PDA

View Full Version : (3.5e Epic Spell) Cloister

Gitman00
2010-01-20, 05:05 PM
I did a quick search and didn't see this one anywhere, so I thought I'd homebrew it up. I did it two ways, and I'll explain my reasoning afterwards.
In-comic reference: The Exposition Fairy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html)

Method 1:

Cloister

Abjuration

Spellcraft DC: 109
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 10 Minutes
Range: Long (400 ft + 40/lvl)
Target: 1 mile radius and all creatures within
Duration: 1 week per caster level
Saving Throw: None or Will negates (harmless, object)
To Develop: 981,000 gp; 20 days; 39,240 XP. Seeds: conceal (DC 17), ward (DC 14). Factors: increase duration to 1 wk/lvl (+14 DC), change from target to area 20ft radius (+10 DC), increase area to 1-mile radius (+32 DC), use conceal seed to block divinations (+6 DC), effect lingers on creatures leaving the area (ad hoc +4 DC), use ward seed to block transportation and communication spells up to epic level (+36 DC). Mitigating factors: increase casting time by 9 minutes (-18 DC), allow summoning spells within the area of effect (ad hoc -2 DC), material focus - headband containing a canary diamond worth at least 25,000 gp that is worn while casting (ad hoc -4 DC)

This spell blocks all divination and communication spells, spell-like effects, and epic spells developed using the reveal or contact seed upon a given area. Any creature present within the area of effect when the spell is cast continues to be warded, even if it leaves the area. The spell also blocks all magical transportation into, but not out of, the area. Summoning spells are still effective.

Method 2:

Cloister

Abjuration

Spellcraft DC: 183
Components: V, S, F, XP
Casting Time: 10 Minutes
Range: Long (400 ft + 40/lvl)
Target: 1 mile radius and all creatures within
Duration: 1 week per caster level
Saving Throw: None or Will negates (harmless, object)
To Develop: 1,647,000 gp; 33 days; 65,880 XP. Seeds: conceal (DC 17), ward (DC 14). Factors: increase duration to 1 wk/lvl (+50 DC), change from target to area 20ft radius (+10 DC), increase area to 1-mile radius (+264 DC), use conceal seed to block divinations (+6 DC), lingering effect on creatures leaving the area (ad hoc +4 DC), use ward seed to block transportation and communication spells up to epic level (+36 DC). Mitigating factors: burn 20,000 XP during casting (-200 DC), increase casting time by 9 minutes (-18 DC), allow summoning spells within the area of effect (ad hoc -2 DC) material focus - headband containing a canary diamond worth at least 25,000 gp that is worn while casting(ad hoc -4 DC)

This spell blocks all divination and communication spells, spell-like effects, and epic spells developed using the reveal or contact seed upon a given area. Any creature present within the area of effect when the spell is cast continues to be warded, even if it leaves the area. The spell also blocks all magical transportation into, but not out of, the area. Summoning spells are still effective.

XP Cost: 20,000

I changed the school from Illusion to Abjuration because Xykon specifically calls it the most powerful abjuration ever devised, and it also makes more sense when you add the transportation protection.

Now, as for the two different methods. In the development rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/developingEpicSpells.htm), the language is rather ambiguous when it comes to increasing the area and duration. It could be taken to mean A) that each time you double it (e.g. 20-40-80-160), you add the DC modifier, or B) that each time you add the original amount (e.g. 20-40-60-80) you add the modifier. The first method uses assumption A and gives us a DC of 133 before mitigating factors, and the second method uses assumption B, giving us a DC of 407 before mitigating factors.

Thoughts?

Edit: After further consideration, I've added the Ward seed for blocking transportation.
Edit Again: I forgot to block communication spells in the original writeup. Fixed.

DracoDei
2010-01-20, 05:18 PM
Wasn't there some sort of odd loop-hole? Summoning magic still works in the area or something?

Siosilvar
2010-01-20, 05:32 PM
Wasn't there some sort of odd loop-hole? Summoning magic still works in the area or something?

Correct.

Probably an ad-hoc DC +2.

