PDA

View Full Version : A dumb 4E question

Goonthegoof
2010-01-20, 09:51 AM
This probably has been answered a million times, but I can't seem to find the answer- How are bonuses like weapon focus and bracers of archery added on? If one hits for 2[W]+whatever modifier do you add the bonus damage on once or twice?

Blackfang108
2010-01-20, 09:56 AM
This probably has been answered a million times, but I can't seem to find the answer- How are bonuses like weapon focus and bracers of archery added on? If one hits for 2[W]+whatever modifier do you add the bonus damage on once or twice?

Per atack, not per weapon Die.

So, once, even if the damage is 9[W]+DEX

This is why Twin Strike gets the [insert inappropriate innuendo here] that it does. Two attacks means that, if both hit, both damage rolls receive the +whatevers.

Freylorn
2010-01-20, 09:58 AM
Once per attack.

Let's take an example - an attack that deals 2W + Str damage. You have a +1 longsword, 18 Strength, and have taken the appropriate weapon focus feat.

Damage breakdown is 2d8 (weapon) + 4 (stat) + 1 (enhancement) +1 (feat.)

Now, in the case of twin strike, the bonus applies to each attack, since they have separate attack rolls.

Saintjebus
2010-01-20, 10:09 AM
Twin Strike- the most brokenly designed at-will ever. I've seen a ranger use that power over encounter powers for damage.

Ever seen an at-will nova?:smallfrown:

Goonthegoof
2010-01-20, 10:14 AM
Ah, so that would make something like confounding arrows really good?

One other thing- I was looking at Evade the Blow, and the flavor text of

'When your enemy launches his attack, you leap out of the way, leaving your foe to hit nothing but air.'

makes it seem you don't get hit by the attack, but the crunch text just says you shift after you get hit, doesn't mention anything about not getting hit by said attack. Do you dodge the hit or not?

Freylorn
2010-01-20, 10:28 AM
I'm AFB right now, but that would all depend on if the power in question is an immediate reaction or an immediate interrupt.

A reaction would mean it takes place after the attack (and therefore, the damage) whereas an interrupt takes priority, and would save you from the damage (unless, of course, you're still in range after your shift.)

Sinon
2010-01-20, 10:28 AM
Yes, it is an Immediate Interrupt. You aren't hit.

Freylorn
2010-01-20, 10:30 AM
Twin Strike- the most brokenly designed at-will ever. I've seen a ranger use that power over encounter powers for damage.

Out of curiousity, why would a ranger ever use that over an encounter power? Most ranger encounter powers are either a) multi-hit themselves, and therefore better, or b) do not cost a standard action to use. Either way, Twin Strike shouldn't be winning out over them.

Goonthegoof
2010-01-20, 10:31 AM
Says Immediate Interrupt, so there's two conflicting answers here:smalltongue:

Sinon
2010-01-20, 10:32 AM
In my first response, I was totally thinking of a different power.

My bad read first - then respond.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-01-20, 01:21 PM

You do know that Twin Strike just does [W], not [W]+DEX damage, right?

Don't get me wrong, Twin Strike is good, but aside from Power-Attacking Twin Waraxe Dwarves, I'm pretty sure Twin Strike isn't going to be able to blow, say, Rogue Sneak Attack completely out of the water.

And yes, I know Rangers are top (or near top - haven't kept up on my CharOp) in Striker Damage, but the gap isn't that large.

EDIT:
Regarding Evade the Blow (Utility 16) - it is an Immediate Interrupt triggered by "An enemy hits you with a melee attack."

Immediate Actions happen before the trigger is resolved. If the triggering action is now invalid, the action is wasted.

Interrupt: An immediate interrupt lets you jump in when a certain trigger condition arises, acting before the trigger resolves. If an interrupt invalidates a triggering action, that action is lost. For example, an enemy makes a melee attack against you, but you use a power that lets you shift away as an immediate interrupt. If your enemy can no longer reach you, the enemy’s attack action is lost.