well if you set action to attack someone who moves adjacent and then a wizard casts timestop and moves adjacent, do you get your set action?

Pretty sure the answer is no. I'd say the same thing for the teleport arrival. You know when and where he will arrive but your still waiting to see him to hit him with a fireball. When he arrives however he's moving to fast for you to possibly see.

You are undetectable while time stop lasts.

Lysander
2010-01-20, 11:10 AM
Of course, the wizard you're teleporting to could just move away. Or hide. The duration of your time stop might end before you can find them again.