PDA

View Full Version : Ur Priest + Planar Binding

2xMachina
2010-01-20, 09:48 AM
Ur Priest: Steal Spell like ability.

So, pretty much all they need to do is Planar Bind a Efreeti, say Hello, and they get 3 wishes. Doesn't even need the efreeti to cooperate, and it won't even notice you getting 3 wishes. Heck, they can still give out 3 wishes as if nothing happened.

Bypasses all the revenge of bound creatures, and you'd get 3 wishes per day while you coerce them for the 3 spells. Works for any other SLA you want to.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-20, 09:52 AM
Ur Priest: Steal Spell like ability.

So, pretty much all they need to do is Planar Bind a Efreeti, say Hello, and they get 3 wishes. Doesn't even need the efreeti to cooperate, and it won't even notice you getting 3 wishes. Heck, they can still give out 3 wishes as if nothing happened.

Bypasses all the revenge of bound creatures, and you'd get 3 wishes per day while you coerce them for the 3 spells. Works for any other SLA you want to.

One drawback: you can't use the wish yourself. Remember that Efreeti can't use Wish for themselves so you'd have same restriction. Although evey party member gets 3 from you.
Still the whole party must love this.

jiriku
2010-01-20, 09:52 AM
Thus reinforcing: the efreet and noble djinn are broken monsters. Give them +14 HD each so they can't be summoned by anything less than a gate spell and the game is much happier for it.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 09:54 AM
Yes, Ur-Priests are great. And hideously broken. Next thread!

2xMachina
2010-01-20, 09:57 AM
One drawback: you can't use the wish yourself. Remember that Efreeti can't use Wish for themselves so you'd have same restriction. Although evey party member gets 3 from you.

If they kinda like you, you can make a pact that they make wishes for your benefit.

And the Steal SLA ability works even by just being around them. You could, say, Plane Shift to some Efreeti, and say hello.

EDIT: Restriction is to non-genies, not themselves. So, you could give it to yourself actually.

Longcat
2010-01-20, 10:04 AM
Ur-Priests don't have Planar Binding on their spell list.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 10:08 AM

Have the wizard do it, or use Miracle.

2xMachina
2010-01-20, 10:10 AM
Not that hard to be a Wizard on top of Ur Priest. Or have a Wizard in the party.

Duke of URL
2010-01-20, 10:52 AM

And how many people actually go into Ur-Priest as something other than Wizard 9 / Ur-Priest 2 / Mystic Theurge 9 to start with?

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 10:53 AM
And how many people actually go into Ur-Priest as something other than Wizard 9 / Ur-Priest 2 / Mystic Theurge 9 to start with?

The ones who use Ardent and Psychic Theurge, of course.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-20, 11:50 AM

The ones who use Ardent and Psychic Theurge, of course.

Or Binder/Anima Mage!

Yeah, I know it's not RAW by default, but Anima Mage does mention adapting it either to divine casting or psionics.

deuxhero
2010-01-20, 11:58 AM

Nope. The wishes are to non-Efeeti, you aren't an Efeeti. No issues.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-20, 12:04 PM
Or Binder/Anima Mage!

Yeah, I know it's not RAW by default, but Anima Mage does mention adapting it either to divine casting or psionics.

Or the Anti-Gish (Pally/Hexblade).

Longcat
2010-01-20, 12:11 PM

How about Factotum11/Ur-Priest9? Extra Standard actions ftw

deuxhero
2010-01-20, 12:15 PM
Uh... someone who went into RKV instead?

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-20, 12:44 PM
Or Savage Bard 5 / UrPriest 2 / Ardent 3 / Sublime Chord 2 / Mystic Theurge 8.

I'm rather fond of that one. A splash of psionics (up to 4th level powers), 9th level arcane, 9th level divine, and 2nd level Bard. Fun times.

ex cathedra
2010-01-20, 02:22 PM

Yeah, no. I'm rather fond of Ardent, Crusader + Human Paragon, and Savage Bard entries... I don't think that I've ever been inclined to enter Ur-Priest through Wizard.

