PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion-themed rogue

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-20, 07:17 PM
Recently I cheked the Prg Class Scorpion Wratth from secrets of Xen'driks, it is highly flavorful (at least to me) and I want to try it.

Now the problem it requires Wild Empathy to qualify for ir, of hand I only remember 3 classes giving it (Druid, Ranger and Totemist)

Now in the your opinion which is the best class to quallify for Scorpion Wraith?

Druid gives me animal companion and spell casting, ranger track and FE Totemist souldmelds, the problem is scorpion wrath doesn't progress any of those features so I need to see which looses less.

Also is there other class that haves wild empathy in low levels (1-3 at most)?

Starbuck_II
2010-01-20, 07:19 PM
Can you explain what the Prc class does? I don't have that book.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-20, 07:23 PM
Well basically Scorpion Wraiths are the elite Guerilla troups of the Xen'drik's Drow

They get sudde strike, bonus on hide and move silently, can gain bilndsight some times a day, poison use, and a poison like ability.
not really powerfull but I like them

Thurbane
2010-01-20, 09:28 PM
Not sure if it fits this character, but the Scorpion Heritor PrC from Sandstorm deserves a mention...

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-20, 09:32 PM
Not sure if it fits this character, but the Scorpion Heritor PrC from Sandstorm deserves a mention...

As does the PrC from Heroes of Battle.

Thurbane
2010-01-20, 09:36 PM
As does the PrC from Heroes of Battle.
Dread Commando?

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-20, 09:38 PM
Ranger all the way. FE doesn't progress, but you do get a source of bonus damage to replace it, and Track doesn't do anything unless you put ranks in survival anyway. I'll bet that scorpion wraith gives decent skill points so as long as you build up to it knowing you're going to be spending CC skill points once you get there it really doesn't hurt at all.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-20, 09:42 PM
Dread Commando?

There we go. Forgot the name.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-20, 11:13 PM
Actually I was planning yo hop onto scorpion inheritor after finishing Scorpion wriath (it's only 5 lvls long)

Optimystik
2010-01-20, 11:22 PM
When I saw this thread, I was thinking Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. :smallredface:

Keld Denar
2010-01-20, 11:33 PM
Totemist2 at LEAST would be a good investment, as this would open your Totem bind and allow you to bind Girallon Claws to your Totem Chakra. That would give you 4 natural attacks, which you could use as 2ndary natural attacks with some other form of attack. More attacks means more sudden strike, when you qualify for it. Its a force multiplier.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-21, 09:00 AM
How does this stub build looks?

Azurin Totemist 2/Rogue 4/ Scorpion Wraith 5 / X

At level 12 I take split chakra totem so I can bind both Girallon arms and manticore belt.
The girallon arms refluffed as Pincers and the manticore belt refluffed as a stinger.

Person_Man
2010-01-21, 10:58 AM
For those who want more details:

Scorpion Wraith: 5 levels, full BAB, Ranger-ish Skills, Poison Use, +3d6 Sudden Strike, Wild Empathy (that also applies to Vermin), +4 unnamed Initiative bonus if there is a Surprise Round, a few minor Darkness related abilities, and the ability to produce a strong Poison (1d10 Con, DC 15 + Wis mod) 1+Wis bonus times per day.

I have a very low opinion of Sudden Strike and Poison with such limited use and Save DC, so I wouldn't bother with it. You can add much better bonus damage and effects with strait Totemist (or Druid, or Alter Self, etc).

But if you do take it, I would go Totemist 5/Beast Heart Adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070209a&page=4) 1/Scorpion Wraith 5

Now you have Wild Empathy that can influence animals, magical beasts (regardless of Int), vermin, and aberration (of low Int). You can buy a Pendant of Dragon Empathy (Comp Adv p134) to influence Dragons of low Int using Handle Animal. And all of your class levels stack to determine it's effectiveness.

Unicorn Horn soulmeld provides a Competence bonus to Wild Empathy and Move Silently. You can bind it for a Gore attack (generally a hard attack to find, unlike the 4 dozen ways to get claw attacks) if you really want to. Beast Tamer Circlet soulmeld provides an Insight bonus to Wild Empathy and Handle Animal. And you still have plenty of soulmelds and all of your chakra binds to get natural

Also note that you can use Handle Animal to extract poison from a friendly poison producing animal (Drow of the Underdark), and save it for when you need it. This makes your Poison Use ability worthwhile.

Buy a Fanged Ring for Improved Unarmed Strike (which doesn't get in the way of claws, since you can kick, head butt, etc). Bind Girallon Arms and/or Dragon Tail or whatever. (Check out Dragon mag 350 if you can. Has a few awesome Totemist soulmelds). And you're set.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-21, 12:37 PM
Beast heart adept is for gaining an Animal companion from which I can milk poison right?

Do you think that trying to convince the DM to convert Sudden strike to sneak attack viable? on the grounds that the character will be most likely a rogue a hence instead of learning a new skill (Sudden strike) improving an older one (sneak attack)

FoE
2010-01-21, 12:55 PM
You can't imagine how disappointed I was to learn you weren't building a character based on this guy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b0/Scorpion_mkvsdc.jpg

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-21, 12:57 PM
Now that thats' on the table.....