PDA

View Full Version : Anime: Lina Inverse vs Uzumaki Naruto

Analytica
2010-01-20, 12:27 PM
Versus thread. If this has been done, sorry to bother; just procrastinating.

So suppose the writers behind the Slayers and Naruto animes were hanging out, possibly both being very drunk and/or stoned, and in a friendly manner, began co-drafting a crossover. That is, any interpretations on how the settings work and what character capabilities are, would end up as whatever the (again, very drunk) authors would agree on.

The premise is this: the central Slayers cast (Lina Inverse, Gourry Gabriev, Zelgadis Graywords and Amelia Wil Tesla Sairuun) have been tricked by the enigmatic Xellos into walking through a one-way portal to a distant parallel dimension - the Narutoverse. They end up in some remote island kingdom far from any shinobi villages. To get back to their own world, they need a mysterious object/young child with magical powers/similar macguffin who is also on the island.

A group of Konoha shinobi (Uzumaki Naruto, Rock Lee, Haruno Sakura and Hyuga Hinata, with Sakura as the team leader) have been sent to locate and protect the macguffin from whoever might wish to claim it, and have been tasked to ultimately bring it back all the way to Konoha to study it.

Assume that all Slayers magic work the same as in its own universe (the connection to the demonic forces work even across these plane boundaries), but that they require functional chakra systems; effectively, the Slayers spells are strange jutsu that also draw on external sources of power. Also assume the Sword of Light and Linas magic enhancers work normally. The Slayers characters are as they are following either of the two or three most recent series.

Assume that the Naruto characters are as they are in the Shippuuden series, following the latest try-to-retrieve-Sasuke arc, with all their standard equipment and abilities.

What do you think would happen?

thubby
2010-01-20, 01:16 PM
they'd probably destroy whatever planet they were on before they could kill each other...

Soras Teva Gee
2010-01-20, 01:58 PM
Two Words: Dragon Slave

[/thread]

Catch
2010-01-20, 01:59 PM
Last I read, Naruto had a technique that shredded people on the cellular level and smashed his way out of a rock prison the size of the moon.

Obviously, I've stopped following the series.

From what I know of Slayers, the power curve isn't nearly comparable to that of the Naruto series. It's this generation's DBZ.

Silver2195
2010-01-20, 02:19 PM
Actually, the prison wasn't the size of the moon. It was just created with a lesser version of the jutsu used to create the moon.

Poison_Fish
2010-01-20, 02:56 PM
Last I read, Naruto had a technique that shredded people on the cellular level and smashed his way out of a rock prison the size of the moon.

Obviously, I've stopped following the series.

From what I know of Slayers, the power curve isn't nearly comparable to that of the Naruto series. It's this generation's DBZ.

Lina has a spell that is a 50/50 shot of ending the universe or killing a demon god.

Prime32
2010-01-20, 02:57 PM
Actually, the prison wasn't the size of the moon. It was just created with a lesser version of the jutsu used to create the moon.And he was only able to smash his way out because he'd completely lost control and gone Eight Tails, where he looked like a full-sized version of the Nine-Tailed Fox without fur (oh, and missing one tail of course).

Lina has a spell that is a 50/50 shot of ending the universe or killing a demon god.It's a little unclear whether it would actually end the universe or just kill Lina, summon God, and annoy God.

Innis Cabal
2010-01-20, 02:59 PM
It's a little unclear whether it would actually end the universe or just kill Lina, summon God, and annoy God.

No its not...the novels make it pretty certain that if she messes up...the universe ends. They even outright state it from the Word of God (Demon, what ever you want to consider her/it) that without her/its/his blessing the universe would have ended.

Prime32
2010-01-20, 03:01 PM
No its not...the novels make it pretty certain that if she messes up...the universe ends. They even outright state it from the Word of God (Demon, what ever you want to consider her/it) that without her/it/his blessing the universe would have ended.I meant to imply that summoning the Lord of Nightmares and annoying Her would effectively be the same thing as destroying the universe. Looks like I wasn't clear.

