PDA

View Full Version : A pirate or a sailor for an ocean/ship based adventure

realbombchu
2010-01-21, 02:39 PM
I would like to make a sailor character. I would like some help, though, on just about everything, because I'm not very good at making characters.

I would like to make a character who is captain of a caravel or a pinnace class ship from Stormwrack. I'm using DnD 3.5 for this character, and we're not playing the Savage Tide, this is something else.

I guess I would prefer ranger or rogue. I have the DMG (I DM sometimes), the MM, the PHB, DMG2, PHB2, CAdv, CArc, CDiv, and CWar, Races of Destiny, StrmWrck, and Sndstrm, so anything in those books is cool. I also recently got Tome of Battle: BoNS, if that helps. Thanks for the help. I've been playing for a couple years, but lately, I'm so aware of how little I know about this game, and I'm trying to get better.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-21, 02:41 PM
Bard/Legendary Captain with a Badge of Valor, Song of the Heart, Words of Creation, and similar. Has to be exalted, but when you're adding ~20 to-hit and damage to your entire crew, that seems like less of an issue. :smallbiggrin:

realbombchu
2010-01-21, 02:46 PM
Sounds interesting, but I don't have BoExDeeds (or BoViDarkness, by the way), so I can't do that, I think. I'd really rather not buy a book to make this character. Sure, I've done so before, but not anymore. I'm not saying your idea is bad, though.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-21, 02:48 PM
It works without Words of Creation, though not as well. The key is basically snagging everything that boosts IC, putting it on one character, then singing sea shanties in the back while your minions mooks party members kill stuff for you.

AtwasAwamps
2010-01-21, 03:16 PM
(or BoViDarkness, by the way)

Okay, so...

BoViDarkness was misread, for a split second, as "Bovine Darkness".

I got excited.

FIENDISH COWS.

Holy crap, my players are going to hate me next game...the SRD has stats for cows, right? ::wanders off::

realbombchu
2010-01-21, 04:04 PM
Okay, so...

BoViDarkness was misread, for a split second, as "Bovine Darkness".

I got excited.

FIENDISH COWS.

Holy crap, my players are going to hate me next game...the SRD has stats for cows, right? ::wanders off::

Hey, you're right, now that I take a second look. I would change it, but now I'm too amused.

Scipio
2010-01-21, 05:19 PM
I will second the vote for Bard/Legendary Captain. That is what I play in Savage Tide, and he is a lot of fun. I am going with Bard 17/LC 3, but there are a lot of options.

realbombchu
2010-01-21, 05:33 PM
Okay, so let's say I go that direction. What skills should I take? I read the skill section in Stormwrack, but that's a really long list, and I'm sure there are some I will never use. I think I'll have a 13 Intelligence (I use the elite array, so stop me if that stat is a dumb idea for my 13), and I want to play a human.