PDA

View Full Version : DriveThruRPG offer for Haiti

kamikasei
2010-01-21, 05:04 AM
Seen this in a few other places on the board but I think people are worried posting it here, where it might find the most suitable audience, might violate board rules. I don't think so, so let's chance it.

DriveThruRPG has an offer (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/rpg_haiti.php?&SRC=haiti) for >$1000 worth of RPG PDFs which you can get for donating $20 through them to Doctors Without borders for Haiti earthquake aid. As far as I can see all the money goes through as a donation, so even if you're not interested in the PDFs you can think of it as a way to make your donation stand not just for yourself but for the gamer community. If you've already donated through the site, you can still get the bundle by donating the difference.

(Most of these PDFs are fairly low-end, but note that they include the Serenity RPG, which normally costs $30 from the same site - it's a good deal even without the, y'know, charity.)

Hope some people might find this of interest.

kamikasei
2010-01-21, 05:15 AM
Also, DriveThruRPG says they'll match the donation, so if you 'buy' the $20 bundle, they will donate another $20 on top of that to Doctors Without Borders.

I think that's only for $5 or $10 donations.

KuReshtin
2010-01-21, 05:16 AM
Yeah. Noticed that. Deleted my previous post.

Matthew
2010-01-21, 02:09 PM
Some definitely interesting items in that list, though. Even if you are not moved to donate to Haiti, it is an amazing deal that has already raised $60,000.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-21, 02:16 PM
Serenity RPG, you say?

Even though I normally prefer books to PDFs, I might have to spring for this, due to the combo of good deal and charity.

arguskos
2010-01-21, 02:52 PM
Amusing note: there's already a thread about this asking permission in Board Issues. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I think I will be picking this up in the next day or two. It's too sweet a deal not to, and it goes to a good cause (Doctors Without Borders is one of my favorite charities). Sounds like a win-win to me.

kamikasei
2010-01-21, 03:02 PM
Amusing note: there's already a thread about this asking permission in Board Issues. :smallbiggrin:

That's where I saw it :P

Gralamin
2010-01-22, 02:18 AM
I just stumbled upon this as well, and so I'll repeat what has been mentioned:

It's a good cause, and a good deal.

Swordgleam
2010-01-22, 04:34 AM
I donated one of my products to the bundle, and I bought/donated as soon as it went live. It's a great deal all around.

Tried to check RPGNow to check the total just now, and it won't even load. Which is great news - it means tons of people are donating.

Satyr
2010-01-22, 05:53 AM
It's not complete free of problems though -when the charity money is earmakred for Haiti, it cannot used for any other projects or means. In the past, this has lead to some significant problems when bound money for certain projects cannot be used (the civil war in Sri Lanka was such a case) and will just lying around somewhere for ever.
As far as I can tell, the drivethru charity money is earmarked, which has the aforementioned problems.
So if you donate money, don't use a specific designated application for the contribution. It may lead to the situation where you donate and it has no significance at all because the people you gave the money to cannot spend it.

potatocubed
2010-01-22, 05:58 AM
Tried to check RPGNow to check the total just now, and it won't even load. Which is great news - it means tons of people are donating.

It was sitting at something like $81,000 this morning.

Swordgleam
2010-01-22, 01:16 PM
It was sitting at something like $81,000 this morning.

Up to $89k now. That's over 4,000 gamers donating! Go us.

Matthew
2010-01-22, 06:58 PM
Indeed; impressive, and also an interesting size sample of the active online role-playing community (that is with $20 to spare). Out of interest, what are people downloading? I have gotten a copy of Serenity, Shadows of Halfling Hall, Arms & Armour, Roma Imperious, The Raiders of Misty Ridge, and No Dignity in Death, so far.

Fendalus
2010-01-22, 07:21 PM
It's up to $95,745.00 now, which means at least 4,788 people have donated, assuming people only got this once and paid the maximum $20 where possible.

Matthew
2010-01-26, 05:25 PM
Still climbing slowly; I still have not downloaded even half the stuff, but I am glad I did not pay the cover price for that C&C Arms & Armour Guide.