Shyftir
2010-01-20, 03:30 PM
main character of an anime vs. main character of an anime?

Big explosions probable destruction of the universe. This will go for most anime.

Now with mecha that'll change a bit. And sometimes certain animes don't suffer as badly from this issue. (for instance: Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo, no planet destroying individual powers in either of those. )

But most of the time these questions lead us to: "such and such would blow up the universe" "Not before whose-its face would" "Nu-uh." "Yeah, huh." ....

That being said, I like slayers A LOT more than Naruto. So go Lina.

More interestingly, Black Mage of 8bit theatre vs. Lina Inverse?
(a.k.a. Hadoken vs. Giga Slave?)

Prime32
2010-01-20, 03:40 PM
More interestingly, Black Mage of 8bit theatre vs. Lina Inverse?
(a.k.a. Hadoken vs. Giga Slave?)I think you mean Hadoken vs. Dragon Slave. :smallwink:

Or Black Mage vs. Nanoha Takamachi, battle of the Love Beams.

Winthur
2010-01-20, 03:49 PM
Lina Inverse, pretty obviously. Even in case if her powerful magic that on average measure just blows everything up in the radius and a lot of lesser demons don't stand a ghost of a chance against even one of these fails, then Lina can simply call Luna for help.

All that Naruto can do is find out when does her period start and strike at this time.

Shyftir
2010-01-20, 03:50 PM
Giga Slave is the more powerful version of Dragon Slave. Somebody hasn't been watching the series recently... (As in literally earlier today.)

Poison_Fish
2010-01-20, 03:53 PM
All that Naruto can do is find out when does her period start and strike at this time.

You mean all he can do is hyperventilate (http://instantrimshot.com/)

Analytica
2010-01-20, 03:57 PM
With just Naruto versus Lina in actual combat, I really am not sure what would happen. Lina has far better ranged attacks, with the Dragon Slave being about as destructive as the Nine-Tails, but far less costly to activate. Naruto however can probably dodge better, withstand damage better, and heal better.

I guess both are equally crafty/cunning when they need to, with Naruto possibly the better short-range tactician. Lina also have never dealt with clones, although even the Shadow Clones should go poof from any spell she cast.

In a one-on-one, I actually think Naruto would win, though. He would be buried from the first long-range explosive spell, then Lina would spend two episodes of the hypothetical cross-over blowing up Shadow Clones while everyone and their uncle has flashbacks to their training. Finally, a couple of clones would get close enough to knock her unconscious using the Rasengan.

If the teams were pitted against each other, though, Gourry would prevent Naruto from reaching Lina, meaning she could keep on blasting as long as she likes. Once she targetted the other Shinobi team members, Naruto would probably break combat and try to help them instead.

Of course, what would really happen is probably that they fight it out like this for a few episodes, with both Lina and Naruto going all "I'll never give up" against each other, until they both somehow realize they should instead be allies against the true enemy, whoever that might be. They'll fight over food and the like but stand together for the final showdown.

Prime32
2010-01-20, 04:05 PM
Giga Slave is the more powerful version of Dragon Slave. Somebody hasn't been watching the series recently... (As in literally earlier today.)I've been discussing the Giga Slave earlier on the page. :smallconfused: I just fail to see how a spell that ends the universe is a good match-up against a spell which fires a giant beam of energy.

Drascin
2010-01-20, 04:11 PM
I've been discussing the Giga Slave earlier on the page. :smallconfused: I just fail to see how a spell that ends the universe is a good match-up against a spell which fires a giant beam of energy.

No, the Giga Slave only ends the universe if you miscast it. The objective of the spell is assured destruction of one target, far as I remember (or at least assured enough to kill a mazoku). It has been quite a long time since I watched Slayers, though.

Prime32
2010-01-20, 04:14 PM
No, the Giga Slave only ends the universe if you miscast it. The objective of the spell is assured destruction of one target, far as I remember (or at least assured enough to kill a mazoku). It has been quite a long time since I watched Slayers, though.:smallannoyed:

I just mean that it's a few orders of magnitude more powerful than Hadoken, and Dragon Slave is more comparable.

