PDA

View Full Version : Ranger's Apprentice

babeeroniea
2010-01-21, 12:37 PM
Has anyone here read the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flannagan? I am on Siege of macindaw book five.

Mr. Spock
2010-01-23, 12:19 AM
I have, they are really good books.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-01-23, 09:29 AM
Heh, Rangers Apprentice - aka the books that got me back into reading once my flirtations via Harry Potter started waning.

I own every book in the series and have read them on multiple occasions (I'm currently working my way through *again* just 'cause - reading 4 atm).

That said, in spite of how good his reading is and the fact that I love 'em to bits ...

The setting is appalling. Like, really really paper thin pretty much everywhere. Especially how he mixes modern attitudes and objects with 'medieval' living. It's just kind of jarring to see how damn wrong he gets.

onthetown
2010-01-23, 09:42 AM
I had heard they were good, but when I went to the book store looking for them they were in the little kids' section and the first one was paper-thin. I didn't want to spend $10 on something I would read in an hour (for reference, I read a 500 page novel in less than 4 hours, so obviously the first book of that series wouldn't keep me amused for long). Is it really worth it?

babeeroniea
2010-01-31, 08:06 PM
They are really good. I am on the fifth one and only started reading them a month or so ago. So i would say they are defiantly worth it. i couldn't put them down. I am not a very big reader, but these defiantly kept my attention.

GenPol
2010-01-31, 10:22 PM
They're not bad, I've read them a few times (yes, I reread all my books.... Even the bad ones...). Some read-throughs I absolutely love them, and other times I am mildly entertained by them. I get caught up on the historical unrealistic-ness of it sometimes I know, I know, its a fantasy book, that's still not an excuse!... Well, maybe it is, but it still irritates me for some reason.

But, yeah, to answer your original question, I'd say that they're at least worth reading. And they are very short books, but I usually end up buying books just because I reread them so much, it becomes worth it. If you don't do that though, maybe you should try a library instead of a bookshop.

babeeroniea
2010-02-02, 01:26 PM
I didnt buy them.(I wish i could) I got them from the library. So you should order them from your library if yours has the online catalog thing

Sanguine
2010-02-03, 10:38 AM
I've read the first two books, they were enjoyable not the best books ever but they kept me entertained.

Lupy
2010-02-03, 08:00 PM
My brother really liked them. I read the first two. They were good, but not awe inspiring.