PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Paragon Feats 4e

HMS Invincible
2010-01-20, 02:41 PM
At lvl 12, I'm not sure which feats I should keep and which I should retrain from heroic to paragon level feats. What feats should I keep as a lvl 12 human wizard bloodmage?
I have action surge, expertise, enlarge, quick draw, and familiar for heroic. Paragon is spell focus, 2nd implement, war wizardry and arcane reach.

Mando Knight
2010-01-20, 02:44 PM
Swap out Quick Draw for Dual Implement Spellcaster. I really don't see why you'd need Quick Draw...

Sinon
2010-01-20, 04:36 PM
Bonus to initiative and some GMs are sticklers about drawing things. (Personally, I'm not.)

I like Psychic Lock: -2 penalty to-hit inflicted whenever you hit them with a psychic power. Its usefullness depends on how many psychic power you have though.

Kaziel
2010-01-20, 06:02 PM
To properly give you advice, a quick overview of the keywords your powers have would be ideal. :)

HMS Invincible
2010-01-20, 06:09 PM
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Lord Mark the Messenger, level 12
Human, Wizard, Blood Mage
Build: Illusionist Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery: Staff of Defense
Second Implement: Orb of Imposition
Background: Occupation - Scholar, Society - Noble, Society - Wealthy (Arcana class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 16, Dex 16, Int 23, Wis 18, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 15, Dex 15, Int 18, Wis 15, Cha 13.

AC: 30 Fort: 24 Reflex: 27 Will: 27
HP: 70 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 17

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +15, Arcana +17, History +17, Religion +17, Dungeoneering +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +9, Heal +10, Insight +10, Intimidate +8, Perception +10, Stealth +9, Streetwise +8, Thievery +9, Athletics +6

FEATS
Wizard: Ritual Caster
Human: Quick Draw
Level 1: Action Surge
Level 2: Enlarge Spell
Level 4: Implement Expertise (staff)
Level 6: Arcane Familiar
Level 8: Dual Implement Spellcaster (retrained to Arcane Reach at Level 12)
Level 10: Shielding Familiar (retrained to Second Implement at Level 11)
Level 11: Spell Focus
Level 12: War Wizardry

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Chilling Cloud
Wizard at-will 1: Storm Pillar
Wizard at-will 1: Thunderwave
Wizard encounter 1: Orbmaster's Incendiary Detonation
Wizard daily 1: Sleep
Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Flaming Sphere
Wizard utility 2: Shield
Wizard utility 2 Spellbook: Feather Fall
Wizard encounter 3: Color Spray
Wizard daily 5: Stinking Cloud
Wizard daily 5 Spellbook: Bigby's Icy Grasp
Wizard utility 6: Wizard's Escape
Wizard utility 6 Spellbook: Levitate
Wizard encounter 7: Twist of Space
Wizard daily 9: Wall of Fire
Wizard daily 9 Spellbook: Face of Death
Wizard utility 10: Blur
Wizard utility 10 Spellbook: Mass Resistance

