PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp Squad 2

Duke of URL
2010-01-20, 12:42 PM
Overnight guard duty. Again. It's important, you know, but it does seem like you find yourself drawing the short straw on scheduling all of the time. You're not sure why, but the Captain apparently doesn't like you. Oh well, you're not going to get any favors by complaining, and here in the guard house, at least there's a decent fire and some company. Probably also a game of dice, if you...

*BOOM*

The sound is instantly recognizable. Something is trying to ram down the gates.

*BOOM* *CRACK*

And they're succeeding. You know your duty. You must hold off the invaders until reinforcements can arrive.

Okay, recruits. Drop and give me a d20. An initiative roll, specifically. Look on your character sheet to find your initiative modifier.

Yarp
2010-01-20, 04:11 PM
Jauffry Wildarson, Human Fighter

What did I get myself into? thought Jauffry to himself. A fresh recruit to the guard, Jauffry decisively lifted himself from the stool he was sitting in, unsheathed his longsword, and prepared to face the danger that was attacking the wall. "Here we go again."

Initiative Roll with +1 modifier:
[roll0]

Equis
2010-01-20, 07:12 PM
Brom Toregson, Half-Orc Barbarian

Hearing the crash, Brom stiffened slightly before quickly getting up from his stool and speaking to the guard across from him.

"We finish dis later, Krag. You still owe me."

Having said that, Brom hefted his Greataxe from his back and prepared himself for combat.

Initiative Modifier = +1
[roll0]

Jaxon
2010-01-20, 08:01 PM
Garret Thornbough, Halfling Fighter

Upon hearing the crash Garret leaped to his feet with an oath, drawing his shortswords as he did so."What the hell was that!?"

[roll0]

TheGreatOne
2010-01-21, 08:04 PM
Collier MacMurray, Human Fighter

Late night guard duty was never the most exciting, and after a few shifts of this work Mac had found the perfect way to deal with it. Legs propped up, eyes shut. Of course, that all went to hell tonight.

"Brom...Shut the hell up...." he murmured. Then another crash. "Brom, I said KNOCK" That's when he finally opened his eyes, and saw everyone sprinting.

"Oh."

Swinging his feet to the ground, Mac drew his longsword and sprinted to join his fellow guards at the gate. Maybe tonight wouldn't be so dull after all.

[roll0]

Duke of URL
2010-01-22, 07:26 AM
The gates come crashing down and into the alley-style entrance to town, you can see eight short, yellow-tinged humanoids. Goblins. They look ready for a fight, and you can sense that they have reinforcements that will likely arrive before yours.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1227739/Squad%202.jpg

Pick a color to represent your PC. First-come, first-served. We'll use these colors from here on, however.

So, let's get some goblin initiative rolls:

[roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3], [roll4], [roll5], [roll6], [roll7]

Now, let's talk about actions in combat, and your options.

In general, you have a standard action and a move action you can use in a combat round (there's also something called a swift action, but that doesn't apply right now). Some actions are a "full-round" action, which use both your standard action and your move action.

Moving with a move action allows you to move up to your maximum movement rate. For each 5' of movement you have, you can move one square on the map; diagonal movement costs 1.5 squares per move -- due to rounding down, this means the first diagonal costs 1 square of movement, the second 2 squares of movement, the 3rd 1 again, etc.

A normal melee attack is a standard action. This means you can move and attack in the same round. However, our halfling fighter must use a full-round action to gain the benefits of both weapons; (s)he can attack with just the main hand as a standard action or with both hands as a full-round action. Given your sizes (small and medium) and weapons, you can only attack ("threaten") an opponent occupying one of the 8 squares adjacent to your own.

In any round where you don't actually move (but are free to move), you may elect to take a free 5' (1 square) step. While trying to move past or around opponents might normally provoke a retaliatory attack, movement with a 5' step never does.

So, your basic options at this point are to:

1) Wait for the goblins to come to you. If you get to act before they do, you can ready an action, to, for example: "attack the first goblin to come within reach".

2) Go meet them. You can

a) Take a move action to get to them (or get close), and then attack (if possible) with a standard action -- if you can't get all the way to them, you can ready an attack with your standard action as above.

b) Take a "double move" by using your standard action as a second move action (you can do this, but not vice-versa) to get to the goblins, but you won't be able to attack on your turn this round.

c) Use the charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#charge) maneuver. If you move in a straight line and there are no obstacles in your way (including any teammates), you may move at twice your movement speed and make a single melee attack (as with a standard action) against a target. You gain a +2 to attack rolls for charging, but also take -2 to your armor class until the start of your next turn. See the link for definitions and restrictions.

For any of the attacking options, you may apply a feat if you have an applicable one. For example, the human fighter can use Combat Expertise to lower attack bonus for a bonus to armor class and the half-orc barbarian can use power attack to sacrifice attack bonus for extra damage.

Duke of URL
2010-01-22, 10:34 AM
Man, those goblins got good rolls. After the colors on the map are claimed, I'll resolve their first actions.

21 Goblin 1
21 Goblin 4
18 Goblin 5
18 Goblin 7
17 Goblin 2
17 Goblin 3
16 Garret
10 Goblin 6
10 Goblin 8
7 Brom
4 Jauffry
3 Collier

Yarp
2010-01-22, 02:49 PM
Claiming the green circle (Jauffry)

TheGreatOne
2010-01-22, 03:00 PM
Mac's feeling lucky, and claims the red circle.

Equis
2010-01-22, 06:59 PM
I shall claim the Yellow circle.

Jaxon
2010-01-22, 08:46 PM
Well, I guess Garret's blue then.