PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Online

Fay Graydon
2010-01-21, 10:59 AM
I just found out that there's going to be (very soon to be released out of Beta) A Star Trek Online MMO!

www.startrekonline.com

Who else will be getting this game? :smallbiggrin:

I defiantly will be!

Ziren
2010-01-21, 12:58 PM
I won't decide before it's actually out and I can try it out myself (or at least watch other players videos and read reviews), but it got me interested, even though it is an MMO.

babeeroniea
2010-01-21, 01:39 PM
I just found out that there's going to be (very soon to be released out of Beta) A Star Trek Online MMO!

www.startrekonline.com

Who else will be getting this game? :smallbiggrin:

I defiantly will be!

I seems pretty nice. I was gonna play it if there was no monthly fee but there probably will be so i guess i wont be playing it. :smallsmile:

Derthric
2010-01-21, 01:41 PM
I am in the open beta right now, have to try it more before i make a final decision. If you want to try it preorder the game for 5 bucks somewhere and get a code to get into the beta. The Beta goes for about another week.

babeeroniea
2010-01-21, 01:52 PM
I am in the open beta right now, have to try it more before i make a final decision. If you want to try it preorder the game for 5 bucks somewhere and get a code to get into the beta. The Beta goes for about another week.

Is there gonna be a fee? That ruins games for me. I played. I shoot what is that game. the one with no fee... Guild Wars! I liked it a lot and played it for a long time since i didnt have to pay every month for something i already paid for. I wanted WOW but found out i had to pay every month. So then i ended up with nothing but five dollars and the dream of someday playing a 1 time payment, MMO.

Yuki Akuma
2010-01-21, 01:58 PM
...Looks like EVE to me.

So, uh, no. Not on your life.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-21, 02:05 PM
I will give it a try when the Trial will be out, but I am sceptic. Really sceptic. I don't think being part of a "guild" in a Star Trek verse is appropriate. Nor seeing 50 players running around with Sovereign Class warships.

Derthric
2010-01-21, 02:40 PM
Is there gonna be a fee? That ruins games for me. I played. I shoot what is that game. the one with no fee... Guild Wars! I liked it a lot and played it for a long time since i didnt have to pay every month for something i already paid for. I wanted WOW but found out i had to pay every month. So then i ended up with nothing but five dollars and the dream of someday playing a 1 time payment, MMO.

Yes there is a subscription, my problem with a non subscription based game is it usually becomes reliant on microtransations to supply the revenue stream for the company to maintain the game. GW was actually quite good about reducing the impact of microtransations in game which was nice. But my rant is over on that.

I can say it is not as hardcore as EVE is, no spreadsheets and the space battles are alot more forgiving than EVE. Its hard to give a diffinitive opinion on the game now because its still just in beta and they are tweaking it all the time. But its holding my interest and I am curious to see where it goes. Curious enough to buy the game.......we'll see.

Cheesegear
2010-01-21, 05:45 PM
Do people 'not pay for MMOs' because they can't afford it? Or just on principle? Because I've got no problem with paying for a game - if it's any good, that is.

I paid to play WoW...When it got boring, I stopped paying. It was easy.
I paid to play DDO...When it got boring, I stopped paying. It was easy. And now DDO is free (although it is Freemium. Which kind of ruins the game for me. However, now that people are playing DDO again, I might go back to it - and pay for it)
I paid to play WAR...When people stopped playing, I stopped paying. It was easy (WAR was never boring, and I'm probably going back soon).
I played Champions Online...Used all my free time. Never paid. Because I didn't like it.

Frankly, they're providing me with a service. Continuous round-the-clock development cycles and patches released every two or three weeks. Developers need to get paid. Some MMOs deserve to be paid for. Some don't. And I don't play those. Problem solved.
I'm not sure how Guild Wars does it and manages to stay in business...

I'll probably buy Star Trek Online, use all my free time, probably give it a few more months (MMOs are never good in the first month after release) and then I'll decide if I pay more for it or not...

Green-Shirt Q
2010-01-21, 06:57 PM
This topic came up once before on these boards, and I said how I hated the idea of a EVE clone with Star Trek wallpaper and was going to stay as far away from it as I do EVERY MMO. I also went on a huge rant about how I would make the game.

I have recently heard a lot more about it from the review of the preview (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7055-Preview-Star-Trek-Online) on The Escapist, and it sounds appealingly close to my vision. Not 100%, but at least you are able to take control of the PEOPLE and solve problems that's not just randomly killing things (it seems).

I am optimistic about it and considering getting it when it's finished (though I might instead wait for a while until it's polished a little), but I still probably won't play it. I have very little spare time as it is, and I cannot afford to lose it on time consuming MMOs! All my spare time is put into my webcomics, making stupid posts on these forums, or playing MANLY, REAL games like Batman: Arkham Asylum, Brütal Legend, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-21, 07:37 PM
The review sounds nice. I like the uniform customization, which kinda takes something from the original Star Trek, where originally, all starships had their custom Starfleet Insignia.

I.. think I will try it out seriously, between CFA exams :smallbiggrin:

Fay Graydon
2010-01-22, 02:30 PM
As a die hard trekky I plan on getting it.
Thankfully ive never played EVE... not even sure what it is.
But I loved Earth and Beyond and im hoping this can fill the void that was left when EaB was shut down :smallfrown:

Athaniar
2010-01-22, 03:46 PM
I've heard some good things about it, although one preview stated that ground missions were, well, horrible.

Ilena
2010-01-22, 03:47 PM
a friend is playing the beta now, and says its good and whatnots, so i may get it and play but who knows,

Toastkart
2010-01-22, 04:08 PM
I've heard both good and bad things about this game, and yes, a subscription is something that is definitely turning me off. I'll wait until there's a free trial and try it out before I buy it.

Actually, what I'd really like is a Star Trek single player rpg that's done well, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Gamerlord
2010-01-22, 04:11 PM
I'm not. I'm a die hard trekkie but this is obviously JAMMOG (Just Another Massively Multiplayer Online Game)

Maybe if the combat system was like a first-person shooter instead of the standard MMO formula of walk up to,shoot,shoot, kill, move on to next one, shoot, shoot, kill, continue.

Even then, I would have severe doubts because of the fact it is a MMO.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-01-22, 04:26 PM
Any of you would like to play what?

I think my first char would be.. hmm... a Bolian Engineer... :smallbiggrin:

mistformsquirrl
2010-01-26, 12:16 AM
...Looks like EVE to me.

So, uh, no. Not on your life.

I can promise you one thing: It's nothing like EVE - absolutely nothing like it at all. Well other than "You're in space and do stuff".

Whether you'd like it or not I can't say of course <,< but it's definitely not like EVE.

---

As for me... I've been in STO since closed beta; and overall I quite like it. Enough that I got a lifetime subscription >.>

It's going to be a very YMMV game though. I love it... but there are some folks who'll find it terrible for exactly the reasons I'm enjoying it <'x'>