Kumo
2010-01-20, 05:35 PM
i got the impression the only thing needed for Cloister was the material focus, and maaaaaybe (a bit of a stretch here) that the original maker of the focus needs to be alive... though i'm probably wrong.

Also, summonings into the area still work.

Dante & Vergil
2010-01-20, 09:46 PM
Neat! No scry and die for you!
If I were to pic, I would let the first one go through because that second has DC that is just too high.

Lysander
2010-01-21, 09:38 AM
You can lower the DC by making Cloister vulnerable to other epic spells. Remember V could use Epic Teleport to get inside? Just make any epic scrying or teleportion attempt require an opposed caster check. On the other hand, it does seem like you'd need to raise the DC for the effect lingering on creatures even after they leave the area.

Gitman00
2010-01-21, 03:44 PM
You can lower the DC by making Cloister vulnerable to other epic spells. Remember V could use Epic Teleport to get inside? Just make any epic scrying or teleportion attempt require an opposed caster check. On the other hand, it does seem like you'd need to raise the DC for the effect lingering on creatures even after they leave the area.

True. The Conceal seed specifically states that it blocks even epic divinations, so I just left it that way, but left it vulnerable to Epic Teleport after seeing V's entrance. If I were developing the spell from scratch without the comic as a reference, I'd block epic teleportation as well. I assume the Giant let V teleport in for story purposes, since it would be lame to have him/her just bounce off the Cloister spell. Good point about the lingering effect on the creatures, though. Probably worth an ad-hoc +4 or so. I'll add it.

Yes; I didn't put it in because I assumed there would be no real reason to add that loophole if you didn't have a hot elf girlfriend to sneak into your bedroom. Although, now that I think of it, there would be a tactical advantage of an epic caster still being able to use his summoning spells within his fortress of solitude. Dorukan did use Gate in his duel with Xykon. I'll have to think that one over.

Correct.

Probably an ad-hoc DC +2.

I dunno... I might make that a mitigating factor, since it actually adds a vulnerability.

Lapak
2010-01-21, 04:14 PM
True. The Conceal seed specifically states that it blocks even epic divinations, so I just left it that way, but left it vulnerable to Epic Teleport after seeing V's entrance. Wasn't Roy able to watch as well, through the Epic Scrying Pool In The Clouds? It seems vulnerable to epic scrying in the comic anyway.

PirateMonk
2010-01-21, 08:20 PM
Wasn't Roy able to watch as well, through the Epic Scrying Pool In The Clouds? It seems vulnerable to epic scrying in the comic anyway.

From the SRD:

In all cases where divination magic of any level, including epic level, is employed against the subject of a spell using the conceal seed for this purpose, an opposed caster level check determines which spell works.

The pool probably just had a much higher caster level than Xykon.

Gitman00
2010-01-22, 07:34 AM
From the SRD:

In all cases where divination magic of any level, including epic level, is employed against the subject of a spell using the conceal seed for this purpose, an opposed caster level check determines which spell works.

The pool probably just had a much higher caster level than Xykon.

Point. That probably means Cloister works against Epic Teleport as well; V's caster level was just ungodly high.

Degnared
2010-01-22, 04:06 PM
I took the rumbling as V cast Epic Teleport to represent an opposed caster level check.

Tao the Ninja
2010-01-22, 06:01 PM
I think somewhere it said that "it blocks blah blah blah unless the other caster was using epic magic too". I don't think you need a caster level check.

Degnared
2010-01-22, 06:26 PM
Best explanation so far. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html) Without Epic magic all attempts are blocked outright. That doesn't necessarily mean that using Epic magic would be an automatic win, either. In Epic vs. Epic I would expect some dice to roll.

Gitman00
2010-01-27, 09:46 AM
Best explanation so far. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html) Without Epic magic all attempts are blocked outright. That doesn't necessarily mean that using Epic magic would be an automatic win, either. In Epic vs. Epic I would expect some dice to roll.

Indeed. That's built into the seed. Anyone attempting to defeat the spell using epic magic must make a caster level check.