ITEMS
Spellbook, Adventurer's Kit, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Staff of the War Mage +1, Potion of Healing (heroic tier), Orb of Insurmountable Force +2, Orb of Insurmountable Force +1, Wavestrider Boots (heroic tier), Residuum (Any) (1541), Dagger (10), Magic Staff +3, Cap of Water Breathing (heroic tier), Phrenic Crown (heroic tier), Potion of Resistance (heroic tier) (9), Hat of Disguise (heroic tier), Gravespawn Potion (heroic tier), Fire Beetle Potion (heroic tier), Potion of Stormshield (heroic tier), Potion of Regeneration (heroic tier), Terror Ichor (heroic tier), Master's Wand of Thunderwave +1, Earthroot Staff +1, Sunleaf Feyweave Armor +4, Viper Belt (heroic tier), Eternal Chalk (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Gloves of Piercing (heroic tier), Executioner's Bracers (heroic tier), Griffon, Defensive Staff +2, Kruthik Potion (heroic tier), Ioun's Parchment (heroic tier), Restful Bedroll (heroic tier), Catstep Boots (heroic tier), Riding Boots (heroic tier), Light Barding, Familiar's Baldric +1, Mirrored Caparison (heroic tier), Horseshoes of Speed (heroic tier), Blessed Book (heroic tier), Rust Bark (paragon tier), Rushing Cleats (heroic tier), Long Battle Tattoo (heroic tier), Gauntlets of the Ram (heroic tier), Shadowfell Gloves (heroic tier), Communal Dagger +1, Staff of Storms +1, Salve of Power (heroic tier), Ring of Cold, Cloak of Distortion +3, Headband of Intellect+2, Potion of Clarity (level 5) (2), Dust of Disenchantment (heroic tier), Everlasting Provisions (heroic tier), Boots of Striding (heroic tier), Ring of AC +1, Fine Clothing, Boots of the Fencing Master (heroic tier)
RITUALS
Animal Messenger, Tenser's Floating Disk, Enchant Magic Item, Speak with Dead, Knock, Silence, Disenchant Magic Item, Scroll of Animal Messenger (3), Scroll of Silence, Scroll of Tenser's Floating Disk, Scroll of Enchant Magic Item, Scroll of Knock, Scroll of Disenchant Magic Item, Scroll of Speak with Dead, Unseen Servant, Scroll of Unseen Servant, Sending, Scroll of Sending, Raise Dead, Scroll of Raise Dead, Eye of Alarm, Tenser's Binding, Scroll of Lower Water, Lower Water, Scroll of Last Sight Vision, Last Sight Vision, Transfer Enchantment, Disorienting Portal, Linked Portal, Scroll of Linked Portal, Scroll of Disorienting Portal, Wizard's Sight, Magic Map, Detect Object, Cure Disease, Endure Elements, Scroll of Endure Elements, Magic Circle, Make Whole, Gentle Repose
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Kurald Galain
2010-01-20, 07:06 PM
I have action surge, expertise, enlarge, quick draw, and familiar for heroic. Paragon is spell focus, 2nd implement, war wizardry and arcane reach.
You probably don't need both spell focus and arcane reach, depending on your spell selection. All heroic feats are solid, though, and you should definitely keep those.

Danger sense is always good. White lotus stuff is also decent. A multiclass feat can be nice. If you're interested in boosting damage (but only then), dual implement is a good choice.

(edit) there appear to be multiple sets of boots and gloves on your equipment list. How does that work? I would recommend selling some.

Swap out Quick Draw for Dual Implement Spellcaster. I really don't see why you'd need Quick Draw...
Because it's one of the best feats a wizard can get, actually. Check the guide in my sig.

HMS Invincible
2010-01-21, 03:28 AM
The boots are there because I'm testing out each set and seeing which one works the best. So far, rushing cleats just for the push power, I don't need extra speed and the action economy doesn't permit wasting actions shifting when I could be casting. I'll probably give it to other people. The gloves are interesting though, according to RAW, the last item you put on is the magic item in effect. So if you have shadowfell gloves over your gloves of piercing, you can cast, and as a free action remove your gloves to activate your gloves of piercing.

Strangely enough, my DM allowed it even before I explained how it worked. Of course, its always a thought exercise in what order you want your gloves on, but you can always take the minor (or less, quick draw is fuzzy about this) action it takes to put on a different set of gloves.

Anyway, explain why arcane reach and spell focus are exclusive of each other. So far, I only have 3 things that have saving throws: Sleep, face of death, and blood action class feature.

Kurald Galain
2010-01-21, 03:52 AM
The boots are there because I'm testing out each set and seeing which one works the best.
Ah. My personal preference would be fencing master, but I agree that rushing cleats also sound useful (the rest... probably not, except wavestriders situationally)

The gloves are interesting though, according to RAW, the last item you put on is the magic item in effect. So if you have shadowfell gloves over your gloves of piercing, you can cast, and as a free action remove your gloves to activate your gloves of piercing.
Really? That's pretty funny. By the way, if you like pushing stuff, may I recommend gauntlets of the ram?

Anyway, explain why arcane reach and spell focus are exclusive of each other.
Well, (1) arcane reach is primarily for blasters and spell focus primarily for stunlockers, and (2) arcane reach works on close spells and (save ends) spells are almost exclusively long range. That's why I said that "you probably don't need both".