Bayar
2010-01-20, 04:22 PM
Ask yourself this question: Can Naruto defeat the prime demon of his world in combat ? If yes, he might stand a chance against Lina.

Giga Slave is the more powerful version of Dragon Slave. Somebody hasn't been watching the series recently... (As in literally earlier today.)

Oh god, they retconned it ? Giga slave was supposed to be it's own spell :eek:. It even says that in the Slayers D20 book (and apparently, you can only learn it from Lina in-game...).

Analytica
2010-01-20, 04:29 PM
No, the Giga Slave only ends the universe if you miscast it. The objective of the spell is assured destruction of one target, far as I remember (or at least assured enough to kill a mazoku). It has been quite a long time since I watched Slayers, though.

I would expect that the Giga Slave (or the Ragna Blade, the slightly more easily contained version) would be able to take out any single Naruto character, including the Kyuubi or any of the giant summons. It would have to hit first, though, which is harder with a smaller target.

Prime32
2010-01-20, 04:48 PM
Ask yourself this question: Can Naruto defeat the prime demon of his world in combat ? If yes, he might stand a chance against Lina.
Naruto has a fragment of the prime demon of his world sealed inside him. Sound familiar? :smallwink:
EDIT: Yes, I do mean a fragment. (http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Jubi)

Oh god, they retconned it ? Giga slave was supposed to be it's own spell :eek:. It even says that in the Slayers D20 book (and apparently, you can only learn it from Lina in-game...).Lina improvised the Giga Slave by modifying the Dragon Slave's incantation to call upon a different power source. Supposedly this is an incredibly difficult thing to do.

Tengu_temp
2010-01-20, 05:40 PM
We get a 12-episode battle with interludes of slapstick humour. When it's finally over the audience is too tired to care who even won.

Or Black Mage vs. Nanoha Takamachi, battle of the Love Beams.

C'mon, that's so obvious it's not even funny - both are powerful spellcasters, but Nanoha beats Black Mage effortlessly in physical combat. Yes, even 9-year old Nanoha.

Obrysii
2010-01-20, 06:29 PM
The power levels are way too different. Lina takes this, handily.

The only way Naruto could beat her is if he was driven to nearly breaking the seal (ala the Eight-Tailed manifestation) ... and even then, he'd still probably lose.

This is what it looked like (the Kyuubi manifestation was photoshopped in at the appropriate scale):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/obrysii/r9lloy.jpg

Plus it'd be very hard to match what Pein did to get Naruto to that state to begin with.

In short:

Kill Naruto's beloved teacher and godfather, Jiraiya, and brutally at that
Kill Kakashi
Kill Shizune
Destroy Konoha
Destroy Konoha's ramen shop (j/k)
Nearly kill Tsunade
Nearly kill Hinata after she confessed her love for him (He thought she was killed)
Goad Naruto into further rage
Make Naruto feel utterly helpless and totally at fault for all of the above.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-20, 07:01 PM
I gotta hand it to Naruto. Unlike Lina he is almost unkillable (He heals naturally from 9 Tailed's Fox's Magic).
The only issue with Naruto is he has few known abilities (Shadow clones, that ball Chi attack, etc). He is also smart but not very wise (so he does stuff that seem foolish and usually are)
He has Summons including demon frogs. He also has his Nine-Tailed Forms (full or partial). The Fox is a very powerful demon.
He also has Harem Jutsu vs the men.

Lina has more, but some are weak (fireball, etc). She has stronger ones, but Giga Slave has a chance it will end her world (we don't have any info it will end another world). She has immaturity issues, breast size issues, etc.

Soras Teva Gee
2010-01-20, 10:35 PM
Kyuubi doesn't even figure into this, Sage Naruto doesn't use it willingly and last time it took some MAJOR emotional triggers to come out. Nor is what happened in that battle something that can happen again. So if you want the fox you have to take Naruto at his earlier reduced power level. By the same token its very doubtful Lina would use Giga Slave, though I think its more then implied if she casts it the world won't actually end Lina doesn't know that.

