PDA

View Full Version : Playing a weapon

Grifthin
2010-01-21, 03:12 AM
I don't know if you guys are familiar with Daemon weapons from warhammer 40K/Fantasy - but what would be th ideal Race Class Combo for 3.5 if you want to play a Sentient Weapon.

I was thinking perhaps a Warforged in the shape of a Great Sword with Cleric Levels - is there a domain that grants repair spells ?

The main reason is I want to do a weapon of great power - but I want it to be dangerous. ie you make a willsave when using the weapon but you can use it to cast blade barrier or fully heal yourself etc.

Grumman
2010-01-21, 03:38 AM
What level are you starting at?

I'd suggest asking the DM if you can pretend you've got a Warforged Artificer with Tools of War and some feats hanging around, and just play the intelligent weapon this imaginary Artificer is upgrading.

Or even better, have your cohort like this, and play the guy wielding this Daemon weapon

Simba
2010-01-21, 03:42 AM
I once had a player in my group doing the weapon character. It was a sentient weapon that could improve its bonusses over time and gained special abilities. he liked to get himself a nice sturdy wearer to dominate and have him wield it. Worked nicely until he came upon a paladin who did not find it funny and regularly made his Will save.

Eldan
2010-01-21, 03:53 AM
If you want to go the warforged route, how about this:

Start as some sort of melee class, then go into Kensai. Take improved/superior unarmed strike, get a battle fist. Make the battle fist your Kensai weapon. You can now enchant your own fist to epic levels. The rest is fluffing at will.
Or take artificer.

Superglucose
2010-01-21, 04:22 AM
I don't know if you guys are familiar with Daemon weapons from warhammer 40K/Fantasy - but what would be th ideal Race Class Combo for 3.5 if you want to play a Sentient Weapon.

This (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm) right here. I'd say play a Rogue and take Leadership so that you "remain" useful in combat via your wielder. Give yourself Mage Hand and go into Arcane Trickster maybe?

Does anyone have any ideas for making intelligent items work?

JaronK
2010-01-21, 04:50 AM
The simple way to do this is via Haunt Shift... be a Wizard, then Haunt Shift yourself into a sword or something. Make sure the sword has tiny hands so it can use spells with Somatic components. You can even use a Hilt Hollow (Complete Scoundrel) to keep your spell components in. Now you can be a sword. Make sure to cast Hardness on yourself as well as Augment Object, so as to be impossible to sunder (effectively).

Psions can of course do this too in a similar manner.

JaronK

Prime32
2010-01-21, 05:09 AM
Play a Fiend of Possession. This is more viable if your race is dvati (they get two bodies and you can thus possess an item twice for double the bonuses). If there's any objection to double-possession, ask how it's worse than possessing two items. Or heck, possess both sides of a double weapon.

Person_Man
2010-01-21, 12:55 PM
There's a PrC in 3.0 that possesses items or other creatures and essentially can't be killed while in a host. I think it might be the Fiend of Possession that Prime32 suggests, but I can't recall.

Fishy
2010-01-21, 12:57 PM
Warforged Monk -> Kensai.

Enchant your Unarmed Strike with the Morphing property, turn your entire body into a sword.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-21, 01:02 PM

Enchant your Unarmed Strike with the Morphing property, turn your entire body into a sword.
So. . .
"Transformers! Transform and draw steel!"
That's rather awesome actually.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-21, 01:05 PM
Or just have someone else play the warrior, then do the Sandwich Psion trick to play as his weapon.

Prime32
2010-01-21, 01:14 PM

I have made a build combining that with FoP to turn into a gun. A really big gun. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTmxxO3hvZE#t=44s)

subject42
2010-01-21, 01:44 PM
I've actually done this by playing sandwich psion tricks and abusing leadership. It's a lot of fun, if weird.