PDA

View Full Version : Creating Augment Crystals

Jastermereel
2010-01-20, 10:45 PM
I was looking at the Augment Crystals in the Magic Item Compendium and wondering if it made sense to apply the same mechanic to other weapon/armor upgrades. If there isn't anything inherently broken with the idea, how much gold should an augment crystal replicating a different weapon property cost?

I'd like to be able to give my players options with their weapons without making them carry a ton of alternate weapons. One of them wields a fairly unusual weapon which makes it tricky to justifiably upgrade it; you don't find many Large great swords just sitting around in treasure piles or town stores, whether by default treasure tables or by reasonable veracity. On the other hand, finding assorted augment crystals means that she could experiment with a variety of properties with relative ease.

Unfortunately, there's a fairly small selection of Augment Crystals compared with the larger assortment of +1 or even +2 weapon properties. Assuming each was treated as a lesser augment crystal (only usable with a +1 or better weapon) how much should they be worth?

Godskook
2010-01-20, 11:10 PM
A quick comparison between the flaming weapon property and the crystal of energy assault suggests that a +1 weapon bonus is equivalent to 3k as an orb