That said, if Nine Tails then Giga Slave and our happy fox is nothing against L-sama.

Now stepping back Naruto has a crucial disadvantage: he can't actually fly. Lina can and does often, so unless this fight is inside it becomes a distance fight. To my recollection Naruto only has one long range attack in addition to his kunai. And its he can spam that Shuriken a lot less then Lina can her spells. And Naruto is not going to stand up to a Dragon Slave.

Harr
2010-01-21, 12:39 AM
Bottom line, Lina can actively decide, as in she has complete control over, whether she casts dragon slave/ragna blade/giga slave. Yeah she will hesitate, but if push comes to shove, she can choose to go ahead and do it. Plus she deals with super-powerful demons almost on a regular basis.

Meanwhile, Naruto needs to be goaded or tricked into unleashing his fox thing. And the fox might be a powerful demon, but as said above, Lina practically bullies "powerful demons" around for fun.

Match goes to Lina, hands down.

Setra
2010-01-21, 12:51 AM
Bottom line, Lina can actively decide, as in she has complete control over, whether she casts dragon slave/ragna blade/giga slave. Yeah she will hesitate, but if push comes to shove, she can choose to go ahead and do it.
Wait, Lina hesitates to use Dragon Slave? :smalltongue:

Prime32
2010-01-21, 04:23 AM
Wait, Lina hesitates to use Dragon Slave? :smalltongue:She'd explodify him before you can say "flat-chested". :smalltongue:

Analytica
2010-01-21, 05:11 AM
Now stepping back Naruto has a crucial disadvantage: he can't actually fly. Lina can and does often, so unless this fight is inside it becomes a distance fight. To my recollection Naruto only has one long range attack in addition to his kunai. And its he can spam that Shuriken a lot less then Lina can her spells. And Naruto is not going to stand up to a Dragon Slave.

Well, he has that toad-assisted water beam thing, but that's nothing against her attacks. I would say Naruto could survive the Dragon Slave, but that would be by dodging it/kuchiyose maneuver/switching with a clone or similar.

I did forget about flight though, which means Lina would win. Once she discovers he does close range, she would go up in the air and blast from there.

Setra
2010-01-21, 05:29 AM
Well, he has that toad-assisted water beam thing, but that's nothing against her attacks. I would say Naruto could survive the Dragon Slave, but that would be by dodging it/kuchiyose maneuver/switching with a clone or similar.
Is it really possible for him to dodge the Dragon Slave? The blast is quite large if I recall correctly, able to take out a small town in the first episode.

Even using Kuchiyose the ninja in Naruto never seem to stray too far from where they teleported, he might end up inside the blast radius anyways.

Prime32
2010-01-21, 07:04 AM
Is it really possible for him to dodge the Dragon Slave? The blast is quite large if I recall correctly, able to take out a small town in the first episode.
Well, I suppose he could always use the Reverse Summoning trick to escape in a toad. It worked for Sasuke, and he was out of chakra, right next to the explosion when it went off, and used a summon which had to be mind-controlled in order to not kill him. :smalltongue:

Sotharsyl
2010-01-21, 08:37 AM
I have to give this one to Lina, her series is based on a D&D/or something close enough campaign and she's a wizard,plus i'm not up to date with the anime but I don't think they're at Pain's invasion when Naruto gets the mother of all power ups,you also said teams i'm not sure how it would go in a mass combat but the Slayers have beside Lina their main character and Black Magic master a Shamanic Magic master and a Light Magic master plus Gourry so I think that they're not that behind of Lina's power,which I can't say for the ninja team,and in the End I think the Slayers just overpower them.

Sprainogre
2010-01-21, 12:26 PM
Lina all the way. Lina has large area affect spells, flight, defensive barriers, and crazy on her side. She doesn't understand restraint even on a level of concept. That, and she can take a few blows and keep going. With the other Slayers there to keep the heat of long enough for a little Darkness beyound the twilight, in crimson blood that flows... Well, by-by ninja's.