Penitent
2010-01-20, 02:39 PM
What about the Bard 1/Wizard 1/Warmage 1/Sorcerer 1/Beguiler 1/Duskblade 1/Ur Priest 4/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Theurge 9?

gorfnab
2010-01-20, 02:41 PM
Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 10/ Hellfire Warlock 3

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-20, 02:44 PM
Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 10/ Hellfire Warlock 3

this, I like :smallamused:

good work sir

Draz74
2010-01-20, 02:46 PM
What about the Bard 1/Wizard 1/Warmage 1/Sorcerer 1/Beguiler 1/Duskblade 1/Ur Priest 4/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Theurge 9?

Not so impressive, since Mystic Theurge will only progress one of the arcane caster classes (i.e. Sublime Chord) at each level.

All those dips you're talking about are useless.

ex cathedra
2010-01-20, 02:49 PM
Actually, the point of those dips, if I recall correctly, are certain CL shenanigans between Sublime Chord, Ur-Priest, and +CL items. I think. I haven't looked over that build in a while. They're actually very, very powerful.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-01-20, 03:38 PM
Actually, the point of those dips, if I recall correctly, are certain CL shenanigans between Sublime Chord, Ur-Priest, and +CL items. I think. I haven't looked over that build in a while. They're actually very, very powerful.

Sublime Chord sets your arcane CL for all arcane classes and itself to the CL of one arcane class + sublime chord, and Ur-Priest CL is 1/2 levels in other classes plus its own level, so by a certain interpretation that build gets arcane CL 11 and divine CL 42.

deuxhero
2010-01-20, 03:51 PM
Hmm, someone should make an Ur Priest handbook.

Jack_Simth
2010-01-20, 05:18 PM
Quite a few, but as the Steal-Spell-like ability of the Ur-Priest is more of a capstone ability than something you can advance from Mystic Theurge, the point is fairly moot.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-20, 06:34 PM
planar binding isn't on the ur-priest list, but planar ally is. The circle that you lay down for planar binding isn't part of the planar binding spell, so it really doesn't matter what spell you're using to call the djinn with.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 06:38 PM
planar binding isn't on the ur-priest list, but planar ally is. The circle that you lay down for planar binding isn't part of the planar binding spell, so it really doesn't matter what spell you're using to call the djinn with.

The problem with Planar Ally vs. Planar Binding, is that only PB lets you choose. PA means the DM chooses what creature you get, even if you ask for something else.

If your DM gives you what you ask for - run!

Yuki Akuma
2010-01-20, 07:07 PM
Planar Ally is meant to be a plea for help from your deity... how does that work with an Ur-Priest?

For that matter, how does Miracle work?

Jack_Simth
2010-01-20, 07:16 PM
Planar Ally is meant to be a plea for help from your deity... how does that work with an Ur-Priest?

Depends on the DM. With many, the answer will be that it works great... for the deity you stole the spell from.

Because, you know, if you actually check those spell descriptions, they involve the direct attention of the deity....

Starbuck_II
2010-01-20, 07:18 PM

How do Clerics of a Cause work? Your Cause grants you it.
Ur-Priests are Clerics of a Cause.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 07:19 PM

A philosophically-aligned being responds (typically a fiend, since UPs are evil.)

The latent force of divine energy powering all the gods reacts to your request.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-20, 11:01 PM
Well naturally a DM will muck things up if you try to use planar ally instead of planar binding, but by the spells own description you get a being of similar philosophical bent, and if you have the name of a particular being, there's no reason that the non-sentient divine force an ur-priest calls on shouldn't give him the djinn he's asked for.

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 11:08 PM
Well naturally a DM will muck things up if you try to use planar ally instead of planar binding, but by the spells own description you get a being of similar philosophical bent, and if you have the name of a particular being, there's no reason that the non-sentient divine force an ur-priest calls on shouldn't give him the djinn he's asked for.

The spell specifically states that another creature can come even if you know a djinn's truename, have him on speed dial, and he owes you 50gp.

(Well, perhaps not THAT specifically.)